• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberry/Wallet

lockey2k

Reaction score
How do people deal with the unslightly bulges from blackberries and wallets?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I carry a very small wallet - or a couple of them if I'm travelling for an extended period - so it's not a problem.

The Blackberry, on the other hand, is either in my right inside breast pocket, or what used to be known as the cigarette pocket that I've begun having put inside the lower left side of my jackets.

Neither is perfect. The weight in the cigarette pocket pulls down the entire coat unless it's a heavy cloth. And it's just large enough to bulge in the breast pocket.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blackberry/other PDA phone in left inside breast pocket, wallet in right inside breast pocket. In my experience, these are the pockets best able to cope with bulky items.

You will not lose the bulge completely but the following advice will reduce its visibility:

minimise how much you carry in your wallet
dark fabric
heavier cloth
tell/show your tailor what you carry regularly before the jacket is made. When you go for a fitting, place the items in the pockets to test them out and so adjustments can be made. A lot can be done, it seems to me. The difference between bespoke and RTW in this respect is noticeable IMO.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have your tailor make a pocket for the blackberry inside your jacket: this will ensure he adjusts the cut subtley.

For the wallet minimis the contents - it is not a filing cabinet then either one of your trouser back pockets - again have the tailor adjust size to suit you (depth in particualr) or else in an inside breast pocket - adjusted.

lockey2k

Reaction score
I was thinking of using a jacket wallet with money clip.

But that requires putting the bb somewhere else.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a longer wallet (not sure what the actual term is, it's not a billfold wallet) that I place in my inside jacket pocket. I keep the Blackberry in my briefcase or, in those situations when I must resort to other means, place the Blackberry in my pants pocket. I wear pleated pants, and I do not notice the BB when in my pants pocket. Other than my work ID, the BB would be the only thing in my pants pocket.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if i'm wearing a suit or something business casual, the blackberry will almost never be stored in my pockets. the bulge (esp. with the bberry holster) almost always looks unseemly.

if i'm carrying my work bag, it goes in there (a good 75-80% of the time). otherwise, i'll hand carry it around.

in non-business related situations, pockets.

-Jeff

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
if i'm wearing a suit or something business casual, the blackberry will almost never be stored in my pockets. the bulge (esp. with the bberry holster) almost always looks unseemly.

if i'm carrying my work bag, it goes in there (a good 75-80% of the time). otherwise, i'll hand carry it around.

in non-business related situations, pockets.

-Jeff

I stopped carrying a wallet and just fold my money and place my regularly used credit card and drivers license in betwen, in my rear pant pocket.

As much as possible I will try and not place anything in my jacket pockets, and usually carry them in my bag. Occassionally I will have to, so I will keep the CrackBerry in my inside jacket pocket, but I do feel the (uneven) weight. So when we get to the clients place or restaurant I immediately pull it out and place it on the table.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
I have a longer wallet (not sure what the actual term is, it's not a billfold wallet) that I place in my inside jacket pocket. I keep the Blackberry in my briefcase or, in those situations when I must resort to other means, place the Blackberry in my pants pocket. I wear pleated pants, and I do not notice the BB when in my pants pocket. Other than my work ID, the BB would be the only thing in my pants pocket.

Is this the general shape you are referring to?

http://www.cavenders.com/product.asp...heckbook+Cover

I know a lot of people who put stuff in their pant pockets. I just find this very uncomfortable, especially when you have something as heavy as blackberry. Just my very humble opinion.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like others, I've rejected the wallet. Just use a small credit card case (with DL, one credit card and my insurance card) and a money clip.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
Occassionally I will have to, so I will keep the CrackBerry in my inside jacket pocket, but I do feel the (uneven) weight.

Ha, that's too funny! In the grand scheme of things, a Blackberry is fairly light but it's amazing how it does make you feel a little off balance when it's stored in a pant or jacket pocket. I feel the same way.

-Jeff

lockey2k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I stopped carrying a wallet and just fold my money and place my regularly used credit card and drivers license in betwen, in my rear pant pocket.

As much as possible I will try and not place anything in my jacket pockets, and usually carry them in my bag. Occassionally I will have to, so I will keep the CrackBerry in my inside jacket pocket, but I do feel the (uneven) weight. So when we get to the clients place or restaurant I immediately pull it out and place it on the table.

I find pulling out the BB a bit rude. I always put it in my pocket and put it on vibrate.

But I'm thinking of getting a jacket wallet. Any one with experience with those?

I'd do the money clip, but I have too many things to keep track of.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
I find pulling out the BB a bit rude. I always put it in my pocket and put it on vibrate.

But I'm thinking of getting a jacket wallet. Any one with experience with those?

I'd do the money clip, but I have too many things to keep track of.

If you do it in a "I am trying to get rid of this discomfort, so that I can concentrate on you" manner it may not appear as rude.

I doubt you will feel a huge difference (especially as weight is concerned) with the jacket wallet if you will be carrying the same amount of stuff. There is some difference (as someone mentioned earlier) depending on the weight/thickness of the jacket itself.

I used to do a money clip, then just decided that I didn't need that either . . .

lockey2k

Reaction score
I think the jacket wallet is a bit different in terms of style, but maybe it's just me. I think the longer wallet looks a bit more sharp. Or it could be just a bit more foolish.

I think since most bills and receipts are not folded up but rather laid out, the thickness of a jacket wallet is less than that of a normal bi-fold.

I'm finding it a bit trouble some to strike the balance between functionality and form. For function, you can always go the batman utility belt; but style wise it makes me cringe.

Thoughts on using a jacket wallet and just sticking it into a deep front pocket. I tried it out today at the store and it seemed to give a flatter front than a normal wallet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads