1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Blazer or orpaned suit jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marc237, Apr 11, 2005.

1. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

Prior SF discussion on this subject (IMO, Manton's comments in the prior thread are appropriate to this item) http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....nd+part Looks like part of a suit to me, not a blazer. Personally, I find that if I doubt an item sufficiently to post about it, then I shouldn't get it. If you backtrack through the HOF "What are you wearing today" thread, you'll find Jon (IMAGEWIS) with a "real" RLPL blazer.

3. armscye

armscye Senior Member

I must absolutely disagree. With the right metal buttons this could be a sumptuous double-breasted blazer. I do not believe that even clotheshorse aficionados equate a blazer with mandatory patch pockets. A blazer is as an issue of color and trim, and with the right buttons this qualifies on both counts.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

That's a suit coat, without question. But I agree with armscye that you could get some decent use out of it by changing the buttons. I prefer blazers to be a shade lighter, and have some "surface interest" in the weave, but if you're looking for a good deal on a high-quality coat, that could serve you well. IF you change the buttons.

5. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I like navy DB odd jackets with navy buttons worn with flannels, but I'm not wild about this gray one.

6. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Because of the cut, it will work only if you put brass or silver buttons on it.

7. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

Reguardless of button, I find that navy blue goes really well with boot cut jeans. But wearing orpaned suit coat such as PL jacket in question with dress pants may look little out of place.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It's gray? It looks more like a dark slate blue to me. But I guess I can't really tell.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Looks dark blue to me as well.

10. StagRaven

StagRaven Well-Known Member

Blue on my screen...

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

Even with different buttons I don't know if this would work. Believe me, I tried this same thing with a coat whose pants departed this mortal Earth. I believe it was a 90 to 95 per cent success but there was always something a little wrong with it.

It's my opinion only but save your money.