Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by hopkins_student, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Rome

Rome Mr. Chocolates Godiva

The playstation controller will look exactly like what it do now. They will make up for the lack of dual-shock with motion sensitivity, giving a new dynamic to racing games and the like. The core system will retail for 5 bones while the enhanced system will retail for 6 (much like the current setup Xbox 360 has now). Blu ray has already been sold and used in the way of PSP which shows there is a market for people willing to pay DVD prices to watch a movie on a 2x3 screen. I don't think they have maxed out what the Xb360 can do and they probably wont until 3rd or 4th gen games and when developers get a chance to write better engines. In the end it will be the titles that sell it either way but with GTA no longer being platform specific, I as of this moment see no reason to invest in the PS3.

The Wii looks interesting as a board game replacement console (multi player) but for single player stuff with Nintendo its few and far in between.

I place my bet on HD-DVD to be the standard, based on price and well... price really.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Blu ray has already been sold and used in the way of PSP which shows there is a market for people willing to pay DVD prices to watch a movie on a 2x3 screen.
    Blu-Ray has nothing to do with the PSP. The PSP uses UMD cartidges which are basically just small regular red beam DVD's in a plastic case. And not that many people are buying the movies on UMD. Thats why they aren't going to make as many of them anymore.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

The playstation controller will look exactly like what it do now. They will make up for the lack of dual-shock with motion sensitivity.
    Actually it doesn't look exactly like it, but it is very close to what the dualshock 2 looked like. [​IMG]
    If the only videogame you play is Grand Theft Auto, its always been far superior on PC. So no reason to invest in anything but a new videocard. Those of us who like playing more than one game know that the chances are good that PS3 is going to have more and better games than either of the other two consoles. They have more games in development, they have more programming companies signed to contract, and they have franchise carrying exclusive titles like the ones that I previously mentioned.
    If you were to bet all your money now, you'd probably be broke in two years. The price of the media is very comparable. The price of the players will even out in six months, and at $600, the PS3 is going to be at about the same price as a standalone hd-dvd.

4. Rome

Blu-Ray has nothing to do with the PSP. The PSP uses UMD cartidges which are basically just small regular red beam DVD's in a plastic case.

And not that many people are buying the movies on UMD. Thats why they aren't going to make as many of them anymore.

You're absolutely correct.

5. Rome

Actually it doesn't look exactly like it, but it is very close to what the dualshock 2 looked like.
    [​IMG]

Other than the button/light in between the start/select buttons it looks just the dual shock in all the pictures I've seen. If you were to put both controllers behind your back, one in each hand and asked me to pick the out the new one, I would probably pick the one in your left hand because they look so alike that's all I'm trying to say.

If the only videogame you play is Grand Theft Auto, its always been far superior on PC. So no reason to invest in anything but a new videocard. Those of us who like playing more than one game know that the chances are good that PS3 is going to have more and better games than either of the other two consoles. They have more games in development, they have more programming companies signed to contract, and they have franchise carrying exclusive titles like the ones that I previously mentioned.
    I don't play games on my PC, nothing wrong with it, just never got into it. I've also played God of War and Monopoly despite the AI always buying up and railroads and municipalities and then raping me on it later. It did come off like I was writing tha GTA is the maker of breaker of consoles, I agree that Sony will have better selection of games overall most likely (they have proven this 2 systems in a row) but that the point I was trying to make is that at almost a K to buy the system and a couple of games at launch I don't see it as worth it, to me.

If you were to bet all your money now, you'd probably be broke in two years. The price of the media is very comparable. The price of the players will even out in six months, and at $600, the PS3 is going to be at about the same price as a standalone hd-dvd.
    As far as the price for HD v BR, I think HD will be able to lower their prices sooner due to manufacturing costs; it could be that Sony would sell the players at a greater loss just to coup market share. From what I've read both standards have pretty much the same amount of clout with the studios as far as getting good movies out, but in the end its about getting the technology in peoples homes first.

6. wallateer

wallateer Well-Known Member

I'm all for Blu-Ray myself, but with HD-DVD beating it to the market sooner, cheaper players and Microsoft/Intel/HP putting their weight behind it, it's hard to tell. Hopefully, the PS3 and the movie studios behind Blu-Ray will help. Allthough Warner Bros and Paramount are supporting both formats, most of their releases seem to be on HD-DVD so far. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD recorders are already out or being announced for the Japanese market. Blu-Ray does have the ability to sustain itself as a viable medium in the market for longer time because eventually we'll be seeing multiple layer disks. I think you're limited to 2 layers at most on HD-DVD, so that'll be quite limiting in about 5 years, maybe?

7. Babar

Babar Senior member

Other than the button/light in between the start/select buttons it looks just the dual shock in all the pictures I've seen. If you were to put both controllers behind your back, one in each hand and asked me to pick the out the new one, I would probably pick the one in your left hand because they look so alike that's all I'm trying to say.

The shoulder buttons are triggers now, and the analog sticks have been spaced slightly differently, and become more precise to boot. But it certainly looks similar [​IMG]

8. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

beta was superior to vhs in every way except price. so i can only assume that the cheaper technology will win out in the end.

in mexico we all had beta because sony was considered the best brand, and to have anything other than a sony vcr was lame. eventually everyone had to switch over.

Dude- totally off topic, but I am mesmerized by that avatar.

9. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Ive said it before in another thread, but I think standard DVDs will be the dominant form of optical media until the end of optical media. I don't think either BluRay nor HD DVD will really take off, as both are unnecessary and irrelevent to 90% of the movie viewing public. Pretty sure 8-layer DVDs are something of the near future, and they've mentioned the potential for 50 layers without a price increase (though you'd need a new player).

PS3 is basically a worthless system that's being used as a trojan horse to get Sony's medium into the mainstream. In terms of console gaming, X360 is *far* superior to PS3 in terms of software (and Sony has lost practically all of their big name exclusives, and may lose more, including Final Fantasy), and Nintendo is schooling them both in sales with the Wii.

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

Ive said it before in another thread, but I think standard DVDs will be the dominant form of optical media until the end of optical media.

I agree but not for the same reasons. Downloading will kill HD-DVD and BD.

--Andre

12. Tiranis

Tiranis Senior member

And when we have players that support both Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and DVDs this debate has become pretty useless.

It's also funny to read Tokyo Slim's fairly old predictions on PS3 which is now struggling with no games, while Xbox 360 (more games) and Wii (fun for the whole family) are conquering the market together.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

And when we have players that support both Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and DVDs this debate has become pretty useless.

It's also funny to read Tokyo Slim's fairly old predictions on PS3 which is now struggling with no games, while Xbox 360 (more games) and Wii (fun for the whole family) are conquering the market together.

Sony has just dropped its music downloading biz and refocused all those resources into the PS3. Blu-Ray is slowly but surely rolling up supporters in retail and rental, and Gran Turismo still hasn't dropped yet. The games slated for Q4 this year will make or break the PS3's future.

14. capnpyro

capnpyro Senior member

I agree but not for the same reasons. Downloading will kill HD-DVD and BD. --Andre
    I don't see many people downloading up to 50GB movies, then burning them onto BD-R's that currently cost as much as a retail Blu-Ray movie (~$20) in the near term, maybe next 2-3 years or more until BD-R prices come down and bandwidth speeds increase. Piracy won't kill high def any more than it killed DVD. If anything my guess would be poor adoption rates and consumers that don't see any quality difference next to what they already have. Upscaled DVDs CAN look pretty good. As someone who just got done watching The Departed on Blu-Ray I can tell you I'm embracing the high def formats, never before has Jack Nicholsons crazy eyed, giant pored, wrinkled up face looked so good.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I've never thought dvd had good picture fwiw. Even upscaled, it just can't comare. Of course, poor transfers can minimize the difference, but look at these two pics and tell me it's not worth upgrading. Would anyone really ever want to watch dvd's again after seeing the second picture? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]