• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer how to

us3r123

Reaction score
Hey there,

I am a fashion newbie trying to perfect the blazer look. I have purchased a couple over the past year and when I wear them my wife says I look like a professor(which is not the look I am going for). Right now I have 3 blazers, one is black with pin stripes, one is cream, and one is dark brown. Also, I really like the shirts with "high" collars, where do you get them? I have attached a pic of the look I am going for. Any advice would help.

Thanks!!

jmix1

Reaction score
I wouldn't look to E for examples of sartorial excellence. Maybe Turtle?

us3r123

Reaction score
If we were talking about sartorial excellence, I would likely go with Ari. But I am just looking for advice on how to pull off the blazer and jeans look.

jmix1

Reaction score
Sounds like the colors of your 3 current sportcoats may be tough to pull off with jeans. Tough to tell without pix. Try a solid sportcoat, maybe in navy or black. IMO when wearing a sportcoat with jeans, most men go wrong with the jeans. Either too baggy or not the right wash.

us3r123

Reaction score
Good call. I have been thinking of getting a Navy sportcoat, which is what spurred this post. It it ok to wear a navy sportcoat with blue jeans? Also, my other jackets are from department stores and Lands End(which may be why I can't get away from the "professor" look) I have looked at a lot of posts on here regarding what brands are stylisn. Is it really necessary to spend $500 to get a halfway decent stylish sportcoat? My other three were in the $50 range. Also, what brand or style of shirts have the "roll" at the top of the collar instead of a sharp crease, or is this just how the shirts are drycleaned?

Any thoughts?

us3r123

Reaction score
One other thing, regarding your comment on the incorrect wash, what do you think looks best? Will any jeans go with the cream blazer?

jmix1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by us3r123
Is it really necessary to spend $500 to get a halfway decent stylish sportcoat? My other three were in the $50 range.

Maybe not $500, but a $50 sportcoat? If this is your price range I would try to find something used in the buying and selling forum.

Again, pictures would help, but if I were to wear a tan or lighter brown sportscoat I would probably wear dark denim. You should check out some posts in the What are you wearing right now thread. Although most posts are of suited gents, plenty of denim/sportcoat combos are present. Yes you can wear denim with a navy sportcoat/blazer.

contaygious

Reaction score
Isn't a blazer by definition navy? That's what I would go with
wink.gif

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
Isn't a blazer by definition navy? That's what I would go with
wink.gif

Yes, a traditionaly blazer by definition is navy with metal buttons, typically brass or gold and sometimes has an insignia on the breast pocket.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's not much to this "blazer" look you ask about. It's not complicated.

If you are not wearing a tie, shirts with collars that button down will give you the high-standing collar look you ask about. You might also notice that less expensive dress shirts often come with smaller collars.

Make sure the shirt does not match the "blazer," and make sure there is a contrast between your sports coat and your pants. Color is the best way to get that contrast.

You might try a polo-collar sweater in between your shirt and your sportscoat.

GQBaller

Reaction score
In that picture, E is wearing a fitted oxford shirt (button-down collar). You should make sure you have one of those, and keep the top two buttons undone.

Also, make sure the blazer fits your shoulders and fits the contours of your sides.

Jeans with a straight leg would go best with a blazer.

Millerp

Reaction score
Also, what brand or style of shirts have the "roll" at the top of the collar instead of a sharp crease

A soft button down collar is the easiest way to get that effect.

A non button down point collar with a very soft lining and a higher neck band
will also give that roll effect at the top.

You can't get a soft roll with a fused or starched collar.

us3r123

Reaction score
I have been reading in other posts, somebody noted that in order to pull off the jeans/blazer look one must wear a designer blazer. What is the difference? Who are good designers for this look? Upon purchasing one do I need to have it tailored?

Thanks!

GQBaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by us3r123
I have been reading in other posts, somebody noted that in order to pull off the jeans/blazer look one must wear a designer blazer. What is the difference? Who are good designers for this look? Upon purchasing one do I need to have it tailored?

Thanks!

Yeah, designer blazers only. I'd suggest Ed Hardy.

us3r123

Reaction score
Is Burberry considered designer? What about purchasing a blazer at Men's wearhouse, they are having a big sale right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads