blazer vs. sport coat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Recoil, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

What's the real difference between the two, and what are thier appropriate applications?

2. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

According to STP:

Blazer vs. Sport Coat. The only difference between a blazer and a sport coat is that a blazer is always solid-colored and a sport coat always has some type of pattern (stripes, checks, herringbone, etc.).

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/mens-guide.html

I guess the applications are endless. I might see a blazer as a touch more formal.

3. katon

katon Well-Known Member

Metal buttons.

4. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

blazers are navy and have metal buttons

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

...blazers are navy...

Or striped (as in English rowing or cricket getup), or some solid color like coral or lime green (American golf club).

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Sportcoat (or odd jacket) is the genus, blazer is one species in that genus.

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Blazers in the Black Watch tartan have some popularity in the States. I just had W.W. Chan make me one from a Holland & Sherry "Snowy River" fabric with H&S enameled buttons with the Celtic Cross design, and I am extremely pleased with it.

I think the Beverly Hills Brooks Brothers regularly stocks both green and Black Watch blazers although I have never seen either at their South Coast store that I more commonly visit.

Although metal buttons are customarily regarded as essentially differentiating a blazer from a sport coat, I think solid color jackets with smoked mother of pearl buttons are also customarily deemed blazers...at least if they're dark blue.

8. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

Blazers in the Black Watch tartan have some popularity in the States. I just had W.W. Chan make me one from a Holland & Sherry "Snowy River" fabric with H&S enameled buttons with the Celtic Cross design, and I am extremely pleased with it.

I think the Beverly Hills Brooks Brothers regularly stocks both green and Black Watch blazers although I have never seen either at their South Coast store that I more commonly visit.

Although metal buttons are customarily regarded as essentially differentiating a blazer from a sport coat, I think solid color jackets with smoked mother of pearl buttons are also customarily deemed blazers...at least if they're dark blue.

What color pants do you wear with that ? I have a jacket like that and I have only be successful pairing it with light gray pants.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

What color pants do you wear with that ? I have a jacket like that and I have only be successful pairing it with light gray pants.

Light gray, dark gray, various shades of tan and light brown and navy. I think it is particularly striking with the latter.

10. Butters1

Butters1 Member

Sportcoat (or odd jacket) is the genus, blazer is one species in that genus.

Or striped (as in English rowing or cricket getup), or some solid color like coral or lime green (American golf club).

blazers are navy and have metal buttons

Metal buttons.

According to STP:

Blazer vs. Sport Coat. The only difference between a blazer and a sport coat is that a blazer is always solid-colored and a sport coat always has some type of pattern (stripes, checks, herringbone, etc.).

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/mens-guide.html

I guess the applications are endless. I might see a blazer as a touch more formal.

So who is right? Some are saying they are two different things some are saying one is a type of the other.

11. boarhill

boarhill Active Member

Are you righting a thesis on the subject for the Miami Institute of Fashion, sir? Otherwse may I simply say that both are men's jackets and can be worn interchangeably with a pair of dress trousers and dress shirt. Perhaps you should stop letting you mother dress you and visit a reputable haberdasher

12. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

Ah, it's about time we had a thread on something new and un-discussed here in MC.

13. malefic

malefic Senior member

Are you righting a thesis

What was wrong with the thesis to begin with?

14. boarhill

boarhill Active Member

Thank you for pointing out my spelling error sir. Now shouldn't you get back to the housework before your good ladywife gets home