• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlackLapel.com - any experience with them?

PsylentStorm

Reaction score
I've seen that Indochino is hit and miss, but does anyone have any experience with BlackLapel.com? I've heard the horror stories of Indochino, but it sounds as if BlackLapel has a stronger commitment to quality. For what it's worth, their suits are also half-canvassed.

I know online MTM is far from ideal, but it's going to be a purchase for multiple people (groomsmen), and I think having multiple suits of the same fabric but with different features would be a nice change from having everyone wear the same OTR suit. I'm still open to the latter idea if people feel that it's significantly better to go with the same OTR suit (budget ~$350) than going online MTM.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Henkie

Reaction score
I saw somebody post some picks of a suit he got from them on Reddit. I was not particularly impressed with the fit. The problem is, of course, that I can't tell whether that's because the guy screwed up his measurements, or because BlackLapel screwed up when making the suit. But neither would entirely surprise me.

Jmm003

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a suit later this week [after I triple-check my measurements]. I'll report back after I do.

spitshine123

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a suit later this week [after I triple-check my measurements]. I'll report back after I do.

Would be greatly appreciated. The fabric descriptions on the site seem great. A little more expensive than indochino.... I would like to see how they stack up.

jbernard

Reaction score
I have 1 suits from them, and loved it so much i bought to more and a shirt from them. I cannot say for everyone, but they got my measurements near exact. The only suit I have better is a suit by a custom tailor in Northville, MI. But you are never going to get as good of a fit online as with a master tailor. I will post a picture when I get a chance to show you the fit. It should be note that I like slim fit suits, 2.5-3" ties and no break on my suit/pants. I do not know how
Their less slim (tailored) and traditional fit is. The models on their website that are wearing "tailored fit" I don't think look very good. So you are on your own with black lapel if you don't like slim fit.
The others thing I can say is unlike most online places they do accept returns. Do free remakes, and have the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

I will post a picture tomorrow when I am at a computer not on my phone.

Jmm003

Reaction score
I received sample swatches in the mail a few days ago from Black Lapel. I requested swatches for the Solid Cool Grey, Solid Charcoal, and Solid Navy Blue suits. The cloth seems quite superb.

Compared to the Indochino Essential Suits, the standard Black Lapel offerings had a much smoother texture, slightly lighter feel, and an ever so slightly greater sheen. Black Lapel clearly has the superior fabric here.

Compared to the Indochino Vincero Suits, however, the cloth was--for my untrained eye--indistinguishable. Of course I was not comparing apples to apples at this point [the Vincero swatches I ordered were mostly patterns and stripes, not solids], but the hand of both sets was similar.

Moreover, Black Lapel's customer service is spot on--I requested these swatches on Friday, and they arrived on Monday. And the swatches came with a complimentary measuring tape, similar to ones available through Indochino. Even though I did not request a tape, it was a nice touch.

I am still hoping that someone will post more photos here of a Black Lapel suit and describe its cut and construction.

jbernard

Reaction score
I received sample swatches in the mail a few days ago from Black Lapel. I requested swatches for the Solid Cool Grey, Solid Charcoal, and Solid Navy Blue suits. The cloth seems quite superb.

Compared to the Indochino Essential Suits, the standard Black Lapel offerings had a much smoother texture, slightly lighter feel, and an ever so slightly greater sheen. Black Lapel clearly has the superior fabric here.

Compared to the Indochino Vincero Suits, however, the cloth was--for my untrained eye--indistinguishable. Of course I was not comparing apples to apples at this point [the Vincero swatches I ordered were mostly patterns and stripes, not solids], but the hand of both sets was similar.

Moreover, Black Lapel's customer service is spot on--I requested these swatches on Friday, and they arrived on Monday. And the swatches came with a complimentary measuring tape, similar to ones available through Indochino. Even though I did not request a tape, it was a nice touch.

I am still hoping that someone will post more photos here of a Black Lapel suit and describe its cut and construction.
I have to get my sleeves of my black lapel suits altered. But that was my fault I took the advice of a local tailor and didn't realize they had the sleeves to my hand not allowing some shirt sleeve to show. But I will post pictures of my black and navy suit hopefully tonight.

jbernard

Reaction score
Also, if you don't see a customization option on their website just give them an email and they will do it for you for free. from anything to more buttons, another boutonniere, etc.

I am also getting 4 shirts from them that are not on their website. I told them what I wanted they got swatches from their supplier and are going to make them for me!

jbernard

Reaction score

Your saying the Vincero was better correct? You said it, but you are definitely comparing apples to oranges. Those 3 are all Black Lapel's Super 110s fabrics. you should feel their 130s (Charcoal Light Blue Pinstripe, etc.) and their 150s (Solid Gray suit). They are the same quality as suits I have had made from very prestigious tailors at 2-3 times the cost.

Jmm003

Reaction score
Your saying the Vincero was better correct? You said it, but you are definitely comparing apples to oranges. Those 3 are all Black Lapel's Super 110s fabrics. you should feel their 130s (Charcoal Light Blue Pinstripe, etc.) and their 150s (Solid Gray suit). They are the same quality as suits I have had made from very prestigious tailors at 2-3 times the cost.

No. I said they were indistinguishable. Put another way, I'm saying the feel of the Vincero was similar to the Super 110s from Black Lapel. Again, this was only a comparison of cloth, not construction...and it was certainly not an expert's opinion.

jbernard

Reaction score
No. I said they were indistinguishable. Put another way, I'm saying the feel of the Vincero was similar to the Super 110s from Black Lapel. Again, this was only a comparison of cloth, not construction...and it was certainly not an expert's opinion.

Hmm, don't know what I read not that I read it again. Here is a picture of my navy suit. I wore it today. This is the slim fit. I used my iphone for the camera and it does indeed tent to add 5 pounds. But you can see the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads