• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Blue blazer with blue buttons?

Chrenetique

Reaction score
On these forums, I sometimes read advocacy against metal buttons, and especially gold buttons, on blazers (which might look too "grandpa", yacht club, elderly fellow, blah blah blah).

But, what do these critics wear? Does this mean you can actually wear blazers with "normal" blue buttons?

If so, wouldn't you be afraid to look like you're wearing some orphan DB suit jacket?

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chrenetique
On these forums, I sometimes read advocacy against metal buttons, and especially gold buttons, on blazers (which might look too "grandpa", yacht club, elderly fellow, blah blah blah).

But, what do these critics wear? Does this mean you can actually wear blazers with "normal" blue buttons?

If so, wouldn't you be afraid to look like you're wearing some orphan DB suit jacket?

I've got several blazers including a blue SB with blue buttons. Patch pockets make it look more like a blazer than an orphaned suit jacket. If yours is db it's not so easy cos in my OPINION patch pockets look wrong on a DB.

Try a contrasting colour like horn, dark brown (esp. If you like to wear brown shoes) or enamel where you can get a contrast without people shouting "Ahoy There!"'at you.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

Smoked mother of pearl! I have a blazer with buttons just like this. If you are opposed to metal buttons these shine just as much, if not more. They are unique for sure. I've seen blue MOP that would look great on a blazer too. Even white MOP would be great on a blazer. Brown horn only works if the jacket has enough features to distinguish it from a suit jacket, like swelled edges and patch pockets.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brown horn buttons would look good, too.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have brass buttons with navy inlay that work well.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
Pretty much any button works with a navy blue blazer.

Some require correct context or charisma, but no jacket is as forgiving of variety on button composition.

- B

Bandit44

Reaction score
It's like replacing teeth; the only way to go is gold.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My blue sportcoat uses metallic buttons from the Weldon catalog. I think it's called oxidized or something similar, and they're a gray-blue. It matches up perfectly with the fabric (Cape Kid mohair).

--Andre

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.