1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

BlackLapel.com - any experience with them?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PsylentStorm, Apr 30, 2012.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Looks a bit tight to me in the chest and where it buttons. Seems to be a bit of collar gap too. Agree completely on the fabric; a jacket like that really needs something like patch pockets or metal buttons to clearly identify it as a navy blazer.

2. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

Tailoring is pretty expensive in Norway, so I might just skip trying to alter it as it would need to be fixed both in the sleeves and in the chest. Might just send it back and ask for them to refund it for a store credit towards a suit.

3. armstwa

armstwa Active Member

4. bware

bware New Member

Echoing Wade ^

I recently received my first BlackLapel suit. Warning - when they say Slim Fit, they aren't kidding; I'm used to buying slim fit off the rack out of necessity, but theirs was super slim and actually ended up a little too tight. I can't give a proper review since this suit will likely require a remake, but I'm certainly pleased with the quality for the price. Fingers crossed the fitting works out so that I can buy a couple more.

I bought a shirt from them as well. It was also tight, but that doesn't bother me on a shirt. I'm happy with it and will probably buy a few more after minor alterations to my measurements.

Link to the tailor thread where I've posted pictures (fit recommendations welcome)
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/...-alteration-suggestions/4100_100#post_6770989

5. le.gentleman

le.gentleman Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. SFAN

SFAN Member

^ Great review!

I picked up a shirt to start my MTM experience with them, will report back once I get it! Suit will probably be the next thing in order...

7. klam1991

klam1991 Member

[​IMG]
    Sorry I don't have any other pictures but I am the guy to the left. I bought this from Black Lapel last year. The only problem I had was the pants were about an inch too short but they had room for me to lengthen it out an inch. I would totally buy more but unfortunately being in college I can't buy another at the moment lol

8. Alex C

Alex C Senior member

Hello all,
    I placed an order with BlackLapel for a Double Breasted Shawl Lapel Tuxedo just over a month ago, and it arrived at my door today.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the fit, though there are some issues.

I provided BlackLapel with a shot of Tom Hanks in a Tom Ford DB Shawl at the Oscars a few years ago and asked them to replicate it to the best of their ability.

We had a number of emails going back and forth about measurements and other issues, but I think it's pretty close the first shot.

Here's an album, starting with the inspiration shot I sent to BlackLapel, followed by shots of the whole tuxedo, then just the pants.

http://imgur.com/a/2hXjO

I have zero complaints about the pants.

My issues with the jacket are:
    Strange crease at the lapel at the top buttoning point

The jacket seems about an inch to an inch and a half too short.

General cut of jacket seems a bit boxy, could use a little more waist suppression, which could be achieved a lot more easily if the jacket was longer.

The buttoning point and thereby the gorge seems a bit high, especially in comparison to the shot of Hanks. This, too, would be easy to fix if the jacket were longer.

Lastly, the sleeves are a bit short. Half an inch maybe.

Would like some constructive criticism, I'm going to be emailing BlackLapel these images and would like to be as specific as possible about issues/things that would need to be changed. Given the amount of changes, I am assuming this would need to be a full remake. The shoulders and chest seem to fit great, which to me is generally the most difficult part.

Anyone have any comments/differences of opinion?

9. Per-Bjarne

Per-Bjarne New Member

I recently bought a blazer from Black Lapel, and I am very satisfied with both the quality and the sevice. I did not hit my measurements correctly right away, so the first blazer I got did not fit properly. When I contacted Black Lapel I got swift and very qualified help to mend the measurements, and I got a remake of the blazer with no extra cost. This time it was a perfect fit!

Their consierge sevice are swift and helpful, and the people working there have a very keen eye when it comes to questions of fit and style. I recommend Black Lapel to all who is looking foraffordable custom suits, blazers and shirts! I doubt you an get better quality and sevice anywere on the Internet.

10. oldcomma

oldcomma Active Member

So I got my suit from them! they definitely nailed the fitting. Couldn't be happier with it, considering i dont need alterations.Very pleased!!

i would however say, i am Not a fan of the fabric, has a slight shine and feels very light. I'd hoped for a slightly richer fabric and no shine.

That said I'll definitely order from them again, if i can find out which fabrics are a little better :)

i would say that reason i went with them initially over KS is that their customer service is excellent. I have been dealing with Hannah who has always been very prompt and thorough.