1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Blue collar wannabes - Why??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gilwood, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

err, as the sartorial lumberjack proves, a person doesn't necessarily look better if they wear clothes inspired by another era. what are you saying?

If you haven't figured it out, it's not worth my effort. Sorry. [​IMG]

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I agree with the sentiments of the opening post. There is this unofficial game that's been taking place between fashionably aware socialites to see who can spend the most money and effort into looking like a homeless person. This man is winning. Plaid work coat and bow tie? Christ.

[​IMG]

That's a beard!

3. j

j Senior member Admin

Neither mediocre, nor poor, but he dresses like crap everyday:

[​IMG]

fixed that for you

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Whatever. I never said being blue collar was a bad thing. The world needs ditch diggers too (caddyshack quote). I said WANNABE'S - read before you post.

I'm talking about the people sit in cubicles all day and wear work boots, cargo jeans, etc. They own a pickup truck, but the back is spotless because they have never hauled anything ever. It says "Offroad" in big letters on the side, but the tires have never seen anything besides pavement. They talk big about beating people up, but have never been in physical confrontation themselves.

I don't understand this fashion sense that people get pushed into. Why??

I know what you mean. my dad grew up wearing overalls, on a farm. he wouldn't ever let my mom dress us in overalls, and basically felt that any of that crap - dressing to fit a funciton that you don't fill, was a major sin.

the whole idea of grown men dressing up like something that they aren't gets me. cowboy boots and hats, pickup trucks, etc.

5. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I know what you mean. my dad grew up wearing overalls, on a farm. he wouldn't ever let my mom dress us in overalls, and basically felt that any of that crap - dressing to fit a funciton that you don't fill, was a major sin.

the whole idea of grown men dressing up like something that they aren't gets me. cowboy boots and hats, pickup trucks, etc.

We are our professions!

6. aizan

aizan Senior member

the whole idea of grown men dressing up like something that they aren't gets me.

isn't that an unavoidable part of following fashion? you could say the same thing about iGents.

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    More education = More skill & ability.

Boy.
    I can think of hundreds of instances in which this is disproven.

Heck, there are a dozen or so right here.

8. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

I don't think I'm better than them though. Other than my education... and my skill and ability and fashion sense and punctuation (additional and's added for irony).

PUNCTUATION FAIL: plural of "and" is "ands", not "and's"

9. globetrotter

isn't that an unavoidable part of following fashion? you could say the same thing about iGents.

damn right. following fashion is not exactly something men do, is it?

dressing like an idiot because some designer halfway around the world had a stupid idea or because some marketing guy put a lot into a sharp ad is probrably about as dumb as dressing like a cowboy or a carpenter, if you are neither.

I am not landed gentry, nor am I a cowboy. I do not dress like either. I don't change the cut of my suit every few years to follow fashion, either.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I am not landed gentry, nor am I a cowboy. I do not dress like either. I don't change the cut of my suit every few years to follow fashion, either.

I don't know man, that sure puts a lot of restraint on what you can wear. I wear jeans just about every day and I'm not a gold miner or a cowboy.

How exactly does a person figure out what someone in their own station is supposed to dress like?

11. gilwood

gilwood Senior member

Boy. I can think of hundreds of instances in which this is disproven. Heck, there are a dozen or so right here.

I hope your next doctor doesn't think that.

12. aizan

aizan Senior member

I don't know man, that sure puts a lot of restraint on what you can wear. I wear jeans just about every day and I'm not a gold miner or a cowboy.

How exactly does a person figure out what someone in their own station is supposed to dress like?

some groups of people have a lot of leeway. if you don't already know, you're probably part of one such group.

13. globetrotter

well, yeah, jeans are part of mainstream culture. and, frankly, there are jeans and there are jeans. jeans don't say "cowboy" they say "comfortable". I think that you can wear a peacoat without it saying "sailor", if you do it right. but at one point you cross the line.

14. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

some groups of people have a lot of leeway. if you don't already know, you're probably part of one such group.

Actually, I guess I'm part of a group that doesn't have much leeway at all and is expected to dress a certain way (I'm a lawyer). I just don't really give a fuck.

well, yeah, jeans are part of mainstream culture. and, frankly, there are jeans and there are jeans. jeans don't say "cowboy" they say "comfortable". I think that you can wear a peacoat without it saying "sailor", if you do it right. but at one point you cross the line.

I agree, but then it becomes a question of where the line is drawn. I agree with your examples, but I would add that you can wear carpenter jeans without it saying "carpenter" or cargo pants without it saying "soldier."

15. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Boy.
    I can think of hundreds of instances in which this is disproven.

Heck, there are a dozen or so right here.

Amen, about a thousand times.

16. globetrotter

I agree, but then it becomes a question of where the line is drawn. I agree with your examples, but I would add that you can wear carpenter jeans without it saying "carpenter" or cargo pants without it saying "soldier."

I believe most of us, who aren't tools, know where the line is. if you have lived your whole life in new jersey and you have 6 pair of cowboy boots and you wear cowboy belt buckles and a cowboy hat, you know who you are. I have a friend who grew up in texas and lives in chicago, who wears simple cowbody boots. I find that more or less acceptable. on me, it is wrong

17. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I don't know as much about fashion as most people here do, however, I'm a Texan and I can nerd out about cowboy related apparel....

If you wear actual cowboy boots to walk around in, you are a jackass. You are also uncomfortable, because cowboy boots are made for riding, not walking. However, ropers (flat soled cowboy boots) are acceptable casual wear if you're into that sort of thing.

Bolo ties, however, are never ok.

18. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I believe most of us, who aren't tools, know where the line is. if you have lived your whole life in new jersey and you have 6 pair of cowboy boots and you wear cowboy belt buckles and a cowboy hat, you know who you are. I have a friend who grew up in texas and lives in chicago, who wears simple cowbody boots. I find that more or less acceptable. on me, it is wrong

Agreed.

19. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

+1 for trooths

20. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I must say, reading this thread has given me flashbacks of some threads on AAAC of about two years ago.

I don't know as much about fashion as most people here do, however, I'm a Texan and I can nerd out about cowboy related apparel....

If you wear actual cowboy boots to walk around in, you are a jackass. You are also uncomfortable, because cowboy boots are made for riding, not walking. However, ropers (flat soled cowboy boots) are acceptable casual wear if you're into that sort of thing.

Oh, I don't know. I have family in San Antonio, and I've seen that look there...and no, it wasn't on tourists.