• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer fit check

no_regerts

Reaction score
Hello SF,

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. Thanks for having me.

A few days ago, I picked up a new navy blazer I had custom-made. I'd like to run it by you all for a fit check, mainly because I feel it's both (a) too close-fitting, especially around the mid-section and (b) too short at the bottom. What do you think, based on the attached pictures?

When I tried it on at the tailor's, things seemed okay. But wearing it a bit later that day I started to feel constricted in a way that I haven't before in suit jackets that I've had made by the same people. Walking around at home, sitting down at my desk, getting in and out of the car - nothing terribly vigorous, but that's just the thing. It shouldn't feel so tight when making pretty basic human movements. Plus, when I looked in the mirror at home, the length looked really out of whack. The blazer somehow looks disproportionate with the length of my body. I have quite large legs - I'm wondering if that's part of this.

While I'm not as knowledgeable in these matters as you denizens of SF, I know what I like in terms of style and fit when I have something made especially for me: classic, unpretentious looks with a close-but-not-too-close fit. I'm usually trusting of my intuition, but I wanted to get a second opinion. What do you all think? Furthermore, if it indeed looks a bit too tight, or too short, or both, what are my options with something like this? To what degree can something like this be "fixed" or adjusted before someone says "you're just gonna need a whole new jacket"?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help. If imagine quality or composition is lacking, I'm happy to take more photos. Just let me know!

2020-09-21 22_05_34-Photos.png
2020-09-21 22_05_58-Photos.png
2020-09-21 22_06_13-Photos.png
2020-09-21 22_06_30-IMG_20200921_210356.jpg ‎- Photos.png

no_regerts

Reaction score
@Stylewords and @Phileas Fogg -- thank you both for your candor. No need to apologize for bluntness, as that's exactly what I was hoping to get by posting on StyleForum.

@Phileas Fogg : would you say that the tightness is throughout, or more focused on the midsection? To my sense of things, the shoulders feel a bit better than my belly area. Also, how long should a blazer like this be, in your eyes? Say, relative to the length of my thumb with my arm at my side? I have a sport jacket I quite like that goes to my thumb-knuckle (mid-thumb?), so about an inch more than this navy blazer.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would add that the button point seems high. Though this may be exacerbated by the shortness of the jacket and wearing jeans at the hip instead of the waist.

In terms of how long a jacket should be? Contentious subject. Fashion and trend has shortened jackets recently. Especially obvious on the fashion side. Its a younger look thing and can look good on a male model, but frankly its a bad call.

Some here are quite traditional and would want it much longer. At the minimum it should be covering or 90% covering your seat I should think.

no_regerts

Reaction score
@ValidusLA , thanks for the note on the button. I'll bring it up to them when I have the jacket remade.

On being "traditional": if that's the case, well, I'm happy to be here! I'm in my mid-thirties and when I'm spending money on clothing, my priority is "classic" and "timeless", etc., both in terms of fit and materials. So I'm neither all that young anymore and definitely *not* a male model. :lol:

The "covering your seat" heuristic is excellent, thank you. When they were taking my measurements and we got to the "length" question, I really didn't know what to say. I suspect my ignorance is what got me into trouble.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Stylewords and @Phileas Fogg -- thank you both for your candor. No need to apologize for bluntness, as that's exactly what I was hoping to get by posting on StyleForum.

@Phileas Fogg : would you say that the tightness is throughout, or more focused on the midsection? To my sense of things, the shoulders feel a bit better than my belly area. Also, how long should a blazer like this be, in your eyes? Say, relative to the length of my thumb with my arm at my side? I have a sport jacket I quite like that goes to my thumb-knuckle (mid-thumb?), so about an inch more than this navy blazer.

the length is not so much an issue of the sleeves but of the length of the jacket. I can see your backside completely. It should be covered.

the jacket is definitely pulling at the waist and needs to be let out. It doesn’t help that the button stance is so high which further accentuated the extremity of the break.

MargauxAus

Reaction score
Hello, the blazer is a bit small for you, and yes, remade is needed. A good fitting of the blazer is seen on the V-shape from the shoulders to the waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads