• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberry Playbook

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
As ridiculous as this might sound, I've heard rumours that you don't have a native email or calendar functionality on the playbook. Instead, you have to sync it with your existing blackberry.
I believe you can have a native calendar function or sync to your Blackberry calendar. As for email, well it has wifi, so you can get email and I don't see why there wouldn't be an app for it on there. My issue with this first gen is that you can't use it to get email the way I do on my blackberry currently - sync'd to my outlook inbox through BES.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
I believe you can have a native calendar function or sync to your Blackberry calendar. As for email, well it has wifi, so you can get email and I don't see why there wouldn't be an app for it on there. My issue with this first gen is that you can't use it to get email the way I do on my blackberry currently - sync'd to my outlook inbox through BES.

your bberry has to be tethered to it to send an email.

Also:

You don't get an email app or a calendar on the PlayBook directly; instead you link it to a BlackBerry using RIM's Bridge software. Launch the Bridge app on a BlackBerry, and your mail, calendar and BlackBerry Messenger conversations appear on the tablet via Bluetooth in a new BlackBerry tab next to the usual All, Internet, Media and Games tabs. While the version we saw at CES was most definitely an early beta, it worked well, with a clear view of current conversations, and your entire buddy list. Messages are threaded, taking advantage of the PlayBook's 7" screen to show you a set of speech bubbles. The email and calendar interfaces are also clear and simple. You can only link to one BlackBerry at a time, but you can pair one PlayBook with multiple BlackBerrys - so you can share with the rest of the family. You can pair your BlackBerry to multiple PlayBooks (again, only one at a time though). And - carrier permitting - if you don't have a 4G PlayBook you'll be able to use your BlackBerry as a modem if you're not on Wi-Fi.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That makes it a fail vs a standalone device for any user! Unless you are a Berry user, no bueno!

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it had promise until i read that article.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
it had promise until i read that article.

exactly! so you still have to carry your blackberry everywhere you go! i will pass!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Apparently the OS RIM bought for this thing blows BB's current phone OS out of the water..
This isn't exactly a glowing recommendation. My BB has turned into the buggiest, crashing-est ******* piece of bullshit crap I've ever owned. Kinda like saying constipation is better than Hershey Squirts.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wont be getting one. Tablet devices are of no use to me as I already have a Linux netbook. So I won't be getting the Playbook or iPad or Galaxy Tab.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don't see the appeal of tablets, personally, except maybe as a glorified home theater remote and a pure web browser. Personally, if absolutely love my 12.1" thinkpad x series notebook. It's 3lbs, and i can sit with it in bed for hours and it doesn't get hot. I can read my email and RESPOND to email. I can type on a full keyboard without having to change positions. Since the base rests on my lap, i don't need to use my hands to constantly hold the (reflective) screen at the right angle. I can carry the thing around without really noticing it. (I used to hate my 5 lbs notebook though). It's ******* FAST. I can run any program i want on it and do real work.

I have an iphone, a blackberry, a 13" tablet notebook pc, the 12.1" thinkpad x series, and a kindle. I wouldn't ever carry anything bigger than an iphone on a daily basis. Sometimes i carry my x series. I always carry my kindle. I wouldn't have a real use for a tablet. You can't even use SF well with a tablet.

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
dude, you don't want to make calls on that ******. I was at the movies the other night, saw a twink making a call on his Galaxy Tab... just about the single dorkiest thing I've ever seen in my life. To me, the tablets aren't particularly hard-working or functional beyond laying in bed or lounging around and watching TV or videos, checking my facebook or SF once in awhile, but a good smart phone has been immensely useful. I'd never try to combine them, one at 3.5" and one at 7"+ (I'd rather the iPad at 10" though) is the right split IMO.

That made me laugh out loud. I haven't heard that in a while.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I was watching one of my staff work off her iPad the other day with slight gadget envy.

I saw this thread. I thought 'cooool' - reason being BB push email can only run with one telco in VN, and I'm not with them - and there is no number portability either.

Then...I read further - with no BB style push email on this, it's useless to me. Bastards.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Played around with this earlier in the week - its a very cool device and will give the iPad a run for its money. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off. Much much nicer than the Xoom or the Galaxy.

RIM will solve the BB tethering issues in the next version (or so they say).

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Played around with this earlier in the week - its a very cool device and will give the iPad a run for its money. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off. Much much nicer than the Xoom or the Galaxy. RIM will solve the BB tethering issues in the next version (or so they say).
From what I've read about the Playbook, one needs a Blackberry phone with Blackberry service to send and receive emails with the thing. RIM had better fix this in the next version or whatever, otherwise it's not going to be giving anything a run for its money.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
From what I've read about the Playbook, one needs a Blackberry phone with Blackberry service to send and receive emails with the thing. RIM had better fix this in the next version or whatever, otherwise it's not going to be giving anything a run for its money.

yep..that is what has been discussed on the last 2 pages....but thanks.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I was watching one of my staff work off her iPad the other day with slight gadget envy.

I saw this thread. I thought 'cooool' - reason being BB push email can only run with one telco in VN, and I'm not with them - and there is no number portability either.

Then...I read further - with no BB style push email on this, it's useless to me. Bastards.

google voice number portability

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads