• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blu-Ray

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
If the PS3 were a hundred bucks cheaper, would it make a difference? We are about to find out. $100 price drop on July 12th. $499... which includes five free blu-ray movies. Anyone? Opinions?
Nope, not yet, at least according to this article. It may just be a Circuit city thing. Either way, still not worth it. $500 for a system with no more than two games i'm interested in playing

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
toshiba just did a permanent price-drop to 300 on a couple models, plus the free movies. This competition thing is great for consumers but i wish it would just end fast so that movies start volume production and prices come down.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
toshiba just did a permanent price-drop to 300 on a couple models, plus the free movies. This competition thing is great for consumers but i wish it would just end fast so that movies start volume production and prices come down.

I agree but you know it's only a matter of time (Thanksgiving-Christmas) before prices go down faster than you on Conne.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the PS3 were a hundred bucks cheaper, would it make a difference?

We are about to find out. $100 price drop on July 12th.

$499... which includes five free blu-ray movies.

Anyone?

Opinions?

Has this been confirmed? I just read this.

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/new...a-283451-1.xml

If they do drop the price Im not sure it would be so significant from a global perspective. Arnt they charging more in EU and Australia for inferior hardware(software based PS2 emulation instead of hardware)?

To go off an a tangent here, I think the importance of Japanese games have been reduced in recent years. They dont have any of the muscle they had 8-10 years ago. Plus all the big companies just went to ****. SquareEnix, Sega, Capcom, Konomi(sans Kojima of course) ect... It's so frustrating becuase I use to love them so much. Back in the late 90's I would have all my systems moded, import games, read tons of japanese related news sites, and even snuck into E3 when I was 14.

They just aren't evolving. So many of the Japanese games play just like PS1 games with better graphics. Wii is the obvious exception to this, but take for example a big name Japanese title like Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Its great, and its extremely polished, but its the same old same old, and it's never going to change. RPGs are another thing. I think Japanese RPGs are being eaten alive by games like KOTOR and Oblivion. Whats the big RPG they put out in recent memory? Dragon Quest VII? It's a dam good game, but there is little different from anything you could find on SNES. The only progression that can be said for it is that of 2D to 3D. So many franchises are like this. I'll pick on Capcom especially for this one. Take Mega Man. They rehashed the same game for over a decade and milked it for all its worth, but then there was hope. Mega Man was finaly going to be in 3D with Mega Man Legends. The game was awesome, then they rushed a half assed sequel out, and just killed the whole idea. Haven't seen anything like that since. If you want a great example of a franchise being reborn for a new generation look no further than Metroid, but of course that was outsourced to America.

And don't even get me started on MMOs. If there is one thing I thought not only Japanese companies, but Koreans as well would be good at, then it would be MMOs, but Japanese companies don't even seem to care about making them, and Korean companies put out MMOs that have the same problems and mediocrity as American MMOs had in the mid 90's.

They are just so far behind the times, and the worst expression of this we have today is Sony's handling of the PS3.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ya slim the ps3 is far from a personal supercomputer. It's also a ***** to program for. It will take people quite some time to write really good code for it. MS as usual did a great job with the sdk for the xbox360.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
ya slim the ps3 is far from a personal supercomputer. It's also a ***** to program for. It will take people quite some time to write really good code for it. MS as usual did a great job with the sdk for the xbox360.
Yeah, except that according to some recent reports as many as 33% of the current Euro Xbox 360's are bricking out of the box, scratching the hell out of the disks, and aren't being covered under warranty. The US models aren't much better, are prone to overheating, have media drives that sound like jets spooling up, and XB Live updates still red-ring of death consoles on occasion. They may have some great games, but if your console toasts itself, your account gets hacked, or a software update locks up the Xbox, you can't play any of those great games can you? There will be at least ONE must have game by the end of the year. I promise. And Sony saying that it has "no plans" to drop the price is your typical corporate smokescreen. Sony does this all the time.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey buy the ps3 if you want it. i have neither and don't really care either way. it'll take a lot more work to get really great running/pretty games out of the ps3 than the xbos though. pretty much every dev in the world agrees on this. that's probably a big reason why ffxiii won't release till late next year.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Amazon.com sales of PS3's just spiked 2600% in the last 24 hours, now outselling both the Wii and the 360.
smile.gif
http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames

Naturlaut II

Reaction score
Trying to revive a year-long discussion...
Any new thoughts on Blu-ray disc/players recently? I'm trying to spring for a blu-ray player after seeing the difference between DVD and Blu-ray formats, but the prices are pretty steep. One thing I noticed is that the Sony Blu-Ray player takes a long time to startup and load a disc. How's the startup/loading time on a PS3?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS3 load time is pretty decent. I think that it is the best BD player you can get right now especially if you have a surround prepro or receiver that can accept HDMI 5.1 PCM inputs.

--Andre

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm really upset that FFXIII and FFXIII versus will be ps3 exclusives. I have yet to by a next gen system because i'm only in it for the games and there aren't enough games on either system to justify purchasing yet.

I have DS at the moment and it's worth hanging on to for me. The new Zelda game is a lot of fun. Dragon Quest IX is coming out in the next year on it, and a full 3d and storyline remake of FFIV comes out in japan soon and in the US probably next year. I'm going to **** my pants when it comes out.

I'm still not sure what to do about next gen gaming.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I'm really upset that FFXIII and FFXIII versus will be ps3 exclusives. I have yet to by a next gen system because i'm only in it for the games and there aren't enough games on either system to justify purchasing yet. I have DS at the moment and it's worth hanging on to for me. The new Zelda game is a lot of fun. Dragon Quest IX is coming out in the next year on it, and a full 3d and storyline remake of FFIV comes out in japan soon and in the US probably next year. I'm going to **** my pants when it comes out. I'm still not sure what to do about next gen gaming.
I am probably getting both. Already have the Xbox360, am probably getting the ps3 by Christmas.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I am probably getting both. Already have the Xbox360, am probably getting the ps3 by Christmas.

Wow. I really thought from some of your posts that you would have only a PS3, a 1080p HDTV and a crucified xbox with three bloody rings on a dark altar in your room...

In any event, all platforms can enjoy the orgasmic double-barreled blast of next-gen bliss that will be Assassin's Creed.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Wow. I really thought from some of your posts that you would have only a PS3, a 1080p HDTV and a crucified xbox with three bloody rings on a dark altar in your room... In any event, all platforms can enjoy the orgasmic double-barreled blast of next-gen bliss that will be Assassin's Creed.
My shame as a Sony fanboy is exposed! Not only was the first Next-Gen console I purchased a WreXbox 360, but I don't even own a 1080p Bravia television! I have a 42" Philips! Are you going to take away my Sony Defense Corps liscence? How much (if at all) do you think the severe compression of the game to shoehorn it onto the DVD9 Xbox360 disk will affect Assassins Creed? GTA4 is having serious issues fitting as well I hear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads