• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberry 10

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OOh, you have the Z10? How do you like it?

I'm really considering switching to it when it comes out.. but I feel 'stuck' with apple because of the ecosystem. It's great that apple has made their platform so sticky and up until now, people kept buying more apple products because they all play together nicely.. it was a good type of 'stickiness,' if you will.

The tune's changed though, as I feel resentful towards it now. I feel trapped. And I hope that's not a sentiment most Apple users begin to develop, but I fear that will happen.

Well, my previous mobile was dead because it had battery issues so I was going to wait for the Q10 - alas five minute talk time and the battery going after six text messages even with vibrate turned off made me switch. I had used a PlayBook before so the gesture thing wasn't that revolutionary to me but it's pretty quick - does what I expect it to - make calls, message, BBM, e-mail. The keyboard takes awhile to get better but I have a good handle for it now. There are definitely a bunch of applications people will want that are missing (Netflix, Instagram, WhatsApp, Skype) - probably the only one I use is Kindle. The Hub thing works for me because my contacts are scattered across LinkedIn, Facebook, and BBM, but as nootje pointed out it's been in various flavours of BlackBerry - it's just more refined now. I have a 9700 too from work.

I had the original iPod Touch and a slew of iOS items so I know what you're talking about. I guess the best thing about BB10 is I don't have the issue with my iPad where I don't know what the hell is running. I think of Apple like AOL (I don't know if people can remember that) - if you use it, and everything you have is Apple, you're fine. If you start mixing and matching, then it's not really for you. I dumped a bunch of MKVs for my Z10 and it plays out of the box similar to Android. Every time I do that for Apple iOS, I have to do a bunch of conversions.

Brossian Wingor

Reaction score
Not really sure what BlackBerry is trying to pull, I ain't never buying their phones. Rather pick up an iPhone or a Android phone any day of the week. BlackBerry and their second rate phones have their days numbered.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Checked out the Z10 at a local AT&T store.

It's a sleek device and all, but I can see how it can be very, very confusing for the average user to figure out how to use on their own.

BB is doing a piss poor job at marketing this phone and they're not getting very much carrier support.. it's sad.

If I were BB, I'd be spending hundreds of millions on marketing.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was reading about the marketing issue a few days back. It appears cell phone marketing is a bit of a beast here in the U.S. The phone company can (and does) do direct marketing. But the cell phone store must do some as well (and this is totally up to them). It appears AT&T has made a decision not to invest much in selling the phone nore even put much effort in advertizements and placement of the phone in stores. I walked into an AT&T store near my office a few hours back and the Z10 was in a back corner. No branding or signage to indicate it was even available. I believe the same thing happened with the Nokia 920 when it first came out (though the placement was great at the store). In this case, Blackberry is hurting themselves by not getting more aggressive in marketing the phone. They should strive for everyone (even those with no interest in purchasing it) to be talking about it. Ah well.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but isn't MS still providing an additional kick-back to sales reps who push WP? If that's still going on it indicates the biggest problem BB has. They simply don't have pockets deep enough to compete with the likes of MS at this point in the game.

It will be interesting to see if they can carve out a big enough market to maintain themselves if they get regulated to 4th place.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was reading about the marketing issue a few days back. It appears cell phone marketing is a bit of a beast here in the U.S. The phone company can (and does) do direct marketing. But the cell phone store must do some as well (and this is totally up to them). It appears AT&T has made a decision not to invest much in selling the phone nore even put much effort in advertizements and placement of the phone in stores. I walked into an AT&T store near my office a few hours back and the Z10 was in a back corner. No branding or signage to indicate it was even available. I believe the same thing happened with the Nokia 920 when it first came out (though the placement was great at the store). In this case, Blackberry is hurting themselves by not getting more aggressive in marketing the phone. They should strive for everyone (even those with no interest in purchasing it) to be talking about it. Ah well.

Blackberry never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity

xpress

Reaction score
Not reading this thread....
However, having used a Lumia 920, Motorola Razr HD (my favorite), and my trusty iPhone 5 (terrible battery life) over the last 6 months...

My Blackberry Q10 is horrible.

Cons
- I'm on my third software refresh.
- The lack of applications is seriously an issue (I don't care if you "use" apps or not, this is a big one)
- BBM Video only works on a 3+bar LTE network
- inability to search previous messages in web-based mail servers (yahoo, gmail, hotmail) ... I mean, are you serious Blackberry???

Pros
- battery life is on par with the Motorola Razr HD, which is to say you will get more than a day. It's great.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've still yet to see a Blackberry 10 in a store, let alone see anyone actually using one..... Plenty of Androids, Plenty of iPhones...Not much sign of Windows Phone yet either.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see some Windows Phone handsets. Not many, but some. Never a BB10 device.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads