• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberry Carrying Case?

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
I hate carrying the darned thing on me, I find it is so annoying to have it in your jacket or on your belt. . . .

But it is so darned usefull . . . .

btw, I hate wallets too . . . it too rides alongside the blackberry . . . . in my bag . . .

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I hate carrying the darned thing on me, I find it is so annoying to have it in your jacket or on your belt. . . .

But it is so darned usefull . . . .

btw, I hate wallets too . . . it too rides alongside the blackberry . . . . in my bag . . .

+1 to all of the above. Sometimes I really wish I could carry a purse.

Let's never speak of this post again.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just lock the keyboard and leave it in my pants pocket.

i have a cheap one ($100, through t-mobile), so i just want it to last at least a year and preferrably at least two years. so far, 6 months in, its fine.

no bags or carrying cases. those are pointless.

lockey2k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
+1 to all of the above. Sometimes I really wish I could carry a purse.

Let's never speak of this post again.

I do carry a messenger bag, but you can't hear/feel when e-mails come in. These days I carry the blackberry in my inside coat pocket or in my pants pocket. But keys and coins can scratch the screen so need a case
frown.gif

Also if I have to carry these things, I'm going to carry them stylishly! Considering the pervasiveness of the blackberry, I'm surpised that luxury labels have not made carrying cases for them. Maybe its just more fashionable to make cases of ipods. hehe

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
Also if I have to carry these things, I'm going to carry them stylishly! Considering the pervasiveness of the blackberry, I'm surpised that luxury labels have not made carrying cases for them.

Dunhill maybe?

Rolo

Reaction score
Depending on your model, you might find something at www.vajacases.com or www.pielframa.net.

I'd give some thought to switching to the Blackberry Pearl which is small enough to stick into you jacket or pants pocket.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
I'd give some thought to switching to the Blackberry Pearl which is small enough to stick into you jacket or pants pocket.

I guess its about choosing your poison . . . with the pearl you would have to type emails like text messages, 2 or 3 letter keys? That would really bug the hell outta me . . . .

pkincy

Reaction score
I have a tan belting leather case I picked up at an airport made for my 7120.

Perry

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I guess its about choosing your poison . . . with the pearl you would have to type emails like text messages, 2 or 3 letter keys? That would really bug the hell outta me . . . .

The predictive text input software Blackberry uses is way better than most cell phone software in terms of guessing which letter you wanted from the number pressed. It has a very large vocabulary. I tried it at a store and was impressed. It even picked up "****" and "****" in four keystrokes each with no need for corrections.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
The predictive text input software Blackberry uses is way better than most cell phone software in terms of guessing which letter you wanted from the number pressed. It has a very large vocabulary. I tried it at a store and was impressed. It even picked up "****" and "****" in four keystrokes each with no need for corrections.

I was hesitant when I first got a BB 7100 which, like the Pearl, has the SureType keyboard (2 keys per button). Soon I found that I was able to type faster on this than I was on my old Treo. You don't have to double tap the keys (unless you want to) like you have to when texting from a standard phone. There is predictative software that guesses what word you're typing and, as retronotmetro indicates, it's pretty solid. Moreover, it's adaptive, so it learns what YOU mean when you tap certain key combinations.

My Pearl has a smaller keyboard than the 7100, but I'm having no problem with it. I find that the smaller form factor (about the size of a razr) greatly outweighs the problems associated with it. I also love the voice dialing which allows access to my entire list of Outlook contacts with no training.

If you live on your BlackBerry or have big hands, the Pearl is probably not for you. But I, for one, am not going back to a clunky smartphone.

Rolo

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
I do carry a messenger bag, but you can't hear/feel when e-mails come in.

Let go, my friend, let go.

I had a blackberry phone for a year and hated it. If you tap out a lot of emails it's really useless. I have a full keyboard now and I type 2-3 times faster than on the phone, mostly because I don't have to monitor the screen while typing to make sure that it predicts correctly. I'm a lot more predictive than it is. I also prefer to keep the phone (personal) separate from the crackberry (carried only when I know people are looking for me).

scot

Reaction score
Then there are those of us who like to work from wherever, say home depot running some errands, and not have anyone be the wiser. Letting go sounds great, but at the end of the week having to go into the office every day would drive me nuts. If you use your BB correctly, you will find that your life is much much more open and less constricted. Just learn how to not answer emails at dinner when your girlfriend/wife/husband/kids/parents/friends are trying to have a conversation with you. I'm still working on that one
smile.gif
I do have a full qwerty kb (8703) but have used just about every bb and treo out there. Suretype on a bb is great, and works rather well compared to t9/tegic but the qwerty is the best for people who need to write lots of email. As for cases, I just use the stock plastic cases. I know they don't look great, but they hold the device rather well and have the magnets in the proper location There are leather versions but they aren't really that "nice." If I am wearing a suit, normally I just put the device in a suit pocket. If I am wearing a shirt with a pocket, sometimes I will put it in there. Otherwise I just lock the kb and throw it in my pocket if for some reason I don't want anyone to see it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics