• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberry Question

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I realize this is not an electronic's discussion board, but as international professionals, I figured many people on here would know. If I get a Blackberry here in the U.S., can I travel to say Europe or Asia, buy a pay-as-you-go sim card there, and just pop it in my Blackberry to use while I am there? How about with a Treo? Can I do that?

I can't seem to find the info. on the internet (guess I am not really sure how to search for it).

Also, what do you prefer: Blackberry or Treo?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
I realize this is not an electronic's discussion board, but as international professionals, I figured many people on here would know. If I get a Blackberry here in the U.S., can I travel to say Europe or Asia, buy a pay-as-you-go sim card there, and just pop it in my Blackberry to use while I am there? How about with a Treo? Can I do that?

I can't seem to find the info. on the internet (guess I am not really sure how to search for it).

Also, what do you prefer: Blackberry or Treo?

Not sure regarding the Blackberry issue, but have you considered SYmbian? EIther Series 80 or even Series 60? The largest percentage of smartphones worldwide run that OS which would make your life considerable easier. But I am biased as I own a Nokia 6630 which runs Series 60...
Anyway, the whole issue with the Blackberry will centre around three things:

a) Unlocked?
b) GSM/CDMA/etc?
c) If above is GSM, MHz band used?

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the advice; the only problem is I only have a choice between Blackberry and Treo (it is a company phone)
confused.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the advice; the only problem is I only have a choice between Blackberry and Treo (it is a company phone)
confused.gif

Ok, then find out first of all what network it needs to use, GSM, CDMA,TDMA et.c. Or if you find the exact model you may be able to work it out. The most options would be with quad-band GSM. 3G would be nice, EDGE, et.c. but not necessary. In Japan and Korea, networks are different, in the USA you find everything pretty much, including different varieties on the same general GSM band (850 vs 900) as well as older standards like CDMA et al. Here is an excellent resource on GSM bands used internationally: http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Well, I know that with T-Mobile, the new Blackberry 8700 will work in most every country; it tells you how it will work in each country/rates, etc. The problem is though, that it is a work phone, but sometimes I go on personal vacation to Japan/Ireland mostly and I am not going to charge it to my company account, so I would like to buy a prepaid simcard while I am there. That is why I am curious to know if I can just put it in my phone, whether it will work or not?

Maybe it is a stupid or obvious question, or you might have already answered it, but unfortunately, I don't know crap about phones......
lookaround.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Blackberries are yummy.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
^^ Does it have Bluetooth?

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have used my Blackberry through Cingular throughout Europe, had no problems with receiving or sending Email or phone calls, and this has been in the last 6 months.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I know that with T-Mobile, the new Blackberry 8700 will work in most every country; it tells you how it will work in each country/rates, etc. The problem is though, that it is a work phone, but sometimes I go on personal vacation to Japan/Ireland mostly and I am not going to charge it to my company account, so I would like to buy a prepaid simcard while I am there. That is why I am curious to know if I can just put it in my phone, whether it will work or not?

Maybe it is a stupid or obvious question, or you might have already answered it, but unfortunately, I don't know crap about phones......
lookaround.gif

Just get it unlocked.Must be a way, either through T-Mobile or with 3rd party software. You could call them and tell them you are going overseas where there is no T-mo coverage and wouldlike to get it unlocked to use a different SIM. They unlocked my Ericsson T310 for me when I first got T-Mo. If not there are probably softs that will do that for you. Unless your Blackberry is NOT tied to T-Mobile. Then you would be ok.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally the problem is with the prepaid SIM which often will not offer the service.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Generally the problem is with the prepaid SIM which often will not offer the service.

You mean the Push-email? Good point; I was only approaching it as a smartphone/pda/phone issue...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads