• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BLK DNM vs. Schott NYC Leather Jackets

Stunoso

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between the two leather jackets: BLK DNM 5 BLK DNM 5 and Schott NYC 626. My main argument in favor of Schott is that it's made of cowhide vs lambskin used in BLK DNM. Is there anyone here who had experience with both jackets/leathers in terms of looks/quality/durability?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm getting the blk dmm instead of another stooges, the schott will fit like a tent.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stunoso

Reaction score

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.
Well, aesthetically, I definitely like BLK DNM better, my only concern is the quality compared to Schott.

I have been impressed by the BLK DNM leathers I have seen, compared with other jackets around that price point. The Nordstroms near my offices carries them. I would wear one, and I sort of want the biker in dark blue.

LeeroyDaBoy

Reaction score
i'm getting the blk dmm instead of another stooges, the schott will fit like a tent.
Where the hell are you going to find a XXXXXL BLK DNM to fit your giant self Kunk? Seems like the biggest I've seen from them was an extra large.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been impressed by the BLK DNM leathers I have seen, compared with other jackets around that price point. The Nordstroms near my offices carries them. I would wear one, and I sort of want the biker in dark blue.

Okay I went back and tried on the blue one again today and it was a bit much, so not so interested anymore in that. The blk dnm leathers are nice but they have more zippers and shiny buttons on them than I am used to, also I am used to a thinner lining. Still, a good jacket though at that price point. They seem to sell for a significant discount on ebay, so that might be worth checking out.

Last edited:

Irman Hilmi

Reaction score
So how did your 626 fit you? My personal experience with it is that it's way too long. I'm 5'11' and I just didn't like the way it hung when it's unzipped.

HeavenResign

Reaction score
It is a little long, I think even .5 or .75" shorter would make a huge difference. I have one and still like it a lot, though. I think at this point the sf x vanson would be the default option now for a question like this, or even the vanson derby since you can take off the belt. But a year ago it was still a ways off. And now it's about $200 more than a 626 (more than that since it's easy to get Schott's 10 or 15% discounted) which could be a factor for some people

Last edited:

Irman Hilmi

Reaction score
Yes, it is a bit long, but long enough to make it really annoying. Mine was the earlier version, the 2015 version is even longer, I believe. In the end, what I did was score a 25-year old 613, and tapered the sleeves making it slimmer than the 626, and changed the insulated nylon lining to satin. My opinion on the Indian-made BLK DNM is that the shoulders jut off too much, making it sort of look like you're wearing shoulder pads. Plus the epaulets is just a bit too stiff and sticks out. Just get a 613/618 with proper shoulder width, then taper the sleeves, a pretty easy job for any leathershop. I had the luxury of trying sizes 34-42, and settled on the 38 which had the perfect shoulder measurements for me and with the sleeves tapered it pretty much became a custom fit jacket for me.

If it might help people looking for their perfect leather jacket, here was leather jacket journey :
New 613 Perfecto, size 34 (shoulders too narrow, everything too tight. New steerhide sucks)
New Straight To Hell Perfecto size 38 (shoulders perfect, too short, insulated lining on the sleeves which really bulked up the sleeves which I didn't like)
New 626 Perfecto, earlier version with stars on epaulets, size S (waxy cowhide was too shiny, sleeves were a bit narrow but size M was too loose everywhere, at 26" was a bit too long, only looked good zipped up, when unzipped there was an annoying curl on the front left side of the jacket, probably caused by the flap pocket's weight. I believe the 2015 version is now 27" long. Too long. I believe the Supreme Perfectos, PER2 and most of the newer styles are based on the 626 measurements.)
Vintage 613 Perfecto (late 80s, early 90s), size 38 (yes, it had poofy sleeves, but a trip to the leathershop changed all that. Shoulders just right, everything else too. Vintage naked cowhide feels more luxurious than those new waxy cowhide on the 626s. A keeper.)

Otherwise you should try to take a look at the new 519 50s Perfecto, or get the Japan version 613US or 613USS with satin lining. I believe the Japanese 613s are a tad shorter, but they have a the tall version 613UST.

Oh btw I used to run a boutique where I live here, and we had a Schott wholesale account, and was in close contact with the Schott guys. In the end I settled for a customized vintage.

Hope the info here helps someone who's still looking for their dream leather jacket. Mine took nearly 3 years and many wasted dollars on jackets and shipping. :)

Edited with a fit pic to show how slim the sleeves of a 613 can be :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads