• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blind taste test: $1000 shoes

pocketprotector

Reaction score
BLIND TEST:

Before you sit two pairs of nearly identical shoes. Neither is labeled with its maker's name, nor does either give its maker away with any flourish of style. Each sports a $1000 price tag. The shoes on the left, unbeknownst to you, are made by Edward Green. On the right, John Lobb.

You are given $1000 to purchase either pair and as much time as you want to examine their materials and workmanship. The maker will never be revealed to you; you are choosing only the best shoe for the price.

Which would you choose?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not exactly clear to me how anyone would be able to answer the proposed question, absent being able to examine such shoes...

Are you just asking whether EG or Lobb makes higher quality shoes?

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
It's not exactly clear to me how anyone would be able to answer the proposed question, absent being able to examine such shoes...

Are you just asking whether EG or Lobb makes higher quality shoes?

I thought my question might be a bit weird.

I guess I'm looking for people's opinion on the "quality per dollar" of the two shoemakers. The elaborate setup is to encourage people to distance themselves from any "pride of ownership" considerations that accompany some name-brand purchases.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being a liberal ... I choose the pair on the Left.

...and I'll be happiest with the Edward Green.​

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not surprising, from someone with a name of "pocketprotector" and 7 posts.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trick question. There is neither a Lobb or a Green which would sport a price tag that low

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
i'm a centrist, no shoe for me?

NO SHOES FOR YOU! NEXT!

Geezer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector
BLIND TEST:

Before you sit two pairs of nearly identical shoes. Neither is labeled with its maker's name, nor does either give its maker away with any flourish of style. Each sports a $1000 price tag. The shoes on the left, unbeknownst to you, are made by Edward Green. On the right, John Lobb.

You are given $1000 to purchase either pair and as much time as you want to examine their materials and workmanship. The maker will never be revealed to you; you are choosing only the best shoe for the price.

Which would you choose?

The ones that fit.

Next question?

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Trick question. There is neither a Lobb or a Green which would sport a price tag that low

So whatever choice is made, you're going to be hit with a misdemeanor for buying stolen property? I think gemming is a felony in some jurisdictions as well.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector
I thought my question might be a bit weird.

I guess I'm looking for people's opinion on the "quality per dollar" of the two shoemakers. The elaborate setup is to encourage people to distance themselves from any "pride of ownership" considerations that accompany some name-brand purchases.

So, essentially you're asking which brand name has a higher value?

I made a much larger survey, across multiple different brands, and the result is here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=172371 . Quick answer for you, they're the same.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Why not pretend ... you know ... just kind of imagine ... that you found two great pairs of shoes ... and ... they were on sale! Yes, I know ... it's impossible to find what one really wants on sale ... but dream a little ... come on ... let go.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JLvsEG.jpg

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the cachet of name is really and honestly of no concern, you could probably find a a hand-welted bespoke shoe for that price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads