• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer recommendations? (old guy law student)

Flokk

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm a first year law student, and just turned 33 - past the age where bad fashion is forgiven. Not headed to biglaw this summer, but I'm at a so-called "top school" and regularly attend lots of informal (biz casual) events. Will likely be attending much of the same at the small office I'm heading to this summer. I've been slumming it in jeans, linen, and my trusty lineup of AE bluchers so far, with a decent Tom Ford MTM for interviews, but I'm tired of looking like a jerk in my 30's. It's time to take it up a notch.

So I'm looking to pick up 1-2 blazers - at least one linen/cotton and unlined/lightly-structured for summer use - that I can wear to business casual receptions, class occasionally, and around town, without looking like an arsehole but low-key and decent.

I'm a big guy at 6'2" and a pretty well built 240lbs. I wear a 44L-46(L). The JC Ludlow is out with those pencil lapels. The JC Crosby is all backordered. I recently tried Suit Supply Napoli but even sizing up to a 46L, my shoulders and biceps are just too wide. I've been all over the place trying to find something and am basically out of ideas.

I'd like to keep total expenses under $700-1000 USD for 2 blazers, or $350-500 USD for 1 blazer. But, I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" so for sure willing to step up in price for something I can wear, occasionally, in 5 years time, and that will set me apart in a good way for the time being.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations?

Many (many) thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ajc2162

Reaction score
Just curious Flokk...but what do you mean by 'ttt"?

LIMatt

Reaction score
I'm a similar size to you -- 6'5", 225, 46L.

I have two recommendations for a lightweight jacket: Gap's cotton blazers (there are a few options) and Uniqlo's "comfort jacket" (same).

For a nicer wool piece, search eBay by brand name. Brooks, Hickey Freeman, Southwick, etc.

ajc2162

Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks mate. You live and learn. The internet language is such a moving feast - "in the old days" you put "lol" at the end of a message meaning "lots of love". Now that means 'laughing out loud".
Pity the poor old grandmothers still lovingly sending birthday greetings to their young tech-savvy grandkids and signing off "lol grandma" ...........................lol !!!

Flokk

Reaction score
I'm a similar size to you -- 6'5", 225, 46L.

I have two recommendations for a lightweight jacket: Gap's cotton blazers (there are a few options) and Uniqlo's "comfort jacket" (same).

For a nicer wool piece, search eBay by brand name. Brooks, Hickey Freeman, Southwick, etc.

Here's what Gap has...http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=48873&vid=1&pid=178130012

What do you think about these? It's tough to tell garbage from good stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hickey-Free...963245?hash=item1eab009ded:g:jWEAAOSwoydWnpWn

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/hickey-freeman~b~2234/sizefamily~size;46/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANALI-ITAL...082757?hash=item542a9b7045:g:Ax0AAOSwWTRWw-pc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Southwick-H...510217?hash=item3f5c010489:g:RcwAAOSwwbdWPhMW

Thanks mate. You live and learn. The internet language is such a moving feast - "in the old days" you put "lol" at the end of a message meaning "lots of love". Now that means 'laughing out loud".
Pity the poor old grandmothers still lovingly sending birthday greetings to their young tech-savvy grandkids and signing off "lol grandma" ...........................lol !!!

Ain't that the truth!

LIMatt

Reaction score

Flokk

Reaction score
Oh
The Gap one is more or less what I have. If you don't like the length on the model in the picture, get the tall.

The Hickey Freeman on eBay looks stained. I like the blue windowpane out of the new ones. The Canali and the Southwick look good.

Oh, good eye, thanks!

I pulled the trigger on the windowpane and gingham Hickeys, plus the Southwick (soon), plus the Gap. Something out of that pack should work.

Really appreciate the advice, man.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads