• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blood in saliva???

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SO before someone says it, I got a doc appointment Mon., but wanted to see if anyone on here had this experience or any thoughts.

Background info: 27/m, had an upper gi x-rays w/ barium and upper gi endoscopy prob. about 16-18 months ago, everything was fine. Had colonoscopy about 12 months ago, everything was fine.

Went out for very heavy/rich italian dinner last night, woke up at 4am with sour taste/burning in back of throat, so harsh it took my breath away. Got up took a few sips of water, went to bacthroom to get tums, spit in sink and it was solid bloody saliva (like when you cut your gums flossing). Three spits then it was pretty much gone. Stomach was VERY upset w/ integestion.

No cough, no temp, no chest congestion, non smoker. This is the 7th day of a bad cold with nasal congestion, blew nose after spitting up the blood and the was slight blood (very slight) in nose mucus.

Finally, earlier in the night before going out to eat, brushed and flossed. Hadnt flossed in a bit and there was significant blood from doing so. So much that it was dripping uut of mouth and took several mintues of rinsing to clear up.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So my 1st thought when I woke up with this solid blood in saliva was cancer! but then I kinda came to my senses. If I had the above mentioned tests in the past 12-16 months they would have atleast shown the early stages of stomach cancer? plus I am only 27... so it would be rare anyway.

Next, there is the issue of slight blood in tissue, maybe saliva blood could have been due to slight nose bleeding while sleeping?

and finally the significant amount of blood from flossing prior to going out to eat. This occured at 6p.m. 1/28, woke up with the blood in saliva @ 4 a.m. 1/29, so i dont know if gums could still be releasing any blood from flossing 10 hours prior... maybe, but just not sure.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never had experience with anything like this, but I just wanted to say good luck. Hope everything works out for you, and it's nothing serious.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslade
Never had experience with anything like this, but I just wanted to say good luck. Hope everything works out for you, and it's nothing serious.

Thanks, I spoke with a nurse on the phone today and explained everything above... she strongly thinks it was from cuts on the gums due to flossing earlier in the evening or a possible nose bleed (although I dont really think it was a nose bleed as no blood came out my nose!).

Either way she pretty much assured me it was esoph. or stomach cancer related, which was my big concern... I guess those things dont just develope from thin air over a year and she said there would have been some signs of either when the endoscopy was done about 16 months ago..

Either way, I'll be much more relaxed when I finally she the doc mon.

*#..

Reaction score
I hope it all goes ok. I'm glad you made an appointment asap.

skyman

Reaction score
Don't be to quick to discount the nose bleed theory. About 18 months ago I suddenly started coughing up blood in my mucus, and a significant amount aswell. Obviously very scary. Went home and blew my nose a little blood in my nose mucus. Then over the next few days had a couple more nose bleeds (consistent with a previous cut). Doc said sometimes when asleep all the blood will drain down your throat and there will be no apparent blood in the nose.

Also as far as cancer goes, my grandfather had stomach cancer, and before things came to a head he was being sick, felt full and couldn't hold a meal for about 5 months before diagnosis. The symptoms were of increasing severity also.

Good luck with the doc anyway. I hope all is well.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everything will be fine mate-- hope all goes well.

smile.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i had blood in my saliva/phelgm twice. both times easily explained, one from klebsiella pneumonia, the other from a cut on my gum that i never realized and all the while i wasted months worrying i was dying. i am sure you are ok.

coldnyt1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
SO before someone says it, I got a doc appointment Mon., but wanted to see if anyone on here had this experience or any thoughts.

Background info: 27/m, had an upper gi x-rays w/ barium and upper gi endoscopy prob. about 16-18 months ago, everything was fine. Had colonoscopy about 12 months ago, everything was fine.

Went out for very heavy/rich italian dinner last night, woke up at 4am with sour taste/burning in back of throat, so harsh it took my breath away. Got up took a few sips of water, went to bacthroom to get tums, spit in sink and it was solid bloody saliva (like when you cut your gums flossing). Three spits then it was pretty much gone. Stomach was VERY upset w/ integestion.

No cough, no temp, no chest congestion, non smoker. This is the 7th day of a bad cold with nasal congestion, blew nose after spitting up the blood and the was slight blood (very slight) in nose mucus.

Finally, earlier in the night before going out to eat, brushed and flossed. Hadnt flossed in a bit and there was significant blood from doing so. So much that it was dripping uut of mouth and took several mintues of rinsing to clear up.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So my 1st thought when I woke up with this solid blood in saliva was cancer! but then I kinda came to my senses. If I had the above mentioned tests in the past 12-16 months they would have atleast shown the early stages of stomach cancer? plus I am only 27... so it would be rare anyway.

Next, there is the issue of slight blood in tissue, maybe saliva blood could have been due to slight nose bleeding while sleeping?

and finally the significant amount of blood from flossing prior to going out to eat. This occured at 6p.m. 1/28, woke up with the blood in saliva @ 4 a.m. 1/29, so i dont know if gums could still be releasing any blood from flossing 10 hours prior... maybe, but just not sure.

please see your dentist too... maybe some form of gingivitis or more on perio problem... goodluck

Sunnydale

Reaction score
Well, the problem could be from many things, but if I was to guess the mention of a heavy Italian dinner brings up wheat pasta. Many have digestive issues with wheat gluten and others parts of wheat grain. You might try eliminating the grain from your diet for a few weeks and see if the problem goes away. Some recent articles that discuss the problems wheat can cause. "New study shows that it’s possible to react to gluten but not have coeliac disease" http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/01/26/n...eliac-disease/ & Number of articles about wheat being linked to health issues. http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Wheat

imschatz

Reaction score
Have had something similar happen to me (a few times), and happens to my brother a lot and it was a nose bleed.

If I get "nose bleeds" while I'm sleeping the blood flows backwards into my throat/mouth.

fareau

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a history of dyspepsia since you have had an upper endoscopy and a barium study in the recent past, and you have Tums on hand (why did they do the colonoscopy if you are only 27?). I seems pretty likely that you had a bad episode of reflux that night, particularly given the type of meal you describe; did you have wine/alcohol with it? The fact that it "took your breath away" sounds like you may have aspirated a small amount of reflux. What you describe as an upset stomach that night, was probably esophageal irritation from the low pH of the stomach contents. It all sounds fairly typical of GERD.

The blood in your mouth is interesting, however, particularly if it was as thick/heavy as you imply. I really doubt it was from your nose, without your noticing something more obvious. And, unless you were severely coughing, it seems unlikely that it came from your lungs. It is also improbable that it came from your gums, despite the earlier post-flossing event. Is there any possibility you bit your tongue slightly when you were startled awake that night? The remaining possibility is that it came from your stomach or esophagus (ie an ulcer or erosion with mild bleeding), and was carried with any reflux.

In all probability, it is unlikely to be anything too serious, and the previous endoscopy would make cancer very, very unlikely (but you have already realized this).

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fareau
It sounds like you have a history of dyspepsia since you have had an upper endoscopy and a barium study in the recent past, and you have Tums on hand (why did they do the colonoscopy if you are only 27?). I seems pretty likely that you had a bad episode of reflux that night, particularly given the type of meal you describe; did you have wine/alcohol with it? The fact that it "took your breath away" sounds like you may have aspirated a small amount of reflux. What you describe as an upset stomach that night, was probably esophageal irritation from the low pH of the stomach contents. It all sounds fairly typical of GERD.

The blood in your mouth is interesting, however, particularly if it was as thick/heavy as you imply. I really doubt it was from your nose, without your noticing something more obvious. And, unless you were severely coughing, it seems unlikely that it came from your lungs. It is also improbable that it came from your gums, despite the earlier post-flossing event. Is there any possibility you bit your tongue slightly when you were startled awake that night? The remaining possibility is that it came from your stomach or esophagus (ie an ulcer or erosion with mild bleeding), and was carried with any reflux.

In all probability, it is unlikely to be anything too serious, and the previous endoscopy would make cancer very, very unlikely (but you have already realized this).

I had the previous tests done because I had been having heartburn quite a bit about 2 years ago... a few years prior to that, I had an upper gi endoscopy and they found the beginnings of a potential ulcer but put me on priolsec and some pink stuff for a few months which cured everything.

No coughing whatsoever so i have ruled out lungs. Since this happened though I have had slight blood when I blow my nose (over the past few days)... not a lot though. My house is extremely dry, so much so that people comment on it when they sleep over, and I have central heat..

Def. did not bit tounge. I did floss my gums the day after again and had some bleeding, my issue with that theory though, is that I would think any cuts on the gums would have clotted through dinnertime and not have been present while I was sleeping... the incident occured almost 10 hours after flossing.

I have not had upset stomach or any blood in saliva since then and that was the first time ever that it happened..

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^not on any meds and no bruising...

so doc had this to say, first he def. doesnt think its lung related because the blood would have to be hacked/coughed up, which it wasnt, as I have had no cough or chect congestion. Also doesnt think it is stomach related, he put it like this, in order for blood in the stomach to make its way up to the mouth, it has to be significant internal beleding or vomitted up, and in either case is usually very dark almost like coffee color.

Mine was simply in the saliva and bright red... he pretty much assured me it had nothing to do with internal bleeding, cancer or lung conditions.

The bleeding gum theory he thinks is plausible but rare, said the gums should have clotted over that time, but there is a chance eating dinner could reopended somthing. And internal nose bleed m ost likely would have produced a lot more blood and not have stopped on its own.

So he knd of didnt give me a definite answer but did alleviate some conern. In his words, 'just ride with it'... whatever that means.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
So he knd of didnt give me a definite answer but did alleviate some conern. In his words, 'just ride with it'... whatever that means.
Ah, I can speak Dr.. It means he doesn't know what the **** is wrong with you and is hoping that either a) It'll get worse and he'll either have to ship you off or be able to actually figure it out at that point, or b) it'll get better on its own and he won't have to worry about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads