Blocking noise

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fabienne, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Any ideas beyond 30 decibel ear plugs and listening to music with earphones (both not good enough) to block noise from, in particular, two co-workers' phone conversations?

I need to concentrate on my work and I find myself to be often distracted.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Sennheiser makes noise-canceling headphones, which you can also play music through, if so inclined. Several other firms make them, notably Bose, but Sennheiser is probably the most respected.

Glad you're still here, Fab.

Regards,
    Huntsman

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

For those who've tried both, would you recommend the Shure E2Cs over the Etymotic ER6s? I can't afford to drop a lot on a pair, but I want a good pair of noise cancelling headphones.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

6. oman

oman Senior member

Sennheiser makes noise-canceling headphones, which you can also play music through, if so inclined. Several other firms make them, notably Bose, but Sennheiser is probably the most respected.

Regards,
    Huntsman

seconding the sennheiser option

even if you ignore the noise-cancelling aspect, you have not heard music unless you've heard it through sennheisers or grados

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Regards,
    Huntsman

Oh, I was here all along, but registering at AAAC felt like having one more credit card in one's wallet, and I prefer to keep that down to a couple.

So, if I understand correctly, I can simply have the headphones on, and without playing any music, they will block sound?

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

9. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Even though I can shut my office door to the rest of the world, sonic distractions creep in. To really concentrate and avoid background noise being heard by my clients when my office door is open . . . I use the Boom Quiet. I recently purchased their second generation and gave my old gen-1 to a friend.

There is nothing quite like it. It employs noise canceling technologies that make my Bose noise canceling device seem positively barbaric (like cotton wads in my ears) by comparison. Imagine no longer hearing your co-workers and your clients not hearing any background noise. The cost is relatively modest in comparison to one's ability to finally focus on the task at hand.

the Boom Quiet: http://www.theboom.com/theboomquiet_photos.html

Boom Home Page: http://www.theboom.com/index.html

The online demo with and without noise cancellation tells the story.