Black VS Brown Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lemmywinks, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I hate brown and black (is that an mc rule?) but I do navy and black on the regular. I also despise the normal ubiquitous shade of brown you see everywhere, I'm more of a cognac, taupe, beige kind of guy and I have one pair of dark chocolatey brown boots that are amazingly rich. The only other brown that is acceptable is cigar shell.
    We're 95% on the same page here except I also like "cognac" and "wine". Basically browns that aren't flat and age by becoming more complex by integrating various hues. As to the OP well it depends on the stuff you'll wear it with, I'd generally say that if you're only going to have one leather jacket black is the best choice but then I only own black and white leather jackets.

2. BB1

BB1 Senior member

we just got andyliu'ed here so bad [​IMG]

In the leather jacket thread someone just compared that awful RL leather to Batman's outfit. Seems like a surprisingly good comparison. It does have a certain super hero like quality.

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

We're 95% on the same page here except I also like "cognac" and "wine". Basically browns that aren't flat and age by becoming more complex by integrating various hues.

As to the OP well it depends on the stuff you'll wear it with, I'd generally say that if you're only going to have one leather jacket black is the best choice but then I only own black and white leather jackets.

I think we're 100% if you re-read my post pimpin. Was also going to recommend burgundy as a substitute for plain horrid brown.

4. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

5. robbz9206

robbz9206 Senior member

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I hate brown and black...

I love brown and black together. It is very YSL circa early 70s.

7. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

we just got andyliu'ed here so bad [​IMG]

awesome kamen rider steez

[​IMG]

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm with Fuuma and jet. I don't really like the ubiquitous "off duty cop" brown, but prefer unusual browns like Port, Cognac, whiskey, etc... and also greys. I will wear black, but prefer it to look a little washed out and busted up, or be, again, an unusual shade like a blue-black.

FWIW, I sometimes allow these types of threads to stand if I think that they might stimulate conversation and discussions. I will delete threads that ask "Which of these 2 sneakers", especially when they are both ugly Steve Madden Aldo love children, or "Which slim jeans?"

9. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

awesome kamen rider steez

Did this guy have different vehicles that were also kind of insectile? I'm about 90% sure I remember some earlier iteration of this from my childhood.

10. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Did this guy have different vehicles that were also kind of insectile? I'm about 90% sure I remember some earlier iteration of this from my childhood.

Kamen Rider aired briefly on Fox Kids but it airs in Japan to this day, with different themes for each season. The one that aired on Fox Kids did have an insect theme.

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

no the model looks like chris bale

In the leather jacket thread someone just compared that awful RL leather to Batman's outfit. Seems like a surprisingly good comparison. It does have a certain super hero like quality.

12. DLester

DLester Senior member

I hate brown and black (is that an mc rule?) but I do navy and black on the regular. I also despise the normal ubiquitous shade of brown you see everywhere, I'm more of a cognac, taupe, beige kind of guy and I have one pair of dark chocolatey brown boots that are amazingly rich. The only other brown that is acceptable is cigar shell.

for jackets I prefer the rich chocolate browns and have a moto in that color.

edit: you may be able to wear beige leather with your coloring, but I just can't do that. : /

pics are better than words for this type of debate, so . . .

here is a good brown:

Oh btw, I made the Bomber in brown, to demonstrate the brown. It's also beautiful, maybe more so than the black Bomber even. Put on, I feel hella fucking 'Top Gun' in it, haha. (this is not a photoshop btw) [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is a bad brown:

[​IMG]

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think the type also plays a role in the color. Like for me, a moto/dr would look best in black or some unusual colorways (red, navy, etc..) while bombers looks better in brown (along with different shades of it).

14. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

As Paul Fussel wrote: "Only six things can be made of black leather without causing class damage to the owner: belts, shoes, handbags, gloves, camera cases, and dog leashes."

15. mfrege

mfrege Senior member

here is what brown will look like after 10-15 years:

[​IMG]

fixed