• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer button on the wrong side?

metkirk

Reaction score
Hi guys, I really like this vintage blazer on ebay but the buttons are on the womens side instead of mens side
frown.gif
Is this really an issue now or nobody really cares about it anymore?
confused.gif

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
Hi guys, I really like this vintage blazer on ebay but the buttons are on the womens side instead of mens side
frown.gif
Is this really an issue now or nobody really cares about it anymore?
confused.gif

its probably a womans garment. but if you dont care and it fits???
if it fits you could have a buttonhole made on the other side.
then the button would be sewn over the old buttonhole.

metkirk

Reaction score
fa_1.JPG

Above's the blazer I'm interested in. The problem's I don't live close to any tailor shop to even consider switching the buttons to the other side. Btw does the blazer look feminine to you?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fa_1.JPG

Above's the blazer I'm interested in. The problem's I don't live close to any tailor shop to even consider switching the buttons to the other side. Btw does the blazer look feminine to you?

It looks like a woman's jacket, but if you like it I say wear it.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eek.gif

metkirk

Reaction score
The length is 29 inch which fits me cause I have a jacket that is the same length. I feel the lapels are too spread out and curvy
bored.gif
Well maybe I'll look for something else, thanks for you guys' help
smile.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There aren't enough men's blazers in the world that you need a jacket that looks instantly identifiable as a woman's jacket to even the most unlearned observer? Listen not to the others counseling you to buy this jacket (well, which you already decided not to any way). You are a man. Wear men's clothing only.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you were looking for another forum? You are probably just asking the wrong crowd if they think a woman's garment is appropriate for any gentleman to wear.

Halloween is excepted for some gentlemen!
smile.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear a woman's coat. And yes, people still do care about stuff like that.

"Dude, is that a chick's coat that you're wearing?"

metkirk

Reaction score
I'm just trying to find stuff that fits my dead skinny body
frown.gif
I can't afford bespoke so I tend to be desperate sometimes
tounge.gif
The situation's very different when you don't have any outerwear at all you know, and yes, I go through the freezing winter with only sweaters. I'd rather die in the cold than wear a baggy blazer or jacket whatever...
bored.gif

pg34

Reaction score
frown.gif
I can't afford bespoke so I tend to be desperate sometimes
tounge.gif
The situation's very different when you don't have any outerwear at all you know, and yes, I go through the freezing winter with only sweaters. I'd rather die in the cold than wear a baggy blazer or jacket whatever...
bored.gif

I'm really skinny too, and my advice is that you find a good tailor and have him adjust stuff you find off the rack or on eBay. Just make sure you buy stuff that fits your shoulders.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The obsession with gendered clothing is a vestige of class dissent under the Ottoman empire. May I suggest the traditional garb of the Buryat dancers will suit your purposes. This is covered rather inadequately in the various works of JM Rogers and in Mircea's writings on shamanistic ecstasy.

mendel

Reaction score
frown.gif

That sportcoat doesn't fit your body, though. I thought it was a cardigan before I read the accompanying text. The point of fit is not to match the size of your body; it's to emphasize the best parts and downplay the worst, and that does the opposite (especially in the shoulders, arms, and chest, but also in the length and waist.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads