• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Blue" 5EP: Anyone own/comment on quality?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own pairs of the 5EP LDB OW and DW in the "red" version (selvage), but was considering a raw pair of the "blue" non-selvage. I don't care one lick about selvage for the sake of selvage, but is the denim as nice, and is the color as complex? Anyone actually own these yet, or spent serious time looking at them?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I own pairs of the 5EP LDB OW and DW in the "red" version (selvage), but was considering a raw pair of the "blue" non-selvage. I don't care one lick about selvage for the sake of selvage, but is the denim as nice, and is the color as complex? Anyone actually own these yet, or spent serious time looking at them?

The denim is not as nice, but it is a good product for the price. The 5EP selvedge denim is quite remarkable.

Sigmatic

Reaction score
I bought a pair at Bloomie's a couple weeks ago: LDB Raw, $155 inc. tax.

considering the other brands that were there - usual mall brands,LA Denim Atelier, Earnest Sewn, PRPS, Paul Smith - these were an easy choice based on price alone.

the denim itself is at least on par with any other high end non-selvage denim i've seen. it's firm but smooth, a very rich, dark, and slightly streaky color, and a very nice dressy sheen. the construction is what your'e used to from 5ep but i believe these are missing the hidden rivets (which souldn't be a big deal if you don't mind no selvage).

my only gripe is the fly stitching: it's dark blue and you can't see it against the denim: you get used to it if you don't tuck your shirt in, but if you do tuck, it makes the rise (which is higher than i'm used to) look a lot higher.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmatic
I bought a pair at Bloomie's a couple weeks ago: LDB Raw, $155 inc. tax.

considering the other brands that were there - usual mall brands,LA Denim Atelier, Earnest Sewn, PRPS, Paul Smith - these were an easy choice based on price alone.

the denim itself is at least on par with any other high end non-selvage denim i've seen. it's firm but smooth, a very rich, dark, and slightly streaky color, and a very nice dressy sheen. the construction is what your'e used to from 5ep but i believe these are missing the hidden rivets (which souldn't be a big deal if you don't mind no selvage).

my only gripe is the fly stitching: it's dark blue and you can't see it against the denim: you get used to it if you don't tuck your shirt in, but if you do tuck, it makes the rise (which is higher than i'm used to) look a lot higher.

So, if I'm interested in quality, slightly dressy jeans, and want to pay a reasonable price, you'd say these are as good as any Acnes, Nudies, or the like? How's the coloring compare to the selvage versions?

Sigmatic

Reaction score
i've never owned acnes, but i own nudie RRDS and RRDG and i like the 5ep denim more. i paid $160 BNWT for my RRDS and if i could get that price again, i'd still go with the 5ep. I also have the old RRL, but that denim is just too different to compare. i don't have the 5ep selvage, so i can't compare there. sorry.

HTH

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great buy for the money, but shell out $40 more for the selvedge(use an online coupon). the selvedge ones are a bit more complex, better constructed, but definitely more greener (from what I can tell). The complexity is really what had me sold on 5ep in the first place.

To answer your question more directly, for the money and price range (compare to nudie, apc etc.,) 5ep is IMO your best bet.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
great buy for the money, but shell out $40 more for the selvedge(use an online coupon). the selvedge ones are a bit more complex, better constructed, but definitely more greener (from what I can tell). The complexity is really what had me sold on 5ep in the first place.

To answer your question more directly, for the money and price range (compare to nudie, apc etc.,) 5ep is IMO your best bet.

Where besides revolve has them at a discount? I looked there and they didn't have my size. I only would want the Selvage if the construction is much better, and the denim was much thicker. My favorite jeans are all non-selvage, and that is fine with me. And, even with 20% off (the best most online stores give, as I've already used the one-time 30%), the lowest price is just north of $200, vs. $145.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just get the blue ones. For your purposes they're more than fine. You don't care about fades anyways.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Just get the blue ones. For your purposes they're more than fine. You don't care about fades anyways.

Yup, durability/construction/initial color are by far the most important to me. However, my dry Japanese Alfs are starting to fade nicely
smile.gif

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm about to place the order, any difference in shrinkage vs. the selvage 5EP? I know from several descriptions that the dry ones come a tad longer, but any reason these would end up shorter than either of my other LDBs (the resin and DW)?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Ok, so I'm about to place the order, any difference in shrinkage vs. the selvage 5EP? I know from several descriptions that the dry ones come a tad longer, but any reason these would end up shorter than either of my other LDBs (the resin and DW)?

They're both sanforized so I doubt there's a huge diff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads