• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue blazer buttons — bamboo, brick, bone?

goretexman

Reaction score
I would like to get myself a nice sports coat, that I could wear with khakis or even jeans, as well as with nicer pants. Furthermore, I would like it to be dark blue. This, obviously, lands me squarely in blue blazer land. Indeed, I have scouted out a single-breasted navy blue blazer that fits me very nicely. Unfortunately, the brass buttons worry me a bit. They are a bit too... blazing, for want of a better word. Would it be sartorially correct to have those buttons replaced with something else? If so, what? I have been trying to google up some pictures for inspiration, but so far this has not turned up anything very interesting.

And yes, I know that this is just a garment, and that nobody will throw me in jail for wearing the wrong buttons (though some people here would probably be tempted). I would just like to find out what the traditional rules are, so that I can make an informed decision to break them, should I feel so inclined.

goretexman

Reaction score
Ah, thanks. I have had brown horn buttons recommended to me by other people as well, and they look ok to me and apparently does not cause the Fashion Police to cry bloody murder. The shop offered to swap the buttons for me when I expressed my feelings against brass, so I suppose I shall go back there some day and see what they have to offer.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had light blue blazer buttons in corrozo from mjtrim.com sewn on a spare navy blazer along with tan suede elbow patches for a very casual look. It's great but I wouldn't wear a tie with it.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't like metal buttons, I think smoked mother-of-pearl, horn or corrozo wood are really the only tasteful options. Do they really make buttons for men's jackets out of brick?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of smoked MOP buttons. You can find them in a variety of different shades, including gray, white, and tan (I own at least one jacket with each).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I'm a big fan of smoked MOP buttons. You can find them in a variety of different shades, including gray, white, and tan (I own at least one jacket with each).

I like these too, but I think they need to be reserved for spring/summer clothes.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider a lighter shade of horn than Manton's blazer suit. Obviously the darker ones are best for the suit, but I use lighter shades even on the double breasted navy 'blazers'. This makes it a bit more casual and lessens the suit orphan look.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ If mine were linen, or just a jacket, I would have gone with tan horn.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
^^^ If mine were linen, or just a jacket, I would have gone with tan horn.

FWIW, I use dark brown horn buttons on all of my navy suits now.

PS - Your response time is kind of alarming sometimes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
PS - Your response time is kind of alarming sometimes.

Eh, I have to finish something tonight. SF is more fun. Hence, posting breaks.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
can you post links to where we can find smoked MOP buttons for jackets? I've looked with no success BTW.. is the really such thing as brick or bamboo buttons? I've never actually seen such a thing and would be curious to.

goretexman

Reaction score
I must confess that I mentioned bamboo or brick mostly to get a nice alliteration in the title. I can imagine bamboo buttons (though probably not on the kind of garment we are talking about here); brick seems rather unlikely.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Southwick blazer from STP last fall. It came with really bright gold buttons which I didn't really care for, so I purchased some antique silver buttons from ebay (seller: buttonsandtrim) and had my tailor swap out them out. Now the blazer looks really nice. Here are the buttons I put on my blazer.
e6ec_1.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads