• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blind Fit Question

style_goat

Reaction score
Answer to the best of your abilities. I bought an A.P.C. Duffle Coat in Medium. Unfortunately, the handful of times I had tried it on before purchase, I never bothered to do so with anything more than a shirt and tie underneath. To make a long story short, the coat is too small for me. The armholes practically tickle my armpits and after wearing it for an extended period of time -- with an additional layer -- the nape of my neck and the top of back just beneath that kind of hurts or rather feels sore.

So tonight I have decided I will acknowledge that I made a mistake and attempt to move the coat. Additionally, since I love the coat so much I will buy it in a larger size. The question remains though, whether I should buy a Large or X-Large. Unfortunately, I have never tried on a Large, but tonight I tried on an X-Large, which surprisingly fit better than I thought it would. The salesman even said it looked more like a man's coat. However, I tend to like my things fitted and it could have stood to be a wee bit snugger. I wonder if a large will be the perfect balance between fit and comfort. The salesmen always said the medium fit well in the shoulders and the time I wore it out with just a tie and vest, it didn't feel uncomfortable. Based on what I have said, do you think large would be the good choice? I only really intend to wear it with a shirt, tie, and cardigan.

My suit size is usually a 40 and my shirt size 15.5 34/35 -- if that at all helps....Thanks!

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so... you made a mistake in choosing the proper size for yourself even after trying it on in person...
now you want to make another mistake?
why not try on the coat in both large and XL with the layers you will most likely be wearing and deciding that way?
you obviously have access to the store and the different size coats

style_goat

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have access to the store, but unfortunately they don't carry it in a L, only XL. The store in Hollywood, CA, however, carries the L and I could order it from them -- but obviously I won't be able to try it on before buying it. I'm leaning more towards a L at this point and just stick with it if it's a little snugger than anticipated. It should pass to the greener side of my comfort tolerance. I hope.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did you wear the coat for a while? i guess you can't exchange?
can you post a pic? curious now

style_goat

Reaction score
Yeah, I can't exchange. Do you want a pic of me in it, or a pic of the coat itself? I don't really want to wear the coat any longer while I'm trying to move it, although maybe I will send a pic of me in it, to help you assess. I do like the way it looks in a M, but not the way it feels, with certains layers and after a certain amount of time wearing it.

*#..

Reaction score
Go email/call them for a measurement. I've done this multiple times with online shopping, and haven't had any problems with it.

style_goat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
Go email/call them for a measurement. I've done this multiple times with online shopping, and haven't had any problems with it.

Just did. Hopefully they have them written down somewhere, b/c the SoHo store only has the XL in stock.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by style_goat
Yeah, I can't exchange. Do you want a pic of me in it, or a pic of the coat itself? I don't really want to wear the coat any longer while I'm trying to move it, although maybe I will send a pic of me in it, to help you assess. I do like the way it looks in a M, but not the way it feels, with certains layers and after a certain amount of time wearing it.

either or
i just want to see what the coat looks like
and for selling, i think it helps to put it on a mannequin or an actual person to show how the clothing looks when worn

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads