• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blacksmith.... what do they do these days?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. I have a friend who's taking a couple courses in it, he seems to really enjoy it. But... how do blacksmiths make any money these days? I would assume that most business comes in the form of non-necessity projects... like creating "home-forged" tools and stuff that are only viewed as worth anything because they are forged rather than cast.

Anyone have any experience, or insight into how people afford to do this full time?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Just wondering. I have a friend who's taking a couple courses in it, he seems to really enjoy it. But... how do blacksmiths make any money these days? I would assume that most business comes in the form of non-necessity projects... like creating "home-forged" tools and stuff that are only viewed as worth anything because they are forged rather than cast. Anyone have any experience, or insight into how people afford to do this full time?
You really can't. Most blacksmiths scrape by. You'll see cases of people doing custom iron work who do some blacksmithing as part of the job, but they're also welders, etc. Farriers do some smithing, but that's hardly it. Most people who blacksmith do it as a hobby only.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
You really can't. Most blacksmiths scrape by. You'll see cases of people doing custom iron work who do some blacksmithing as part of the job, but they're also welders, etc. Farriers do some smithing, but that's hardly it. Most people who blacksmith do it as a hobby only.

Ah, that's what I somewhat thought. It seems a shame, as it'd be quite the career.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are whitesmiths more successful than blacksmiths?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
curious to why your friend would want to take up blacksmithing. what does he intend to make?

steviepowers

Reaction score
Ooooh you can make alot of money being a black smith... especially in online roll playing games
biggrin.gif

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have him make some swords and armor for your LARPing.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our blacksmith has made us:

Iron Gates at the front of the house
Hoods for each fire
Iron railings at the sides of the house

I should imagine that there is more work in rural settings than in cities. I briefly wanted to become a blacksmith, there seems something inherently honest about beating iron with a hammer.

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Our blacksmith has made us:

Iron Gates at the front of the house
Hoods for each fire
Iron railings at the sides of the house

do you by any chance also own a stablehand, butler or squire? lol.

Dewi

Reaction score
Horse farms, equestrian estates, etc. need blacksmiths to keep the horses shod. Smaller scale custom structural pieces as well as decorative works are often made by smiths, and some smaller, odd metal works as well.

Note: I see welders as a subset of the blacksmiths, as most smiths are welders, but most welders aren't necessarily smiths, so take that for what it's worth.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Are whitesmiths more successful than blacksmiths?

theyre paid more...but use smaller tools.

BP348

Reaction score
I read an article a while back about a blacksmith who spent most of his time doing work for horse owners up in the northwest.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewi
Horse farms, equestrian estates, etc. need blacksmiths to keep the horses shod.

Originally Posted by BP348
I read an article a while back about a blacksmith who spent most of his time doing work for horse owners up in the northwest.

I'd have thought that horses would have RTW shoes by now. Fascinating that they still get bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads