• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black wool pants for business casual?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by englanderjk
So you buggers don't own a pair of well tailored, high quality, black wool "trousers" and if you did,...what,...you wouldn't wear them? I'd wear them in spite if you weren't (ALL) so pathetic. Sometimes you feel like yours eyes have been opened, and sometimes not. "Keeping them in their social places", WTF "J"? So my not wearing them gets me to a level of PC as well - hey I'm flouting disparity, damn my black-troused, insensitive, flouting, social placing, bastard ass. Still don't get it and it doesn't really matter but...you don't know **** from shinola in this case.

boy did i get a rise out of you. lets keep this lively.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
What about black casual pants? Is there no way to make slim black jeans or jean-cut trousers look good? What about black velvet pants? I suppose that these aren't that good for business settings though.

matter of fact i made my self a pair of black jeans. not bad but not great. wont do it again.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by englanderjk
Not angry just perplexed. Where do all those black pants go anyway? Furthermore, I didn't/don't mean to be an ass. Frustrated perhaps as one can be when simple principles are challenged. But the extension to rank and caste over and above general style principles was a bit unnerving. All is well and, as I stated above, I regret sounding so offensive.

if you are perplexed i dread being the but of your anger.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
IMG_1191.jpg

Not great, not bad, not a waiter. They're black wool twill (BB). I probably wouldn't wear them with just a shirt though.

no not a waiter, security i think.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
didnt mean to hijack. just wanted to stir things up a bit and have some fun. never had so many posts reply to something i said.
were a bit more staid on the other website.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite sportcoats is a large scale black and white SB houndstooth pattern. I often wear it with a powder blue shirt and black wool slacks. I hardly think you'd mistake me for a waiter.

When I have posed this example on here in the past, some have said wear gray flannels which in reality look ridicolous with this SC.

Nothing wrong with black slacks. To say you look like a waiter or security wearing them is just closed minded. Do people wearing DB jackets all look like airline pilots? Does everyone wearing a navy blazer and grey slacks look like security folk?

Finally not all black slacks are created equal (obviously). I think a well tailored pair of custom black flannels look a shade different than the ill-fitting polyester getups security men wear.

DL

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black odd trousers don't play well with most shirts, ties, shoes, and odd jackets.
Yes, I imagine this is the reason they have been avoided historically, and it is the reason I avoid them today. Black wool pants simply look awful most of the time -- and on the rare occasion that they work, the outfit could typically have been better still if the pants were switched out for a gray or navy or brown variant.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
Yes, I imagine this is the reason they have been avoided historically, and it is the reason I avoid them today. Black wool pants simply look awful most of the time -- and on the rare occasion that they work, the outfit could typically have been better still if the pants were switched out for a gray or navy or brown variant.

Agreed. They cost-to-use ratio with good black pants makes them something for a really full wardrobe--the man who has everything, so to speak. They are not what I'd recommend for someone looking to purchase their first three pairs of all-purpose wool dress slacks.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
One of my favorite sportcoats is a large scale black and white SB houndstooth pattern. I often wear it with a powder blue shirt and black wool slacks. I hardly think you'd mistake me for a waiter.

When I have posed this example on here in the past, some have said wear gray flannels which in reality look ridicolous with this SC.

Nothing wrong with black slacks. To say you look like a waiter or security wearing them is just closed minded. Do people wearing DB jackets all look like airline pilots? Does everyone wearing a navy blazer and grey slacks look like security folk?

Finally not all black slacks are created equal (obviously). I think a well tailored pair of custom black flannels look a shade different than the ill-fitting polyester getups security men wear.

DL

yes they do look like that.

sweisman

Reaction score
I agree with the minority that in the right fabric with the right shirt black is fine. Also, like someone said before it needs an interesting shoe as well...I wear a pair of wool flat fronts with a pair of black AE Mora double monk straps and various shirts (not solid white or blue etc.)...but the passion of this particular debate was great.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
yes they do look like that.

Who looks like what??

I look like a waiter in the example I posted?
DB SC wearing men look like airline pilots?
or navy blazer/grey slacks guy looks like security??

Which one did you mean atailor?

DL20

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Who looks like what??

I look like a waiter in the example I posted?
DB SC wearing men look like airline pilots?
or navy blazer/grey slacks guy looks like security??

Which one did you mean atailor?

DL20

I'd rather be a pilot. I think they get more chicks than Security.
cool.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
What about black casual pants? Is there no way to make slim black jeans or jean-cut trousers look good? What about black velvet pants? I suppose that these aren't that good for business settings though.
Black velvet pants are probably not good for business in the United States, unless in one of the glamour industries.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
You need to have elegant shoes. Please, please, no big clumsy square-toed Aldo jobs that haven't seen a polish in forever. Get a nice, long, pointed-toe shoe on a chiseled last.
Half the problem with black pants is that you need black business casual shoes to go with them. And who wants black business casual shoes? The other half of the problem is that black is so stark compared to coloured shirts. Maybe pastels would work, but a lot of shirts won't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads