• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blockbuster Files for Chapter 11 Protection

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ter-chapter-11

Non-US subsidiaries, including the 600 UK shops, are not involved in the bankruptcy proceedings, but hundreds more American stores could now close - on top of the 500 that have shut in the last year.

The chain is creaking under the weight of its debts and has faced management upheaval in recent years. Its problems have been made worse by a growing number of vending machines that rent films for as little as a dollar a day, as well as an explosion in the number of consumers streaming movies online, either illegally or through legitimate sites such as Netflix and iTunes. DVD and video stores appear as threatened as high-street music shops.

Blockbuster has roughly 3,500 remaining stores in the US, making it the country's last major DVD franchise - rival chain Hollywood Video collapsed earlier this year.
This doesn't come as a surprise to many, but I seriously doubt Blockbuster will be able crawl out of the hole they've dug.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Business model is obsolete. They had a good run in the 80s and 90s. Time to shut the door.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Business model is obsolete. They had a good run in the 80s and 90s. Time to shut the door.

Truth. The only way I can see that they would have been able to stay afloat would have been to cut their store footprint sharply - both in quantity and size - and retire that debt. Even then, they would be competing with the stores that sell new DVD's for $9 or whatever they go for these days.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember going back to Blockbuster a couple years ago for a short time while they promo'd a competing program to RedBox, where I could rent any movie for $1.50 a day, even the "hot new releases."

I was quite pissed when they ended that program, and stopped going altogether. I dropped by a few days ago to the local one nearby (it was literally like a ghost town in there) and saw their new gimmicks like "only available here! can't get this one on Netflix!!!11oneoneone"

I then saw the price, $5 +tax for any new release and even higher for Blu Ray rentals, so I said no thanks
laugh.gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Truth. The only way I can see that they would have been able to stay afloat would have been to cut their store footprint sharply - both in quantity and size - and retire that debt. Even then, they would be competing with the stores that sell new DVD's for $9 or whatever they go for these days.

nah bro... all they need to start doing is just "swede" all their movies and all will be well.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's next, adult video/mag stores will go out of business?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
nah bro... all they need to start doing is just "swede" all their movies and all will be well.

puzzled.gif
, although I have my suspicions.

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
What's next, adult video/mag stores will go out of business?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!1!@

Actually, they were probably smarter than BlockBuster, since they didn't bother expanding or taking on debt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads