• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer Fit: Advice Please

Diomedes

Reaction score
This blazer was sitting on a bench outside my workplace for two days, at which point I took a closer look and found it to be in great condition. I tried it on and it seemed to me that it was not so far off from my size (it's a bit too large) and that it could be salvageable. (Yeah, it's a little gross to find a blazer on the street and try it on, but I'm a poor grad student lacking an all-important navy blazer and couldn't pass up the opportunity.) I have since had it dry cleaned and am now wanting to take it to a tailor. But before I go, might someone advise me regarding whether or not it's too large for a tailor to easily take down to my size, and if not, what alterations I should be looking for? I've never been to a tailor before and so don't know what to expect. Should I simply take the blazer in and have the tailor alter it as he sees fit, or should I provide him with a list of specific alterations I want him to do (copied from responses to this post).

For those curious, the blazer is made by Dawson & Roberts, a company which I'm having some trouble finding any information about except that it's sold at Nordstrom.

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

heaven7

Reaction score
Looks like at least 2 sizes too big for you.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
way way way way way too homeless errr long.

mic

Reaction score
Holy ****, that thing is a tent. It would cost $200 to make it look halfway right on you, but there is someone out there that will look like a million bucks in it. Bring it to the Salvation Army and make somebody very happy about their new blazer.

Good for you for picking it up, though. I thought I was the only garbage picker round these parts.
laugh.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your swimming in this, the shoulders are very broad, the sleeves are extreemly long as well. I would say your at least a size too big if not more, I would exchange it, there is no way to fix this with alterations.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not your size. Nothing more can be said. Can't alter a donkey into a horse....

Diomedes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I would exchange it

How so?

To the others, thanks for the replies. I won't bother bringing it to a tailor, and I suppose I'll have to live without a navy blazer indefinitely. What a grave disappointment.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diomedes
How so?

To the others, thanks for the replies. I won't bother bringing it to a tailor, and I suppose I'll have to live without a navy blazer indefinitely. What a grave disappointment.

My advice: Take it to a bench and say you don't have a receipt. Benches usually have good CS. You should get store credit at the worst.

blackwar12

Reaction score
How so?

=/ Just go to, like, Macy's or Nordstrom rack or something, you should be able to find a blazer in the 150-250 range. Or go with andersonlitle blazer ($159). Or heck just go buy a blazer from H&M or Zara. Or something like Marks & Spencer. A billion options out there for you to get an...alright...navy blazer for less than $200, even somewhere in the $100 range. Just spend less when you go to the bar/club/whatever for a short while.

kohelet

Reaction score
This blazer was sitting on a bench outside my workplace for two days, at which point I took a closer look and found it to be in great condition. I tried it on and it seemed to me that it was not so far off from my size (it's a bit too large) and that it could be salvageable. (Yeah, it's a little gross to find a blazer on the street and try it on, but I'm a poor grad student lacking an all-important navy blazer and couldn't pass up the opportunity.) I have since had it dry cleaned and am now wanting to take it to a tailor. But before I go, might someone advise me regarding whether or not it's too large for a tailor to easily take down to my size, and if not, what alterations I should be looking for? I've never been to a tailor before and so don't know what to expect. Should I simply take the blazer in and have the tailor alter it as he sees fit, or should I provide him with a list of specific alterations I want him to do (copied from responses to this post).

For those curious, the blazer is made by Dawson & Roberts, a company which I'm having some trouble finding any information about except that it's sold at Nordstrom.

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

Where I come from we have a name for guys like you... Ladron!!!! C'est declasse to take someone's missing garment, doesn't matter where you find it.

emichael1014

Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about , just finding a Jacket ... but it's a nice one so I say go for it ! I would say make very sure that fit in the Shoulder is Perfect ,also have the waist brought in enough to show you have a waist but able to still close the jacket .
My best advice is to look in magazines like GQ or Details often they tell you what the latest style of fit is , moreover if you see the fit you like take that photo to the tailor and tell them thats what you want also make sure their up on modern tailoring so that they understand what modern gentleman wear I've had that problem a couple times ...... Good luck !!!
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads