• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer/ coat brands for the tall and thin ?

itskub

Reaction score
ello. they say every man should have a well fitting versatile blazer.
Im 6'3", I occasionally come across a 36L or 38L, though theyre still 3 or 4 inches too short even after alterations, and the buttons are too high up.
Do I have any affordable options?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6'3" isn't that tall, I'm 6'1" and I want to find some shorter blazers.

SWB

Reaction score
Yeah this is throwing me for a loop too, I'm 6' 2" and if anything I find many 38Rs to be cut way too long. The only real issues I run into are with sleeve length, though it's usually only by a half inch or so. You definitely shouldn't be looking at 36s though, regardless of how small your chest or shoulders are. Costume National tends to cut pretty long sleeves, slim, and with a fairly good quality : price ratio. Not sure about their length, but once again, I'm 6' 2" and every 38 I've ever tried has been at least 30 inches, which is usually more than enough. What brands have you looked at that were too short?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not affordable, but I find that Paul Smith stuff is cut slim and is relatively long.

Or it used to be, I don't know much about their clothes anymore, I just oogle their shoes.

itskub

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. i shouldve been a bit more descriptive, I geuss I should be looking for a more traditional suit-jacket, as opposed to a casual blazer. so that it comes down to my butt the way a suit would.

i am considering ordering the CN off yoox for $240, hopefully itll come down long enough.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm a little baffled, I'm 6'3" and can wear most 38Rs (I have long arms and usually need another inch of sleeve).

There are tons of great deals on ebay.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh yeah I'll also give my support for CN. I always have to alter the sleeves by a couple inches shorter.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Yeah I'm a little baffled, I'm 6'3" and can wear most 38Rs (I have long arms and usually need another inch of sleeve).

There are tons of great deals on ebay.

6'3" and wearing a regular? I want to see the pictures. Unless the jacket is a weird cut, it's probably going to look like a girl's jacket and end at mid-butt.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
ello. they say every man should have a well fitting versatile blazer.
Im 6'3", I occasionally come across a 36L or 38L, though theyre still 3 or 4 inches too short even after alterations, and the buttons are too high up.
Do I have any affordable options?

6'3" may require an XL, depending on your body proportions - I think 6'0" to 6'4" is usually "Long", but there are exceptions depending on the cut. Alternatively, you could look for models that run long - I think Isaia and Canali are two upscale brands that run longer than normal (I wear neither, so I have no personal knowledge and you'll have to verify this through another source or on your own).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
6'3" and wearing a regular? I want to see the pictures. Unless the jacket is a weird cut, it's probably going to look like a girl's jacket and end at mid-butt.
I think a lot of it depends on your torso/leg proportions. I happen to have a long torso and relatively short legs (6'1", 30-31" inseam for 0 break, between regular/long on jacket) but if you had long legs but a relatively short torso (33-34" inseam at 6'3") I could see someone taking a regular jacket.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, in truth I'm about 6'2.5" and I wish I was taller... 34" inseam (sometimes a 35") I do prefer a shorter jacket to a longer one, and while some 38Rs are a bit short (barely cover my butt), I prefer it to something longer.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think a lot of it depends on your torso/leg proportions. I happen to have a long torso and relatively short legs (6'1", 30-31" inseam for 0 break, between regular/long on jacket) but if you had long legs but a relatively short torso (33-34" inseam at 6'3") I could see someone taking a regular jacket.

yeah, i know. my post immediately after the post you responded to acknowledges the impact of proportions. still, i want to see the pictures - i don't think it's going to look good, even if the individual had long legs and a short torso.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, in truth I'm about 6'2.5" and I wish I was taller...

34" inseam (sometimes a 35")

I do prefer a shorter jacket to a longer one, and while some 38Rs are a bit short (barely cover my butt), I prefer it to something longer.

what is your sleeve size? 36"? longer?

If you have a long sleeve - in the 36" range or so, I would still wear the 38L and let it go 2 inches longer below the butt in order to "balance" your torso to your legs. If you have short arms, then it might not work.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah 35-36".

I don't know what to tell you, admitedly I'm judging this by the handfull of blazers I own, but I can't imagine feeling comfortable in a 38L, the couple I've tried on have been far too long, and made me look very out of proportion.

Obvously, I not as experiencedin this matter, so maybe I'm just oddly propotioned, or have been wearing oddly cut coats.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah 35-36".

I don't know what to tell you, admitedly I'm judging this by the handfull of blazers I own, but I can't imagine feeling comfortable in a 38L, the couple I've tried on have been far too long, and made me look very out of proportion.

Obvously, I not as experiencedin this matter, so maybe I'm just oddly propotioned, or have been wearing oddly cut coats.

this is why i want to see pictures. when you drop your hands at your side, where does the end of the jacket come down to your hands?

one other thing - is the 34-35" inseam your denim inseam or dress pant inseam? I generally have my dress pants at 32" and my denim at 33-35", depending on stacking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads