1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black VS Brown Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lemmywinks, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

^god reading that post just made me want to go to vegas really badly for some reason

2. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

3. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I understand what you're saying, but many stylistic choices are made precisely because a particular piece carries certain connotations. I mean, when a designer appropriates a style from biker or S&M subculture (to use Fuuma's examples), the designer isn't erasing those associations but highlighting and recontextualizing them. You can't make something your own without acknowledging that it was someone else's first.

Black leather is an aggressive, typically masculine material. This is exactly why Schott Perfectos are so badass, and why the Gestapo looked so terrifying. At the same time, this creates a higher degree of difficulty for the wearer. It makes a statement, and that statement is not "I'll meet you for gin and tonics at the club." Sure, you can use washed lamb or some other softened/wrinkled leather or whatever but then you're just highlighting the contrast between the altered material and traditional "black leather," with all that implies.

I've seen aeglus pull off a Perfecto-type jacket in WAYWT, but it's not an easy look (I could not do it) and he deserves credit for making it look good.

jet, have you posted to ratemydoodie.com yet? I bet they would love to see your leathery, artfully distressed extrusions.

Are you 172 years old?

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Fuuma, I generally like your intellectual insights, but Paul Fussel wrote "The Great War in Modern Memory" one of the most brilliant books on literary history pretty much ever, so, in that regarard go die in a poststructuralist fire.

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Fuuma, I generally like your intellectual insights, but Paul Fussel wrote "The Great War in Modern Memory" one of the most brilliant books on literary history pretty much ever, so, in that regarard go die in a poststructuralist fire.

cool story bro

6. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

As Paul Fussel wrote: "Only six things can be made of black leather without causing class damage to the owner: belts, shoes, handbags, gloves, camera cases, and dog leashes."

The man is a genius.

7. jet

jet Senior member

so he is the polar opposite of you in other words?

8. danilo

danilo Senior member

I have a chocolate brown bomber I got on ebay, I like it, it's very dark so I think it's easy to wear with almost anything. I wish I had a black leather jacket as well though. [​IMG]

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

hahahahaha

so he is the polar opposite of you in other words?

10. Wayshawnderullo

Wayshawnderullo New Member

Hey i know this post was made two years ago. but i have been searching for this jacket and cant seem to find it. can anyone help a brother out?