1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black-Waxed/Coated Denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by roguetheory, Jun 18, 2010.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

What size are they / do they differ from other diors? As I look into potential 19cm kops I have been perturbed by baffling inconsistencies.

2. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I'm a size 29 in most Diors (raws included), these are 29s, and are a size too small on me. These are the 19cm version, I believe the 17.5cms are more common as well. I haven't been wearing them for fear of stretching them, once I start work I know I'm gonna be working out less and will drop probably drop a couple pounds [​IMG]

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I wear the 17.5cm Nightfalls in a size 27.

4. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Hah, if they were 17.5s you'd basically be wearing leggings. I dunno, they look good in that pic, maybe could stand a bit of stretching right at the top of the upper block but for me black jeans should be pretty damn tight.

EDIT: Of course LK would outpost me and demonstrate that he can wear anything.

5. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Black waxed jeans in regular fit just don't make any damned sense to me. But you could try N&F slim guy blacks for a budget version (better than nudies, anyway). They're not waxed but they look / feel like they are.

Nudies are a budget jean?

6. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Yup... no matter what the store charges for them, they are indeed.

That didn't actually make sense. Alright, they're a budget jean because they're so ubiquitous they can be had cheap without too much difficulty, and they aren't worth more than that because they're not very well made and the denim isn't very good. Some models aren't that expensive even at MSRP... I think TFDBCs or SJDBCs are ~200 aren't they? I think I paid 198 -50% for my SJDGCs a year and a half ago.

7. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Hah, if they were 17.5s you'd basically be wearing leggings. I dunno, they look good in that pic, maybe could stand a bit of stretching right at the top of the upper block but for me black jeans should be pretty damn tight.
    Yeah, they're fine in the waist and leg, the thigh just looks kinda a gross sausage casing, and my thighs aren't even that big at all, just squats. It looked better when I was 10 pounds lighter. They look decent in the pic cause they're black and maybe hard to see, but my crotch is basically exploding. You can see better in a head on shot [​IMG]

8. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Yup... no matter what the store charges for them, they are indeed.

That didn't actually make sense. Alright, they're a budget jean because they're so ubiquitous they can be had cheap without too much difficulty, and they aren't worth more than that because they're not very well made and the denim isn't very good. Some models aren't that expensive even at MSRP... I think TFDBCs or SJDBCs are ~200 aren't they? I think I paid 198 -50% for my SJDGCs a year and a half ago.

Well I don't think the first reason is enough to qualify them as a budget jean. The second sure, but they're still the best pair of jeans I've ever owned.

$200 is a lot for jeans. You're desensitized by luxury.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

NN, yeah I could see it somewhat in the side view too, but do you think they'll stretch to accommodate? That's exactly the degree of nut-crunch I went for buying skinny jeans today in the expectation of their stretching about a full size. It definitely doesn't hurt that they're black though.

Cbrown, if a pair of nudies is the best jean you've owned you haven't owned any decent denim. Get one good pair from Selfedge, sized properly, and you'll be "desensitized" too, to the extent that sub 200 dollar jeans will basically look like beaters. 200 isn't a small amount to spend, 275-300 is pretty much the max (Diors aside) and 200 isn't that far off, but in light of the fact that good jeans are usually in that 275 range, it's not "a lot" either. And regardless of what it says on the price tag, cheap jeans re: construction and quality are still cheap jeans. True Religion should be proof enough of that. Only reason to pay retail for Nudies is that the cut works better for you than any of the cheaper options. Same thing with Acne. Thankfully it's a totally legitimate reason.

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will stretch in the thighs, especially if I sag them. Just a little wary too because yeah, I do like my black jeans super skinny, I'm just hitting the gym a lot more than usual due to excess free time and will likely lose my thigh muscles when I move Here's a pic of 19cm raws in the same size (hemmed to 35in, tho) for comparison,doing my best JDMAY pose too haha [​IMG]

11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

NN, yeah I could see it somewhat in the side view too, but do you think they'll stretch to accommodate? That's exactly the degree of nut-crunch I went for buying skinny jeans today in the expectation of their stretching about a full size. It definitely doesn't hurt that they're black though.

Cbrown, if a pair of nudies is the best jean you've owned you haven't owned any decent denim. Get one good pair from Selfedge, sized properly, and you'll be "desensitized" too, to the extent that sub 200 dollar jeans will basically look like beaters. 200 isn't a small amount to spend, 275-300 is pretty much the max (Diors aside) and 200 isn't that far off, but in light of the fact that good jeans are usually in that 275 range, it's not "a lot" either. And regardless of what it says on the price tag, cheap jeans re: construction and quality are still cheap jeans. True Religion should be proof enough of that. Only reason to pay retail for Nudies is that the cut works better for you than any of the cheaper options. Same thing with Acne. Thankfully it's a totally legitimate reason.

Look at my join date. And post count. And my extensive knowledge of the UBC campus. Denim hasn't been on my mind until recently.

12. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Thankfully it's a totally legitimate reason.

This is true .. . I don't buy Dior raws for the denim quality, I buy them because it's a really good cut. I used to be into crazy Japanese denim, but aside from the fact that I like the way artificial indigo fades a little more nowadays, most cuts are a little too backwards for me. APC, Dior, Acne, even Uni-Qlo make some of the best jeans because the they're very flattering cuts

13. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Yeah that's why I like the Max right now; for 220 or whatever the hardware is crap, the denim is meh (though Acne's raw is a really nice shade imo) but the cut is awesome for me. More props for the max cash, to digress from the digression - although it's not a waxed jean, just flat black. Didn't buy them today but if I'd wanted something less shiny than the skinny guys I would have.

But it's a jean cut, whether it's Imperial / Skull / Eternal / Flathead or Acne / Dior / APC the one thing that's always true to the point of obviousness is what cut looks best depends on the person wearing it... for some 19cms don't work at all and Iron Heart 634s suit them / their body type / what they wear. The problem up here is that aside from Dutil carrying PBJ over the last year, the really good japanese stuff isn't locally obtainable and it's hard to know exactly how to size something you haven't tried on. I will say this though, if I had to wear one pair of jeans for the rest of my life, it would be the Skull 5010xx. You can talk up 19cm or New Standard for the cut all you want but Fab Four pretty much nailed it. Unfortunately I think my pair is going to end up stretching out beyond "perfect do-everything jean" status.

14. Eason

Eason Senior member

baller in tha houz.

bitches love shiny things they're like magpies

lmao fuck

15. roguetheory

roguetheory Senior member

So a pair of Nudie Slim Jim's in a size 34" measure in at 11.0" in the thigh and 8" in the knee according to this chart I'm looking at. I have a pair of APC Rescues in a size 29, which are 10.75" in the thigh, and 9.5" in the knee, which I'm using as a fit reference.

Therefore which is the better option, to go with the Nudies in a size 34" which are 11" in the thigh and 8.5" in the knee and have them taken in at the waist to a size 32". Or should I go with the 32's with an 8" knee?

I'm asking because I'm worried that they're going to be too tight in the knee seeing how they're 1.5" smaller than the Rescues. Then again they'll stretch (but to what degree?) and they have 2% elastane. Would appreciate some input! [​IMG]

16. snake

snake Senior member

I'm a size 29 in most Diors (raws included), these are 29s, and are a size too small on me. These are the 19cm version, I believe the 17.5cms are more common as well.

I haven't been wearing them for fear of stretching them, once I start work I know I'm gonna be working out less and will drop probably drop a couple pounds [​IMG]

Sounds like it'd be best to size up one on the nightfalls? My size 28 raws are pretty tight so I might need 29s it seems like..

17. cez

cez Senior member

Fit is spot on imo.

18. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Man, fuck this thread. Now I want those.

19. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

I need the nightfalls.

20. Jinx88

Jinx88 Active Member

You should be fine with the Slim Jims. I have a pair and even though they were semi-tight when I first got them, they have stretched out a bit now (and they will probably stretch out a little more from what I've read).