1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

BlackTieFoo: Shirt Studs and Other Fooish Contemplations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, the wedding was over the weekend and I wore my full get-up. First time ever in 100% correct black tie. A few observations:

1. I f*cked up by ordering my shirt with a two-button collar as on my regular shirts. The bottom button tends to show.

2. A cummerbund is useful even with a double-breasted dinner jacket. When sitting or dancing it's nice to have the option of unbuttoning the jacket.

3. Even though it was a large black tie event (~250 people) at a fancy hotel with generally well-to-do guests, very few men dressed in fully correct black tie. In fact, there were more guys in black suits with long black ties than ones in a proper tuxedo with a bow tie. Most of the men in correct black tie were over 60. Almost all dinner jackets worn were single breasted with notch lapels. Shoes were egregious across the board. It was basically as if people just wore whatever black shoes they happened to have. Lots of brogues. Lots of loafers, too.

4. A surprising number of men, young and old, wore pocket squares. They probably shouldn't have as most were awkwardly tucked in (lots of TV-folded silk) or odd in design.

5. Maybe 1 in 10 men in dinner jackets wore studs. The others were all in regularly buttoned shirts.

6. There was one other guest I saw with shawl lapels and he was easily 70.

7. Single-cuff shirts were nowhere to be seen. Everyone but me wore French cuffs. I didn't notice any barrel cuffs.

8. No matter what anybody says, there is a real advantage to a pique bib front and collar even if not starched. The heavier, highly textured fabric keeps the visible parts of the shirt looking flat and unwrinkled. When you don't have a long tie to cover things up, a regular shirt tends to look too rumpled.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

foo you got any pics? would love to see them

3. mafoofan

We didn't bring a camera but lots of photos were taken. I will post one if I catch it on Facebook or if the bride and groom send me any of the formal shots I was in.

4. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

Dancing with an unbuttoned DB jacket sounds like a recipe for disaster.

5. JonathanCWalker

JonathanCWalker Senior member

great looking show i have an Edward Green shoe like this

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  7. mafoofan

Not if you're wearing a cummerbund!

8. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Don't you still end up with 2 car doors dangling from your armpits and a big conical hump on your back when you lean forward?

9. mafoofan

Don't understand where the hump would come from, but the dangling car door problem isn't so bad, particularly when you have a relatively narrow overlap.

10. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Hmm, I probably have 60 pounds on you, so maybe that's why I have that problem worse than you do. I'm taller and fatter alike, they they look ridiculous when I have them flapping in the wind. As for the hump, they're counter balanced enough to distend the back when their weight brings them down.

11. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Which shoes did you go with?

12. mafoofan

Alden patent oxfords with silk laces I had to order from Cleverley. Looked pretty darn good.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  13. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

I have to say that for what most people call dancing, the question of whether or not to button the suit jacket is (technically) irrelevant.

Foo, it seems you felt comfortable in your getup and enjoyed the event, congrats!

14. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  15. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Also, assuming foo did some break dancing, which I think is a safe assumption, a head spin with the unbuttoned DB would create magnificent whirling dirvish with the unbuttoned DB.

16. mafoofan

Every dance I do has a little Funky Chicken in it.

17. apropos

apropos Senior member

:confused:

18. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are a funky chicken.

20. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member