• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blucher - how is it pronounced

jgrooms

Reaction score
Ok its German. Is it pronounced blue-ker, as in the German? Or is it blue-chur, like the sales mgr at Nordstroms says it?

Coburn

Reaction score
frankenstein.jpg

Blucher, Frau Blucher

image2full.jpg

Hans

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The guy at Nordstroms has it right.

+ 1

(And Blücher isn't pronounced blue-ker in German)

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pronounce Bloo-shay. Like I am Franch.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Der-bee"

jim10

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of blucher's from Quoddy, and asked the lady this very question. She said it's pronounced "blue-ker" Who's correct, Quoddy or Nordstrom? (I'm betting on Quoddy).

Wideknot

Reaction score
bloo-ker, after Field Marshall Gebhard Leberecht von Blucher, a Prussian general who fought against France in the Napoleonic wars.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
There is this invention called "the dictionary" which contains pronunciation guides that with this other invention "the internet" you can get with talking! on your computer

http://www.merriam-webster.com/audio...1&word=blucher

... sorry to be a smartass, sometimes i can't help it

That's the link I used to check my pronunciation, though according to this link, both bloo-ker and bloo-cher are correct.

Schorsch

Reaction score
The Churman pronunciation is somewhere between "blue-ker" and "blew-sher," as the ch sound varies from region to region between a fricative and a stop.

So, "blue-cher" would be an utterly Americanized pronunciation, but Herr Webster says either "ker" or "cher" is ok by him.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that it's either bloo-ker or bloo-cher, and that miriam webster thing sounded wrong. With americans it allways seems to be either a hard k or a wet tch, the latter being the thing from the meriam webster audio. And by the way the shoe was named after a guy named Blücher, who spelled it with the umlaut in the u, so it should be pronounced closer to a y than a u. The sound should be like that of a german saying "ich", rather than that of the tch sound of a german saying deutchland, or the plain k-sound americans tend to go for. http://www.forvo.com/word/ich/ The end result being "Blücher" sounding like this, which is how I've always pronounced it. Albeit I'm not a native german, but I am a native speaker of another indo-germanian language so we have the exact same set of sounds in our language, and this is how we pronounce blücher. We know this word well, as a german battleship named blücher (named after the same guy) was sunk off our coast during the german invasion in WWII and because it was sunk, our royal family, parliament, government with our gold-reserves managed to escape, so it was kind of a big deal for us to sink blücher. I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads