• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black waxed denim... Thin Finn Dry Black Coated (TFDBC)

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
bumping this because im interested in a pair of black coated jeans, quite possibly the Thin Finns. Could anyone be kind enough to offer sizing advice? im around 33-34 in most jeans. I want a slim fit but not too tight. i know these are a slim model, i dont want mine to look painted on my thighs. i heard these run a little big, so would 33 be a safe bet without being too tight? or should i go true to size with a 34.
opinions are appreciated.

converge

Reaction score
I wear a 28" waist in Slim Jims, so should I size down to a 27" waist for the Finns?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They run about 1" big. I bought a pair from the denimbar sale. They are stretch denim too I believe but I will probably end up taking them to a tailor to have the waist altered.

falsestart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
They run about 1" big. I bought a pair from the denimbar sale. They are stretch denim too I believe but I will probably end up taking them to a tailor to have the waist altered.

yeah I agree, I typically wear a 29 and I have the thin finn black coated in 28 and they work fine. I have experienced some stretching but nothing atypical for a pre-washed jean. I 'm guessing they will just bounce back after a wash........

Karo

Reaction score
I got a pair about 2 months ago. I wear size 33 and I downsized to a 32. It didn't stretch as much as I had hope due to the 2% elastane. If you have big thighs or ass then I wouldn't suggest downsizing.

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karo
I got a pair about 2 months ago. I wear size 33 and I downsized to a 32. It didn't stretch as much as I had hope due to the 2% elastane. If you have big thighs or ass then I wouldn't suggest downsizing.

Would you suggest sizing up for athletic thighs and buttock
laugh.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Don't wash these to shrink them. Don't wash them, period. If they need to be clean, then dry clean them, as washing will remove the sheen and leave you with an ordinary pair of dull black jeans.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance Denim Bar will restock the Thin Finns soon? I waited on the sale too long and lost the pair I'd hoped to buy. Late last month I ordered a pair from BB Harris and received an e-mail confirmation, but they still haven't shipped and my phone calls have gone unreturned.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Don't wash these to shrink them. Don't wash them, period. If they need to be clean, then dry clean them, as washing will remove the sheen and leave you with an ordinary pair of dull black jeans.

Hand wash cycle in woolite inside out then line dry? Sounds less damaging to the fabrics than dry cleaning.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My true waist is a 31-32, depending. I bought my TFDBC in 31 and they fit perfectly with or without a belt. I expect them to stretch a bit to a 32 but not much more than that. Here are some shots of the shine starting to come out **********/crotch area after about 30 wears, in the first shot you can see the difference between the non-so-shiny legs.
PICT0327.JPG
PICT0328.JPG
PICT0326.JPG

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Hand wash cycle in woolite inside out then line dry? Sounds less damaging to the fabrics than dry cleaning.

I don't know, you could try it... I think that soaking them in water itself is going to kill the shine, but I don't want to find out.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i got them in 30, which is what i normally wear for jeans and they did fit a bit looser, but then again it's winter so i've been wearing thermals under them for the most part, but they fit fine without them, and no doubt they'll shrink a bit after the first wash.

what i want to know is if anyone's copped a pair of the dry grey coateds yet?

Karo

Reaction score
I have a relatively large buttocks but my thighs are not muscular. I find it just a tad uncomfortable right around the crotch area. (Maybe might be due to my large penis
laugh.gif
)

Does anyone know the difference btwn the sj and the tf black coated?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Same coating, the differences are simply the fit differences between the styles. TF is tapered skinny, SJ is slim straight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads