Blue Chinos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sidamo, Aug 7, 2012.

1. sidamo

sidamo Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I am putting together an outfit for a casual wedding in mid August. I'd like to wear a pair of slim fit blue chinos that I just bought. The shade is right between blue and navy blue. I was going to wear tan oxfords and maybe a red tie.

First off is it okay to wear a jacket or blazer with chinos?

Any suggestions on jacket color and shirt would be appreciated!

2. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

Might get some backlash on the red tie around here, unless it's a subdued or darker colour.

I've pressed some navy chinos and paired them with a stone/cream cotton sport coat for a couple of weddings this summer, including an outdoor ceremony. Wore with a white tattersall/grid shirt, blue on blue tie and a complementary plaid pocket square. Sunglasses were tortoise shell.

I'd not want to go to a wedding without a coat of some kind, but it's up to you - sans coat I would opt for a bow-tie over a long one.

3. sidamo

sidamo Well-Known Member

Thanks! Did you match the blue to the blue pants?

4. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

No, the pants were a dull navy cotton/linen blend. The tie was more of a mid blue - airforce with some texture and pattern. Pocket square had some lighter blue in the plaid. It was a pretty tight palette but I kept the blues varied to avoid being too matchy-matchy.