• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blocked/Popping ears when working out?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this? When I work out or am even just walking around the mall, I feel like my ears are sort of popping in and out, I can hear myself talk and I feel like I need to keep swallowing something...

Bohdathone

Reaction score
I sometimes get this when I'm working out....horrible feeling. For me it's because sweat gets into my ears; the best thing to do is keep your hair short (it seems to make it worse when it's long as it can channel it in there) and keep a towel handy..

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Has anyone experienced this? When I work out or am even just walking around the mall, I feel like my ears are sort of popping in and out, I can hear myself talk and I feel like I need to keep swallowing something...
Sounds like you might have some sinus blockage. I sometimes have it, too, depending on the season. You might try nasal irrigation to see if that solves the problem. It's easy and can make a huge difference in how you feel. I use the Neti pot method, but there are several ways you can do it.

Eagle

Reaction score
^The only times I've experienced that is when I've been working out while I've had a head cold. I suspect "Threadbearer" is spot-on with his assessment.

overdog

Reaction score
I've experienced this on a few occasions as well, although never consistently. I find if I lower my head when this happens and allow more bloodflow to my head, it makes it better.

I don't know that the reason is necessarily sinus blockage. I suffer from heavy allergies during season, and I've experienced this both on and off season. Also, when I'm doing some heavy aerobic exercise, such as playing basketball, my body naturally clears any blocked sinus passages because it realizes it needs to maximize the flow of oxygen.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a pinched nerve in the neck or trapezius or a strained neck muscle can radiate upwards and create some vertigo-like symptoms and some ear pain.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
a pinched nerve in the neck or trapezius or a strained neck muscle can radiate upwards and create some vertigo-like symptoms and some ear pain.

It's not really pain, just sort of popping. usually only in one (right) ear. Could be stuffed sinuses... any recomendations on how to clear them (ideally without medication, or just naturally)?
Thanks

kever

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
It's not really pain, just sort of popping. usually only in one (right) ear. Could be stuffed sinuses... any recomendations on how to clear them (ideally without medication, or just naturally)?
Thanks

I've had this. It's only when I have a cold it seems, and it's one of the most annoying things ever. I wish I knew how to stop it. Running (or any cardio) is so much worse than when lifting for me.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had this, usually when I get really tired and usually after cardio more than lifting, like Kever.

bluemax

Reaction score
I work out regularly and after an intense lifting session I'll get this, key word being intense. I always thought it was normal and had to do with bloodflow.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemax
I always thought it was normal and had to do with bloodflow.
You're probably right about bloodflow, and I'm sure that it can be exacerbated by sinus congestion. I urge the OP to try using a Neti pot three days a week for a couple of weeks to see if it helps. It's cheap, takes no more time than flossing, and does not involve meds. In addition, most people who try it find that they breathe much easier, especially at night, and that they then sleep better, too.

I used to rely on Sudafed and Breathe Right Strips to get me through allergy season, but I was able to give those up completely after I started using a Neti pot instead.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemax
I work out regularly and after an intense lifting session I'll get this, key word being intense. I always thought it was normal and had to do with bloodflow.
+1 I get this after an intense workout or during. Always thought it was due to fatigue - don't think its sinus issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads