• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

    Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberrys

singhstyle

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
My contract is up... What are the benefits of having the Blackberry World Edition 8830 vs the Curve or Storm? Either way, I am getting a Blackberry.
 

DNW

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
9,976
Reaction score
6
Get the Bold. The Curve is last generation technology, unless you're talking about the 8900. But still, the Bold gets you on the 3G network, versus the 2G for the Curve 8900. The Storm is just plain annoying.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,297
Reaction score
439
My contract isn't up for several more months but a friend who is an IT guy has urged me to switch to the Bold now. I probably won't, but his endorsement was very compelling. I currently have a Curve and have had different versions of Blackberries from the time it first arrived on the market.
 

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
5,162
Reaction score
398
i just got a curve 8330 and love it. my first step into crack land and it looks like i'll be stuck here for good. i almost threw the storm across the room when i tried it out.
 

JR_Rider

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
174
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by singhstyle
My contract is up... What are the benefits of having the Blackberry World Edition 8830 vs the Curve or Storm? Either way, I am getting a Blackberry.

Be patient, there are some new Verizon Blackberries in the pipeline. Mainly the Niagra which is the CDMA version of the Bold. I would imagine that you want to stay with Verizon as they have the best network. The Bold is an excellent phone but AT&T's service will disappoint you if you are making the switch from Verizon. As far as phones that Verizon currently offers, I would go with a one year contract on the curve personally. The Storm is a cool looking phone but the nostalgia will wear off when trying to perform basic tasks and additionally the storm is very buggy.
 

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
1,617
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
Be patient, there are some new Verizon Blackberries in the pipeline. Mainly the Niagra which is the CDMA version of the Bold. I would imagine that you want to stay with Verizon as they have the best network. The Bold is an excellent phone but AT&T's service will disappoint you if you are making the switch from Verizon. As far as phones that Verizon currently offers, I would go with a one year contract on the curve personally. The Storm is a cool looking phone but the nostalgia will wear off when trying to perform basic tasks and additionally the storm is very buggy.

The world edition (8830) really blows, no camera, poor keyboard. I have a 8330 and I love it. I have played with the Bold, and I dont really see what the upgrade is (unless you are on GSM w/3g). The phones are roughly the same size. I am running the new 4.5 OS, so functionality wise I am not losing anything over the bold/storm(4.6/4.7). Not only is the new niagara coming out, but so is the Kickstart (Flip).
 

suited

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
7,642
Reaction score
3,562
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
Be patient, there are some new Verizon Blackberries in the pipeline. Mainly the Niagra which is the CDMA version of the Bold. I would imagine that you want to stay with Verizon as they have the best network. The Bold is an excellent phone but AT&T's service will disappoint you if you are making the switch from Verizon. As far as phones that Verizon currently offers, I would go with a one year contract on the curve personally. The Storm is a cool looking phone but the nostalgia will wear off when trying to perform basic tasks and additionally the storm is very buggy.

My service with Verizon wasn't nearly as good as it is with AT&T, but that just may be the area I am in...I can't recall the last time I have not had service.
 

singhstyle

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
I was thinking about getting the World Edition (8830) because I am constantly outside of the States. I can just stick a sim card in and it functions fine. I thought it was pretty neat. Cannot get the Bold- I am Verizon and I dont want the curve because it seems like everyone has one. I kind of want to be my own person and unique... obviously. The Storm isnt even up for consideration anymore because Ive gotten over the whole touchscreen phase of my life and its just to make people squander away money on technology.
 

JR_Rider

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
174
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by singhstyle
I was thinking about getting the World Edition (8830) because I am constantly outside of the States. I can just stick a sim card in and it functions fine. I thought it was pretty neat. Cannot get the Bold- I am Verizon and I dont want the curve because it seems like everyone has one. I kind of want to be my own person and unique... obviously. The Storm isnt even up for consideration anymore because Ive gotten over the whole touchscreen phase of my life and its just to make people squander away money on technology.

I was going to mention that the Storm also has a slot for a sim card and can operate on a gsm network outside of the US. I have owned the 8830 WE and 8330 Curve and liked different things about each. As far as functionality I would say go with the curve. I liked the size, weight and keyboard on the 8830 but the 8330 also has the camera and video camera as you know. But the new Niagra is going to replace the 8830 World edition so I think that if you can hold it, that would be your best option. Just so you know you need to have the phone unlocked to accept a local SIM card because out of the box it will only recognize the included SIM card that Verizon includes. The thing about that SIM card is that the rates are exorbitant and you will be paying $3 to $4 per minute as opposed to a local SIM card which would be between $.20 and $.40 a minute.
 

Mr T

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
858
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Get the Bold. The Curve is last generation technology, unless you're talking about the 8900. But still, the Bold gets you on the 3G network, versus the 2G for the Curve 8900. The Storm is just plain annoying.

Not to steal the thread, but does anyone have experience with the 8900?
 

Jayhawk1412

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
429
Reaction score
3
I got the Blackberry Storm. It's really awesome, just takes some getting used to.

Once all the updates are released and there are more applications then it will be up to par with the iPhone.

Texting is the only negative of the Storm, its a little slow.
 

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
29
The Storm is just an iPhone knock off without any of the app support and with a much lower quality display. The fit and finish is also subpar.

The new Curve 8900 is a great looking phone. I find it too small for me, I got one for my fiancee and I got a Bold for myself. I'm happy with it. I'd have been happier with the iPhone, but it would have causes problems with my dataplan.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,297
Reaction score
439
Originally Posted by LVoer
The new Curve 8900 is a great looking phone. I find it too small for me...
I like the small size, but I do wish for more speed and functionality.
 

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

  • Convenience

  • Curse


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
511,908
Messages
10,636,540
Members
225,776
Latest member
Sprayed
Top