1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Blackberry Playbook

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by AR_Six, Mar 22, 2011.

1. the shah

the shah Senior member

this is terrible, the PlayBook will lack native email, calendar, contacts, etc ... if it was said already in this thread it needs to be said again. it isn't a blackberry without those [​IMG] also, the curb episode should be enough to summarize why bluetooth headsets are an abomination

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Because it makes things awkward when you start talking back to them and then you see the earpiece.

Plus the types of people that walk aroudn with headsets on in public just look like retards.

3. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Always liked Blackberry products. Wanted a smaller footprint than the iPad2. Wanted a retina screen meaning a wait 'till next September or even January for iPad3, and even then, they may not use one if the battery life cannot be improved.

Picked one up at Future Shop. $580 tax in.

'The first professional-grade tablet'.

The Good:

Great screen. Great OS. Great form factor/size. Word on the Go.

The Bad:

Not as fast at BB would suggest. Browser fonts not slick.

The Ugly:

Here we go. (Many) Wifi dropouts. Battery problems. And, worse of all, a frigging joke of an app store.

I wanted to like it. Love the form and design. I wish it would have worked. It is NOT ready for prime time. BB 'rushed' it out, which just goes to show how far ahead Apple is in vison and delivery.

How can a device like this not have a dedicated GMail, Netflix, and Twitter app? The Facebook app was okay, but the app store was filled (supposed to be 4K at release, more like 300) was absolute crap. They should have paid inhouse for 20/30 killer social media/utility/biz apps to get the party started. They didn't.

I think Android have a shot at taking on Apple, but after a while with the BP, I tried my wife's iPad. There's no comparison with ease of use and productivity. If Apple made the Playbook, I'd buy it in a second. Guess the wait will have to continue to iPad3. In the here and now, I may buy a 2 whenever they come in. Still MIA.

Wish I had better news. Apple/iTunes and its ecosystem have such a huge lead, not sure if anything can catch them. What was IBM's motto? 'Think'. BB, take note.

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I am a Blackberry fan (although the new 6.0 OS on my Bold 9700 is terrible), but I will not be buying a Playbook after reading all of the information about it.

I'm also not an Apple fan, so I'll just have to wait and see who comes up with the best tablet eventually. Quite a few should be hitting the market soon, so I think the competition will get better.

As for phone capabilities, heck yes I want this. Even if it looks obnoxious now, I think the future will see most people using a tablet combined with a bluetooth headset to make calls.

5. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Always liked Blackberry products. Wanted a smaller footprint than the iPad2. Wanted a retina screen meaning a wait 'till next September or even January for iPad3, and even then, they may not use one if the battery life cannot be improved.

Picked one up at Future Shop. $580 tax in.

'The first professional-grade tablet'.

The Good:

Great screen. Great OS. Great form factor/size. Word on the Go.

The Bad:

Not as fast at BB would suggest. Browser fonts not slick.

The Ugly:

Here we go. (Many) Wifi dropouts. Battery problems. And, worse of all, a frigging joke of an app store.

I wanted to like it. Love the form and design. I wish it would have worked. It is NOT ready for prime time. BB 'rushed' it out, which just goes to show how far ahead Apple is in vison and delivery.

How can a device like this not have a dedicated GMail, Netflix, and Twitter app? The Facebook app was okay, but the app store was filled (supposed to be 4K at release, more like 300) was absolute crap. They should have paid inhouse for 20/30 killer social media/utility/biz apps to get the party started. They didn't.

I think Android have a shot at taking on Apple, but after a while with the BP, I tried my wife's iPad. There's no comparison with ease of use and productivity. If Apple made the Playbook, I'd buy it in a second. Guess the wait will have to continue to iPad3. In the here and now, I may buy a 2 whenever they come in. Still MIA.

Wish I had better news. Apple/iTunes and its ecosystem have such a huge lead, not sure if anything can catch them. What was IBM's motto? 'Think'. BB, take note.

I don't fundamentally disagree, as your experience pretty much squares with mine (not had problems with the battery, though). Having never used an iPad, I cannot comment on the "ease of use" comparison. I do think the screen is brilliant, and the blackberry bridge function I find useful for reading/editing attachments, something I always found irritating on the tiny BB Bold screen.

I remain hopeful that the regular software updates will continue to improve performance. Also curious about the intended Android "window" to allow use of Adroid apps. I will admit that I don't really "get" apps, since I generally use the browser 99% of the time.

If the thing continues to be crappy, I will ditch it on my kids and pick up the iPad3, though it would take some getting used to browsing without "Flash" compatibility. [​IMG]

I am a Blackberry fan (although the new 6.0 OS on my Bold 9700 is terrible), but I will not be buying a Playbook after reading all of the information about it.

I'm also not an Apple fan, so I'll just have to wait and see who comes up with the best tablet eventually. Quite a few should be hitting the market soon, so I think the competition will get better.

As for phone capabilities, heck yes I want this. Even if it looks obnoxious now, I think the future will see most people using a tablet combined with a bluetooth headset to make calls.

I don't need it as a phone, so I am not sure that this would make much of a difference for me. I frankly dislike the bluetooth "ear-fish" idea, but it may be that I will have to come around to it eventually ... [​IMG]

6. audiophilia

I called BB today and they were very pleasant and understanding. We exchanged. I'll see if the wifi is better on this one. If so, the wonderful form factor, screen an OS will assuage my wrath about the apps and browser functionality until updates arrive. We'll see.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

wow

8. audiophilia

Not surprised. A dud in so many ways. But, if the problems are fixed and they get an app or three, it has huge potential. Of course, by that time, it'll be dead, killed by Honeycomb 3.1 and the latest iOS for iPad3.

Sad for RIM. They took an early shot and lost.

9. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

Goes on sale, at least here, on April 19. Thoughts? It is a slightly different target than the Ipad, having a 7" screen (though with better resolution ppi-wise than the ipads). The 16gb is 499, 599 for 32gb, 699 for 64gb. Wifi out, video calling, nice design. Reactions?

[​IMG]

For me, I will say it now: I am buying one. I use a blackberry for work and this is simply going to be much more functional for me than an ipad. However, I will NOT buy one until it has independent cellular connectivity - which is supposed to be released later this year. At that point, the playbook will probably utterly obsolete my traditional blackberry and I will rely on it exclusively. I want to handle one in person to determine whether it will also obsolete my wish for an ipad (which I want to own primarily because it would be a lighter version of the income tax act).

so you're going to holding a pad to make phone calls?

thanks for reminding us of the 80's...

[​IMG]

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

so you're going to holding a pad to make phone calls?

thanks for reminding us of the 80's...

[​IMG]

Surely not, I think one can use a Bluetooth headset.
    [​IMG]

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Surely not, I think one can use a Bluetooth headset.
    [​IMG]

Research in Motion: Resistance is Futile?

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I hope the torch2 is really good. I'd really like to get rid of my iphone and only have to carry one phone.

13. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Only LOSERS buy a non-iPad tablet.

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Only LOSERS buy a non-iPad tablet.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ Please don't feed the troll/fanboi.

15. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

^^^^^^^^^^
    Please don't feed the troll/fanboi.

i'll feed it the iPad and iPhone 3G lol....

16. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

well, this awful idea has finally been put out to pasture. RIMM is going to stop making the Playbook, best buy is now selling them at $200 discount, soon to be a $300-400 discount.

17. JohnEnglish

JohnEnglish Member

No they're not. RIM has denied the rumors in several locations.

The rumor was started by a chip analyst (not even a consumer products analyst) and he was basing his rumor of off semiconductor production from one of RIM's suppliers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  18. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

what else are they going to say? they thing is being discounted by $200 at Best Buy, that's not a confirmation but it sure does not look good. Either way, the signs are there that this thing is dead man walking.

19. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

RIM is looking more and more like a company who had one great idea and then quickly found itself in above its head against better competitors.

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

TBH I think manufacturers are having a hard time selling tablets unless they're Android based or iPads. The JooJoo has gone, so has HP's WebOS Touchpad, Nokia had a go as well. Seems that RIM is having difficulties now with its QNX Playbook. Windows tablets never really caught on either.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011