• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberrys

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would definitely be doable to use the new Curve 8900, but the Bold is just a bit bigger and I used it first. If it had never existed I'd be fine with the Curve.

flashback

Reaction score
its more than just "a bit" bigger, in terms of phones its significantly bigger. I have the 8900 and I took a bold and put them on top of one another, and the bold engulfs the 8900.

so far I'm loving the 8900. Nicer camera, better hardware, video capture, hot-swap Micro SD card, new OS, wifi & GPS... I don't really understand the hype with 3G. At least for someone like me who is almost always near a WiFi network anyway.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
its more than just "a bit" bigger, in terms of phones its significantly bigger. I have the 8900 and I took a bold and put them on top of one another, and the bold engulfs the 8900.

so far I'm loving the 8900. Nicer camera, better hardware, video capture, hot-swap Micro SD card, new OS, wifi & GPS... I don't really understand the hype with 3G. At least for someone like me who is almost always near a WiFi network anyway.

I agree with you. Although I did consider switching to the Bold, after comparing size and functionality, I realized that I should stick with what I have, especially since my contract has many months left on it.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Get the Bold. The Curve is last generation technology, unless you're talking about the 8900. But still, the Bold gets you on the 3G network, versus the 2G for the Curve 8900. The Storm is just plain annoying.

I am also contemplating 8900 v. Bold. I like T-mobile's rate plan and would like to stick with them, but am not sure how much of a disadvantage the lack of 3G would be. The 8900 is smaller and lighter than the Bold.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
I don't really understand the hype with 3G. At least for someone like me who is almost always near a WiFi network anyway.

Could be more marketing, as is frequently the case...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I am also contemplating 8900 v. Bold. I like T-mobile's rate plan and would like to stick with them, but am not sure how much of a disadvantage the lack of 3G would be. The 8900 is smaller and lighter than the Bold.
My understanding is that 3G is not available in all areas.

Standard Toaster

Reaction score
I upgraded to the storm, something I'm regretting every time that I use it.

Two faulty phones, and the one that works takes a good five seconds every time you want to load a new page/folder. It soon adds up.

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
I've had the Storm since the day it came out, I like it just fine. You just have to keep up to date with the leaked firmware, it blows using the software that it came with. I still like my 8730 the best out of all my Blackberrys and I've had almost every single model.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nahmeanz
I've had the Storm since the day it came out, I like it just fine. You just have to keep up to date with the leaked firmware, it blows using the software that it came with. I still like my 8730 the best out of all my Blackberrys and I've had almost every single model.

How does the 8900 compare with the iPhone? Does the former have a lot of the applications that the iPhone does?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
How does the 8900 compare with the iPhone? Does the former have a lot of the applications that the iPhone does?
I've never had an iphone, but my guess is that it's better than the 8900.

werthan

Reaction score
I have to admit, I love Blackberries. However, I have the Storm and despise it. It is not because of the typing or the slowness of the operating system (since I have updated it to the newest firmware release) - it is the fact that it takes so many clicks and slow menus to perform the simplest task. For example, to dial a number out of my contacts, I count 7 clicks.

1. Click on green button on bottom of phone to access dial screen.
2. Click on Contacts.
3. Click on "Find".
4. Click on two separate letters to get to contact.
5. Click on contact.
6. Click on pad to decide "Work" or "Cell".
7. Confirm that I want to call the number I am calling.

This is just one example. Please note that I make these comments because I do type quite a bit for work. If you do not type that much, this is the phone for you.

I am on Verizon because it is the best in my area. I intend to stay with Verizon, but will be getting the latest Curve (jupiter or whatever it is called) as soon as it is out.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by werthan
I have to admit, I love Blackberries. However, I have the Storm and despise it. It is not because of the typing or the slowness of the operating system (since I have updated it to the newest firmware release) - it is the fact that it takes so many clicks and slow menus to perform the simplest task. For example, to dial a number out of my contacts, I count 7 clicks.

1. Click on green button on bottom of phone to access dial screen.
2. Click on Contacts.
3. Click on "Find".
4. Click on two separate letters to get to contact.
5. Click on contact.
6. Click on pad to decide "Work" or "Cell".
7. Confirm that I want to call the number I am calling.

This is just one example. Please note that I make these comments because I do type quite a bit for work. If you do not type that much, this is the phone for you.

I am on Verizon because it is the best in my area. I intend to stay with Verizon, but will be getting the latest Curve (jupiter or whatever it is called) as soon as it is out.

I think the 8900 is the latest Curve and is called the Javelin.

&dr3w

Reaction score
i got the storm...not worth 300 bucks with update...
thats why i bought the dare phone...anywho
i'd get the bold...its actually really good, easy to text, good connection and NO TOUCH SCREEN!
(for those of you who dont like touch screen phones)

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an iphone since the release date and just switched to a Bold. I would never have another iphone again.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I had an iphone since the release date and just switched to a Bold. I would never have another iphone again.

I just got the 8900 and am returning the Bold. The 8900 is smaller, lighter and I find easier to type on. It's more practical, but am not sure how the lack of 3G will impact. You can't go wrong with either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads