• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blake Stitch/Good Year Welt Procedure

Mr Lam

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently made an enquiry about how the soles of a pair of shoes at x company are made. They told me that their shoes are glued to the upper first before being stitched.

I've probed even further (hey, I want my shoes to last) and they've also clarified that the soles are glued to the upper before they stitch them to the upper (apologies for the repetition there, but I had to make sure we were on the same page).

I'm making this post because I want to be sure that's how the process usually works: the soles are glued before being stitched to the upper.

How often are there cases like that?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about Goodyear welted shoes or Blake stitched shoes? Goodyear construction stitches the outsole to the welt, not to the upper. Blake stitching goes through the insole, upper, and outsole. Anyhow, neither method requires cementing of the outsole to the welt or upper. I could imagine that cementing might help speed up the construction process but it's hardly necessary.

Care to share the name of this company?

Mr Lam

Reaction score
The company is "Supreme Leather Wear". I've attached the link to their ad on Bonanza.

Update: they've come back to me and attached a photo of how the shoes are made. It sounds really sketchy. What are our thoughts?
20180510_122417.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the small picture but it does not look like a GYW shoe (can't make out a canvas rib). On the other hand, I do see what appears to be a welt, so it does not seem to be Blake stitched either. In any case, the photos of the shoes on the website look like a corrected grain leather. I would avoid.

Veit Lehmann

Reaction score
I agree with breakaway01. Normally the upper leather is fixed with nails, before it is connected with the canvas rib and the welt. If you don't see a canvas rib, it might be done with an even more elaborate technique: Instead of using a glued canvas rib, you cut a 'canal' into the inner sole and use this to saw through it. This is however an expensive method and I highly doubt that they can sell their shoes for about 200 $. I have attached a picture of the Goodyear Welting technique. goodyear-welted_shoe (1).png

AssMan543

Reaction score
Dude, they all use cement before stitching the outsole to the upper, whether gyw or Blake. Otherwise the soles would fall out as soon as you wear through the threads. There are numerous photos of shoes worn through the threads but still attached to the shoe.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, they all use cement before stitching the outsole to the upper, whether gyw or Blake. Otherwise the soles would fall out as soon as you wear through the threads. There are numerous photos of shoes worn through the threads but still attached to the shoe.
not true. a lock stitch is used precisely to avoid this problem. No cement is needed.

AssMan543

Reaction score
not true. a lock stitch is used precisely to avoid this problem. No cement is needed.
It may not be needed, but most manufacturers do it anyway because having the cement as a reinforcement is just a better engineered structure.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you were completely wrong about your original claim; what makes you so sure about this one? If there is any glue used to facilitate stitching the sole to the welt, it seems unlikely to be used for structural integrity. When a GYW shoe is resoled it does not appear to be difficult to pull the unstitched sole off the upper+welt, which makes me think that if there is any cement or glue used, it can't be too strong of a bond.

Anyhow since neither of us is an expert on this, perhaps @Nick V. can shed some light on this.

Last edited:

Veit Lehmann

Reaction score
you were completely wrong about your original claim; what makes you so sure about this one? If there is any glue used to facilitate stitching the sole to the welt, it seems unlikely to be used for structural integrity. When a GYW shoe is resoled it does not appear to be difficult to pull the unstitched sole off the upper+welt, which makes me think that if there is any cement or glue used, it can't be too strong of a bond.

Anyhow since neither of us is an expert on this, perhaps @Nick V. can shed some light on this.

The AssMan is actually right. Glue is also used for the gyw method, even though the sole is stitched to the welt. It is just more stable that way and all of the famous brands do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads