1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Blackberry Playbook

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by AR_Six, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Maybe someone should tell RIM's marketing department that the Playbook tablet is better designed for corporate and enterprise use.

http://us.blackberry.com/ The Blackberry front page as it appears at the moment. 'It's game on', 'awesome web, gaming, video experience'. The screen shows the thing playing a racing game. A direct link for consumers to buy the thing from Best Buy. Even the name 'Playbook' sounds like the Sony games consoles, as someone else has already pointed out.

Seems to me that RIM is heavily marketing the Playbook as a consumer, gaming and entertainment device, to go head-to-head with things like the iPad, Galaxy Tab, Sony PSP and Nintendo DS(whatever). Its dependance on another Blackberry device and Blackberry subscription makes it a complete fail for consumer web, e-mail, gaming and entertainment purposes.

Thats because corporate customers already know/use/like blackberry. A Businessman spends his entire day looking at something and considering how he can use it to his advantage. He knows that the Playbook does and how it will help.

A consumer on the other hand needs to be spoon fed information, and convincing why he should by this when all his friends have an iPad.

As a result the Ad budget goes to converting consumer users who might want it, because business users are already going to buy it regardless of advertising.

2. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Thats because corporate customers already know/use/like blackberry. A Businessman spends his entire day looking at something and considering how he can use it to his advantage. He knows that the Playbook does and how it will help.

A consumer on the other hand needs to be spoon fed information, and convincing why he should by this when all his friends have an iPad.

As a result the Ad budget goes to converting consumer users who might want it, because business users are already going to buy it regardless of advertising.

Exactly. People here act as if the guys at RIM are complete retards who haven't thought through their strategy.

3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Exactly. People here act as if the guys at RIM are complete retards who haven't thought through their strategy.

Sometimes I wonder though....

4. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Given how useless this first generation is to me, and the fact that they've already said "we'll put phone capability in later", I am not sure they're not. Why would you undercut this launch by making it a 2 stage process where the real deal drops later in the year.

5. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

My father is buying 10 for his staff to use as presentation devices. They don't need Phone capability or anything more than a few basics really. I would assume that many people are in this boat.

They might sell 500 000 units in the first 6 months. By the time they release stage two a significant portion of those people will upgrade because (1) they realised the basic one wasn't good enough or (2) Their social/economic status tells them that they need the newest version of any device they own.

They've essentially said "Hey, want a product 6 months early and are dumb enough to pay for it? Hand over the cash. In 6 months time we'll bring out a "full fat" product that you'll buy anyway!"

6. the shah

the shah Senior member

almost every company does that, others just aren't dumb enough to say so publicly.

7. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

It just seems to me like it steals a lot of their thunder to do it this way.

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Sometimes I wonder though....
    I wonder as well. RIM are selling these devices to the ordinary consumer. The scenario is consumer buys it from Best Buy, RadioShack, PC World or whatever, takes it home, finds out it can't do email etc, without another Blackberry device and subscription. Playbook is promptly returned for a refund or exchanged for another tablet without such restrictions. BTW if I actually wanted a tablet. The Playbook not even an option for me, as China Unicom's Blackberry service is extremely expensive and subject to a long contract. The iPad or Galaxy Tab on the other hand are.

9. the shah

the shah Senior member

It just seems to me like it steals a lot of their thunder to do it this way.

don't worry, the blackberry storm 3 is coming [​IMG]

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Why wouldn't you want phone capability on this? All you'd have to do is pair it with a bluetooth headset and you could leave it on the table to surf the web while you made calls with it. Seems like a win-win.

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Why wouldn't you want phone capability on this? All you'd have to do is pair it with a bluetooth headset and you could leave it on the table to surf the web while you made calls with it. Seems like a win-win.
    Because people that use bluetooth headsets in public are assholes.

12. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

For the first time in a long time, I find myself in complete agreement with you. [​IMG]

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

For the first time in a long time, I find myself in complete agreement with you. [​IMG]

Heh... Here you go:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Etiquitte and functionality are two completely different things. I don't like public bluetooth users either but if you were sitting at home surfing the web and a call came in, why the hell not?

15. the shah

the shah Senior member

who is even arguing against phone capability ?

16. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I don't need it to be a phone. I am not sure that I would even use it as one were it possible.

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

this^^.
    but it should still have the functionality.

18. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Etiquitte and functionality are two completely different things. I don't like public bluetooth users either but if you were sitting at home surfing the web and a call came in, why the hell not?
    that's why i said in public. If you're in your car, a private office or your own house, what do I care?

19. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Heh... Here you go:
    It's awesome that it's Ari Gold. I don't really see a lot of people using bluetooth headsets but I really don't give a fuck, honestly. I don't see why it's annoying, what's the difference between holding a phone up to your ear and talking in public vs. not holding a phone up to your ear and talking in public.
    who is even arguing against phone capability ?
    A couple of people on the first page, ie "you don't want to make calls on that thing", Dis referenced some dude with a galaxy tab...

20. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

It's awesome that it's Ari Gold. I don't really see a lot of people using bluetooth headsets but I really don't give a fuck, honestly. I don't see why it's annoying, what's the difference between holding a phone up to your ear and talking in public vs. not holding a phone up to your ear and talking in public.

Because it makes things awkward when you start talking back to them and then you see the earpiece.