• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer as suit jacket?

ezwicky

Reaction score
I recently bought a new navy blazer from Franco's here in Richmond, and in thinking about buying a navy suit, it occurred to me that as infrequently as I would wear such a suit (two - three times a year) that maybe I could buy a pair of navy trousers and call it a suit. Are such things possible?

Thanks in advance,

eric Zwicky
Richmond VA

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No.

Regards.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To clarify @ter1413's answer, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to find a pair of navy trousers that match your blazer. Furthermore, the blazer is likely to have details that set it apart from a suit jacket, such as the buttons.

ezwicky

Reaction score
Inverting the idea, it seems to me that I could have a charcoal worsted suit, and use the trousers occasionally with the blazer. Would that work?

Thanks again,

Eric

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Inverting the idea, it seems to me that I could have a charcoal worsted suit, and use the trousers occasionally with the blazer. Would that work?

Thanks again,

Eric
Possibly, depending on the details of the suit and blazer. You will be wearing it the trousers faster than the jacket in this situation though.

EdT

Reaction score
Blazers have flair, suits are boring ! ...LoL
Since you have a blazer why even try to get matching trouser ? Navy blazer with gray trousers is as formal as a suit.

EdT

Reaction score

Thanks again,

Eric

Again using an orphaned suit jacket as a blazer is again a no no, suit jackets are more plain and the material is more soft/fitting than a blazer. I always see guys trying to get away with wearing an orphaned suit jacket as a blazer ...LoL

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blazers have flair, suits are boring ! ...LoL
Since you have a blazer why even try to get matching trouser ? Navy blazer with gray trousers is as formal as a suit.
Blazer is not as formal as a suit, unless you're talking an informal suit like a seersucker

EdT

Reaction score
Blazer is not as formal as a suit, unless you're talking an informal suit like a seersucker

There are two types of blazers mainly the navy and traditional camel hair that can be "as formal" or "almost as formal" as a suit as quoted by GQ many times before.

ezwicky

Reaction score
Thanks Ed and Madhat. My thought was that I could have a pretty versatile charcoal (or lighter grey) suit, and occasionally wear the suit trousers separately with odd jackets, including my dark navy blazer.

In the case of a charcoal Fresco sport jacket (being made for me at the moment), would a pair of charcoal wool trousers from a suit be too much of a color match? Or would the differences in fabric textures lessen the matchiness?

I might start another thread with this question...

Thanks again,

Eric

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They'd be too similar; it'd look like you were trying to make a suit out of mismatched items.

EdT

Reaction score
Thanks Ed and Madhat. My thought was that I could have a pretty versatile charcoal (or lighter grey) suit, and occasionally wear the suit trousers separately with odd jackets, including my dark navy blazer.

In the case of a charcoal Fresco sport jacket (being made for me at the moment), would a pair of charcoal wool trousers from a suit be too much of a color match? Or would the differences in fabric textures lessen the matchiness?

I might start another thread with this question...

Thanks again,

Eric

The charcoal trouser would work with a navy blazer if it is not too dark, there has to be a contrast in color between the blazer and the trousers for it to work. The three trouser colors that goes well with a navy blazer is grey, beige/tan and off white !

Anachronist

Reaction score
I can only second what the other members wrote: don't pair similar but non-identical colored fabrics with each other. Believe me, it virtually never works.
If you want a suit buy one. I personally share the view mentioned above that an odd jacket paired with a nice different colored pair of slacks or chinos provides for a much more striking contrast and is less boring than a suit. Such a combination can be worn on many occasions, bar the moost formal ones or those actually calling for a suit.

EdT

Reaction score
I can only second what the other members wrote: don't pair similar but non-identical colored fabrics with each other. Believe me, it virtually never works.
If you want a suit buy one. I personally share the view mentioned above that an odd jacket paired with a nice different colored pair of slacks or chinos provides for a much more striking contrast and is less boring than a suit. Such a combination can be worn on many occasions, bar the moost formal ones or those actually calling for a suit.

How many times you wear an outfit is the return on investment. Not many people wear suits frequently enough in their line of work or daily lives to make a return on investment. Honestly I cannot think of a formal event these days that a blazer would not be sufficient even if its a wedding or funeral abeit it is not your own ...LoL Most people today associate even a blazer or tux as formal when they really are not. Versatility like a blazer or sports jacket and frequency of wear should be the foremost criteria when shopping for clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads