Blazer/Jackets opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAB, Jun 5, 2012.

1. NAB

NAB Active Member

Hello Stylists

I am going to get three tailor made blazers in a weeks time. Two Corduroy (I just for some reason dont like tweed!) and one velvet, the corduroy ones will mostly be worn outdoors and very casually whereas I will be wearing Velvet in the evenings for parties. Weather here is usually cold, so linen is not an option.

Corduroy Links
    http://www.ssense.com/men/product/diesel/jogavel_navy_corduroy_blazer/10459
    http://www.priceinspector.co.uk/d/6...le-Breasted-Button-Mens-Blazer-compare-prices (like the style of this jacket as well)

Velvet Links
    http://freenewfashiondesign.com/velvet-jacket-men-to-greet-christmas/ ( I am thinking of going for black one, but the chocolate one (last one) looks really nice to me!)

The corduroy ones, preferably with jeans (blue and black) and t shirt and about the velvet one not sure :) may be a shirt and jeans?

What I want help with is mainly the Colors and overall style (lapels, buttons on sleeve etc etc) that would suit the above description. Anything useful you may want to add from your personal experience. These will be my first blazers so yeah ideally the most versatile colors. Oh I am just 5 5' so usually avoid sharp contrasts and am an olive skinned Asian (slightly fairer but not white!) if this extra info helps :)

Have always had great advice from this forum so looking forward to your replies. Thanks!

2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

It's cold but you'll only be wearing a tshirt? :embar:

A tshirt and an autumn/fall material like cord seems just strange. It's like wearing shorts with your parka.

3. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Go to the Streetwear section of styleforum. This section will not tolerate the hell-portals that are the 3 links you've posted.

4. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

Velvet jacket with jeans look good if you're a rockstar.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I think the velvet jacket could look awesome, depending...

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I've got a dark blue velvet jacket in the works right now. I don't wear jeans but I think such a jacket would look good with them. I plan to wear it almost as semi-formal wear that's not actually semi-formal if that makes any sense...likely white shirt, open collar, black trousers. I may experiment with adding a black bowtie.

7. rick07

rick07 Well-Known Member

I hope the velvet jacket consists of black or dark blue, not the loud colors..

8. NAB

NAB Active Member

Nicola, its cold but not that cold and i will not be wearing it when its really cold anyway :) any recommendation on your autumn/fall suggestions? Thanks

Thanks to the last three posters as well for their comments. As for previous posters if you only have worthless and unhelpful comments, please dont waste my time and may be start a thread of your own!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  9. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

My advice was and continues to be the most helpful.

10. unbelragazzo

To clarify, you do not own the jackets in the links you posted, you're going to a tailor soon and you want to know what styling you should get on the jackets?

11. NAB

NAB Active Member

@Loathing, but I dont think anyone in that forum is interested in answering anything about blazers!

@unbelragazzo, Yeah I dont own any of those jackets right now and am looking for general opinions and advice, however I will probably go to a tailor next Monday! Thanks

12. Keough1206

Keough1206 Member

+1

Is there any reason you're not looking into a traditional navy worsted? The fashion statements you posted are for little boys, this is Men's Clothing. :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  13. unbelragazzo

Ok cool. Buttons on the sleeve is a personal thing and doesn't really matter IMHO, esp on an odd jacket. Some options you might want to consider on the cords are patch pockets or even bellows. I'd do a notch lapel on those. Given my intentions for my velvet jacket, it's one button peak lapel with jetted pockets. But you can decide for yourself if that's for you. I'd get chocolate over black if I were you. If your tailor can get it, Ariston velvet is amazing.

14. morrison13

morrison13 Well-Known Member

why wear velvet in summer?