• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackbird HAZLEWOOD jeans?

coldforge

Reaction score
I am generally a real big fan of Blackbird's stock, and their taste in collaborations"”their boots from Alden are some of my favorites around. So I've been looking at their Hazlewood denim with interest but I haven't been able to find any testimonials anywhere on the internet.
55149_1.jpg

http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Blac...ean_16042.html

The look from the images is great and the price is reasonable. But does anyone have any experience with this jean, or with the other Blackbird-labelled jean (which I believe has a similar cut)? It is apparently some sort of unisex jean, which leads me to fear that it's not fitted as well as it could be. I'm also concerned about the rise. I'd really prefer a medium-rise jean.

Does anyone have any opinions on that item? And if it's not worth it, is there a better raw selvedge in the same $150-200 range I should be looking at?

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own both the Hazelwood and the Sunset Hotel (black waxed) from Blackbird. Great jeans. I won't wax eloquent about fit details because all I can say is they fit me. The Sunset Hotel feels and looks a little fuller. The Hazelwood fits snug and looks like a skinny jean even though I don't have a heroin chic build. I highly recommend both with the caveat that I have no idea how they might fit you.

coldforge

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear you like them. Frankly, if I didn't already have a pair of Levi's Hurricanes and a pair of Martins I'd be looking at the Sunset Hotel too, because I have a real thing for black waxed. That said, as for the Hazlewood, I've got two specific questions: a) how would you describe the rise, and b) how have the jeans faded?

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I previously said, I'm not going to try to describe fit. I have no idea if a specific pair of jeans will fit anyone but me.

I haven't had them long enough to start fading. They are in my regular rotation of 10-12 pair of jeans, so it will probably be a while.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been considering these for a couple weeks. I usually take a 33, but based on the measurements, a 34 would suit me better in the thighs and below. The vanity waist, sizing, though, makes me hesitant to go up.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Been considering these for a couple weeks. I usually take a 33, but based on the measurements, a 34 would suit me better in the thighs and below. The vanity waist, sizing, though, makes me hesitant to go up.

They are pretty clear in their recommendation to size down, so if you are hesitant, I suggest ordering true to size. I am a 36 in pretty much all denim and found a 36 in the Hazelwood to be perfect. They will feel tight at first, like most raw denim, but they stretch quickly to be comfortable.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Problem is the 33's have been sold out for a while. I got measurements from BB on the 32's and 34's. Based on the latter, I'm not sure TTS would have worked well for me in the thighs.

coldforge

Reaction score
Well, the above discussion was enough to push me over the edge and pay up for the pair"”especially once it was confirmed for me that their main competitor (in my small shortlist), the Tellason John Graham Mellors, was particularly low-rise"”so we'll see how they turn out. As mentioned, honestly, the already-demonstrated good taste of the Blackbird guys goes really far for me. So I ordered a pair of 29s"”I am a 30 trousers"”and I'm looking forward to them coming in. I will report back.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldforge
Well, the above discussion was enough to push me over the edge and pay up for the pair"”especially once it was confirmed for me that their main competitor (in my small shortlist), the Tellason John Graham Mellors, was particularly low-rise...

Funny you mention the Tellason. I picked up a pair of the JGM's a couple weeks ago to go with my Strummers.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Blackbird's raw Hazlewood jeans and thought I'd revive this thread.

The cut is very similar to APC New Standard (I wear 29 in APC NS and 30 in the Hazlewoods). Medium rise, slim leg. They fit me great.

I'm not a denim expert but I'd say it's a medium weight, fairly stiff denim. They're very dark and the indigo bleeds quite a bit, even after a wash. I have the version with Cone Mills denim.

The construction seems solid and the details are nice (bronze stitching, solid black hardware and leather patch, no arcuates). The price seems pretty reasonable and I like that they're made in the USA. The denim isn't selvage but I don't really care about that.

Overall, I'd say these are great jeans for the price ($145). I'm looking forward to seeing how they fade.

Last edited:

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... (Double post)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics