• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberries, Verizon and cutting costs...

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I currently have Verizon Wireless, no real qualms to speak of minus the usual quibbles anyone has with their cell service provider. I have a "dumb" phone (LG Versa) and it has been great; however I wish the Internet browser was a little better, had a full QWERTY keyboard and calendar/to-do list that synced with my Google Calendar. I am paying around $65-70/month on my share of my brother's group plan depending on my e-mail and Internet usage.

The prepaid company Boost Mobile recently released a CDMA version of the Blackberry Curve 8330 with unlimited everything (minutes, texting, Internet, e-mail, GPS, etc) for $60.

From a pure economics point of view the choice is simple: Blackberry with Everything for one predictable monthly cost versus my dumb phone that I am pushing to its limits (in terms of Internet, calendar, and e-mail usage) for $65-70.

Opinions? Anyone have any experience with Sprint (Boost is a subsidiary of Sprint) or Boost Mobile? I am on the fence and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chart showing costs and whatnot:
http://plans.boostmobile.com/blackberry.aspx

The phone itself:
http://www.boostmobilestore.com/bpdi...o?action=view#

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stick with Verizon! Come up with a few more bucks and get a Berry on a Verizon plan!

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait wat? that sounds too good to be true, I was paying like $95 a month for an equivalent Verizon plan.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd jump on the boost mobile bandwagon if the ******* phones didn't cost so much.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
wait wat? that sounds too good to be true, I was paying like $95 a month for an equivalent Verizon plan.

yeah, i thought the same thing! sprint service is pretty good in my area (although nothing compared to Verizon) but the savings might be worth it...

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^this is the catch:

Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I'd jump on the boost mobile bandwagon if the ******* phones didn't cost so much.

apparently the phones are like $250. I got mine for $50 from Verizon and I think you can do it even cheaper now.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
that is true, it is clearly the unsubsidized price. however, over a year or two (the normal cell contract time) the savings would make up for it. and the increase in features would be nice.

how do you guys like your berries?

scribbles

Reaction score
I've got a blackberry on the Verizon network and as much as I HATE Verizon, I hate it less than AT&T and Sprint. I pay a little bit less than the $65 a month due to a nice company discount, but either way it's a good deal considering I have unlimited everything. I looked @ the iPhone, but $300 for a phone, $100+ a month, no insurance, crappy coverage in a lot of places I frequent, shady customer service, etc and well long story short, I stuck with the big red. If you do go with a BlackBerry on Verizon, buy the Tetherberry app. Its $50 (though I've seen it go on sale for as much as 50% off), but it allows you to tether your 3G service to your computer via bluetooth or USB. Verizon charges $30 a month on top of everything else for this privilege, so if you are on the go anywhere as much as I am, it pays for itself very quickly (think airports or other places that charge for their wifi services)

Just my 2 cents. Either way, @ $65 a month you are getting a great deal.

BP348

Reaction score
I have a BB with Verizon with no real complaints. My wife recently upgraded her old phone to a new Droid phone. I've been thinking about changing my BB for a droid phone.

I don't use my BB for business and the Droid does everything I'd want it to do. Basically the Verizon version of the iphone. Then again I've heard that Verizon is supposed to get the iphone this summer so maybe I'll wait.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think of the new Evo? with the Sprint plan apparently it's just a straight 70$ per month with unlimited everything except 450 anytime minutes (which is still a lot of minutes for me)

uvmboi13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
I have a BB with Verizon with no real complaints. My wife recently upgraded her old phone to a new Droid phone. I've been thinking about changing my BB for a droid phone.

I don't use my BB for business and the Droid does everything I'd want it to do. Basically the Verizon version of the iphone. Then again I've heard that Verizon is supposed to get the iphone this summer so maybe I'll wait.

LOL nope. Apple has a 5 year exclusive with AT&T so there is no iPhone coming to Verizon.

2007 is when iPhone came out so plus 5 years makes it 2012 before exclusivity ends.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2012 is gonna be wild.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Android phones are Linux based, which I love.
However I'm still not convinced they have all the kinks worked out just yet. It's only been around for a year, maybe?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
Android phones are Linux based, which I love.
However I'm still not convinced they have all the kinks worked out just yet. It's only been around for a year, maybe?

IF your looking for a good browser and QWERTY based keyboard, I highly recmmend staying away from the 8330. First, its a 2 cycle old phone (I got my first 8330 in 2007). second, Blackberrys have terrible browsers. 5.0 software is better than the 4.5 you will have on your 8330, but yours is too old to upgrade now. I would get a droid, an iphone, a palm, heck even an HTC or whatever else, but if your not a corporate blackberry/emial PDA type (and even then I would do something else), I woudnt do a bb. this is coming from a 5 year Blackberry user who the minute I enter a line of work where a BB isnt compulsory, I would switch in a heartbeat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads