1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bless me father for I have Sartorially sinned…

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imageWIS, Jun 14, 2005.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I was at the RL store in Palm Beach and tried on a lightweight v-neck sweater. At the time I was wearing a RL pink pony polo and I popped-up the collar to get the sweater through my head and when I saw myself in the mirror I actually liked the look with the v-neck sweater.

Luckily, as of yet I have not worn this out in public. Am I breaking to great of a sartorial rule? Am I going to burn in hell for this one? (even though I am Jewish)

Jon.

2. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

You are now condamned to the 9th ring of sartorial hell for eternity. You are allowed to wear nothing but Vigotti and Stacey Adams shoes and Jones NY suits.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Jon.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The closest thing I've found to an acceptable popped collar is with polos that have very "weak" collars. That is to say, ones that are soft, not stiff and don't stay "popped" so much as rumpled. I'm no expert on the RL polo, but a few vintage Penguins I have have collars like this. I think it's very much an older style that you will not find on any modern polos.

Jews don't seem to do popped collars well. Athletic (not fat) frat boys and black guys seem to be able to do this the best.

As always, I demand pics.

I still denounce the popped collar. The above is a purely theoretical discussion of what may be the least offensive way of popping one's collar.

5. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Go away, move to streetwear.

EDIT: Ha, ha, I got the thread moved to streetwear. Personally, I associated the entire trend with a French girl I knew in college. She thought quite highly of herself as an "Olympic Equestrian hopeful"... amazing calf and thigh muscles, but not so amazing personality. Which pretty much epitomizes my opinion on this trend. It looks ok on rare occasions, but mostly, it's a bunch of pompous a**holes trying to look cool.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Fine, whatever.  For the record, I think popped collars look uniformly stupid, the exceptions being real hip hop types and huge dudes who could crush me with one hand.

7. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I knew I and LA Guy could agree on something [​IMG]

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

So you relate me with a pompous ass who has no personality, guess who's SN is getting blocked Matt? [​IMG] Jon.

9. Lydia

Lydia Senior member

come on. What else is one supposed to do with a collar on a polo shirt? Not pop it? Yes. So there are really only two options. Clothes are too limited for men as it is, without giving the few options that do exist bad connotations. I embrace any type of affectation - even ones as simplistic and obvious as popping a collar. It is there, it is intended to be worn one way, so wear it the other way. Is it babyish and spoiled to think this way?

Wearing it that way here in China, I would spawn a flock of imitators. Shall I go out and get a fake one now?

No but in all seriousness, fuck IP theft.

10. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Personally I don't care for the look, but more to the point I'd be afraid of getting ridiculed by everyone who didn't exist permanently by virtue of an eddy in the space-time continuum in a John Hughes movie.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Today I'm wearing a striped Lacoste polo with the collar popped. I'm so sick of hearing people trash it that I'm doing it just because I hate the fact that I myself don't like the look. I have to rebel against myself to feel relaxed in my own skin. It's nice not to care.

12. Edward Appleby

But truly not caring would be just pulling the shirt on and not even mucking about with some internal debate about sartorially masochistic iconoclasm...

13. j

j Senior member Admin

Run-on sentence of the month.

14. Edward Appleby

(Edward Appleby @ June 17 2005,15:01) Personally I don't care for the look, but more to the point I'd be afraid of getting ridiculed by everyone who didn't exist permanently by virtue of an eddy in the space-time continuum in a John Hughes movie.
    Run-on sentence of the month.
    I was once shown, in an English class, a sentence that occupied an entire 8.5 by 11 page. It was Kipling, if memory serves, and a model to aspire to. [​IMG]

15. j

j Senior member Admin

I have invented a new collar: the "Permanent Pop" collar. It is basically like a polo shirt collar only about half as tall. Since it will not fold down, you can't get in trouble for wearing it standing up.

Coming soon to a scenester shop near you.

16. Horace

Horace Senior member

Do you retro fit into an older Le Tigre shirt one of those plastic "cones of shame" that the vet puts on an animal to keep it from biting itself?

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The older Polo Ralph Lauren shirts were actually made that way.

Too short to fold down properly.