• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bloomingdales Has Regressed Significantly

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What used to be one of the hippest departments stores to shop at has turned into your usual Macy's clothing options. Bloomingdales, which once carried Zegna and Tom Ford have now turned into a store full of Hugo Boss and Theory. Over the past few years, the store has loss its appeal. They are no longer carrying "micro" clothiers Chip and Pepper but have shifted into Seven jeans nation and Rock and Republic nation. I'm not sure what really started this change but this past visit to the store really changed my thoughts of the store.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never even consider Bloomingdales anymore. I used to view it as a happy marriage between Barneys and like Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, and now it's like a Macys for less overweight people.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I never even consider Bloomingdales anymore. I used to view it as a happy marriage between Barneys and like Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, and now it's like a Macys for less overweight people.

Exactly, such a shame.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the one in NYC? A discount store I frequent gets stuff from Bloomingdales (likely the NYC one) and I've gotten Turnbull & Asser shirts, stuff from Billy Reid and the Billy Reid x Levis collab and some other pretty nice stuff. Couldn't belive it at first, as the Bloomingdales here in Minnesota (Mall of America) sells Joseph Abboud, Lacoste and Polo RL.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Although there's no Bloomingdale's where I live, I still like to visit when I'm in a city that has one. There's nothing that bad with like Hugo Boss or Michael Kors, to an extent.

Vigilant

Reaction score
The one in Chicago has certainly gone down hill, but you can still find some good items. They might be few and far between. Way too much zegna sport, Hugo Boss Red Label, RLX sport grossness.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nordstrom and bloomingdales are all going toward a lower price point in the wake of the recent economy crash, as well as their target market's wants and needs. The general mass of people represent the most $$ so they go where the money goes.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they carry Canali anymore. Haven't seen it in the SCP Bloomie's, where my wife does most of her clothes shopping these days. If not, that's a step down. I used to think that Bloomingdale's was maybe a slight notch up from Nordstrom. I believe both have concentrated more on men's casual attire lately. However, at this point, I really don't have much interest in most RTW clothing so don't pay much attention to these matters.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've stopped shopping at both Nordstrom's and Bloomingdales. Neither one carries brands that I like.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've stopped shopping at both Nordstrom's and Bloomingdales. Neither one carries brands that I like.
+1 EDIT: I remember reading that Nordstrom's will start carrying Brooks Brothers. No sure when that was supposed to happen. Perhaps they already began but I havent been to a Nordstrom's in a year

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
What used to be one of the hippest departments stores to shop at has turned into your usual Macy's clothing options. Bloomingdales, which once carried Zegna and Tom Ford have now turned into a store full of Hugo Boss and Theory. Over the past few years, the store has loss its appeal. They are no longer carrying "micro" clothiers Chip and Pepper but have shifted into Seven jeans nation and Rock and Republic nation. I'm not sure what really started this change but this past visit to the store really changed my thoughts of the store.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they have regressed.

Their stock (Federated) is at a 4-yr high............BTW, which Bloomies ever carried Tom Ford??

artoftime

Reaction score
Bloomingdales has not been a significant source of upscale shopping since about 1970.

Annie Hall: Sometimes I ask myself how I'd stand up under torture.
Alvy Singer: You? You kiddin'? If the Gestapo would take away your Bloomingdale's charge card, you'd tell 'em everything.
rimshot.gif

gio3969

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they have regressed.

Their stock (Federated) is at a 4-yr high............BTW, which Bloomies ever carried Tom Ford??

Last Traded Price of Federated has zero relevance to this thread. Does anyone even bother to think before they post anymore?

skywalker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gio3969
Last Traded Price of Federated has zero relevance to this thread. Does anyone even bother to think before they post anymore?

The bloomingdales I live by has been quite disappointing. I only bother looking at neiman marcus or saks.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still like the Bloomingdales on 59th Street - kinda in-between Macy's and Saks/Berdorf/Barney's. The SoHo store has crap though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads