• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberrys

singhstyle

Reaction score
My contract is up... What are the benefits of having the Blackberry World Edition 8830 vs the Curve or Storm? Either way, I am getting a Blackberry.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Bold. The Curve is last generation technology, unless you're talking about the 8900. But still, the Bold gets you on the 3G network, versus the 2G for the Curve 8900. The Storm is just plain annoying.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got the Bold and I like it a lot.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My contract isn't up for several more months but a friend who is an IT guy has urged me to switch to the Bold now. I probably won't, but his endorsement was very compelling. I currently have a Curve and have had different versions of Blackberries from the time it first arrived on the market.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just got a curve 8330 and love it. my first step into crack land and it looks like i'll be stuck here for good. i almost threw the storm across the room when i tried it out.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by singhstyle
My contract is up... What are the benefits of having the Blackberry World Edition 8830 vs the Curve or Storm? Either way, I am getting a Blackberry.

Be patient, there are some new Verizon Blackberries in the pipeline. Mainly the Niagra which is the CDMA version of the Bold. I would imagine that you want to stay with Verizon as they have the best network. The Bold is an excellent phone but AT&T's service will disappoint you if you are making the switch from Verizon. As far as phones that Verizon currently offers, I would go with a one year contract on the curve personally. The Storm is a cool looking phone but the nostalgia will wear off when trying to perform basic tasks and additionally the storm is very buggy.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
Be patient, there are some new Verizon Blackberries in the pipeline. Mainly the Niagra which is the CDMA version of the Bold. I would imagine that you want to stay with Verizon as they have the best network. The Bold is an excellent phone but AT&T's service will disappoint you if you are making the switch from Verizon. As far as phones that Verizon currently offers, I would go with a one year contract on the curve personally. The Storm is a cool looking phone but the nostalgia will wear off when trying to perform basic tasks and additionally the storm is very buggy.

The world edition (8830) really blows, no camera, poor keyboard. I have a 8330 and I love it. I have played with the Bold, and I dont really see what the upgrade is (unless you are on GSM w/3g). The phones are roughly the same size. I am running the new 4.5 OS, so functionality wise I am not losing anything over the bold/storm(4.6/4.7). Not only is the new niagara coming out, but so is the Kickstart (Flip).

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR_Rider

My service with Verizon wasn't nearly as good as it is with AT&T, but that just may be the area I am in...I can't recall the last time I have not had service.

singhstyle

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the World Edition (8830) because I am constantly outside of the States. I can just stick a sim card in and it functions fine. I thought it was pretty neat. Cannot get the Bold- I am Verizon and I dont want the curve because it seems like everyone has one. I kind of want to be my own person and unique... obviously. The Storm isnt even up for consideration anymore because Ive gotten over the whole touchscreen phase of my life and its just to make people squander away money on technology.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by singhstyle
I was thinking about getting the World Edition (8830) because I am constantly outside of the States. I can just stick a sim card in and it functions fine. I thought it was pretty neat. Cannot get the Bold- I am Verizon and I dont want the curve because it seems like everyone has one. I kind of want to be my own person and unique... obviously. The Storm isnt even up for consideration anymore because Ive gotten over the whole touchscreen phase of my life and its just to make people squander away money on technology.

I was going to mention that the Storm also has a slot for a sim card and can operate on a gsm network outside of the US. I have owned the 8830 WE and 8330 Curve and liked different things about each. As far as functionality I would say go with the curve. I liked the size, weight and keyboard on the 8830 but the 8330 also has the camera and video camera as you know. But the new Niagra is going to replace the 8830 World edition so I think that if you can hold it, that would be your best option. Just so you know you need to have the phone unlocked to accept a local SIM card because out of the box it will only recognize the included SIM card that Verizon includes. The thing about that SIM card is that the rates are exorbitant and you will be paying $3 to $4 per minute as opposed to a local SIM card which would be between $.20 and $.40 a minute.

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Get the Bold. The Curve is last generation technology, unless you're talking about the 8900. But still, the Bold gets you on the 3G network, versus the 2G for the Curve 8900. The Storm is just plain annoying.

Not to steal the thread, but does anyone have experience with the 8900?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Not to steal the thread, but does anyone have experience with the 8900?
It's what I have. It's okay.

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
I got the Blackberry Storm. It's really awesome, just takes some getting used to.

Once all the updates are released and there are more applications then it will be up to par with the iPhone.

Texting is the only negative of the Storm, its a little slow.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Storm is just an iPhone knock off without any of the app support and with a much lower quality display. The fit and finish is also subpar.

The new Curve 8900 is a great looking phone. I find it too small for me, I got one for my fiancee and I got a Bold for myself. I'm happy with it. I'd have been happier with the iPhone, but it would have causes problems with my dataplan.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
The new Curve 8900 is a great looking phone. I find it too small for me...
I like the small size, but I do wish for more speed and functionality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads