1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black VS Brown Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lemmywinks, Oct 17, 2010.

1. jet

jet Senior member

^ Jet, what's your opinion on wearing black and brown leather together? I was hoping you'd comment before Who shut it down. I know you recently said that you were against the matchy matchy stuff but I think you also were against black with brown on WAYWT not too long ago (I don't remember the context though). Thanks

I hate brown and black (is that an mc rule?) but I do navy and black on the regular. I also despise the normal ubiquitous shade of brown you see everywhere, I'm more of a cognac, taupe, beige kind of guy and I have one pair of dark chocolatey brown boots that are amazingly rich. The only other brown that is acceptable is cigar shell.

2. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

If you can only buy one I'd go charcoal/dark grey instead.

3. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

questions like this don't get answered because they're shitty questions

4. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Will the proportions of my leather look odd with my massive soccer player thighs?

5. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Medium brown leather goes with everything. Black leather is generic and looks like any other leather.

6. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Unless it's something iconic (like Dior, RO etc), I'd stay away from traditional black/brown colors and go with something different: cognac, olive, gray (faded black)

7. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

you should get a brown and black leather jacket.. kill two birds with one stone. [​IMG]

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Medium brown leather goes with everything. Black leather is generic and looks like any other leather.
    I feel like black leather goes better w/more adventurous designs whereas brown goes better w/traditional stuff like bombers I've done black leather all my life, saving up for a nice brown bomber now

9. BB1

BB1 Senior member

My answer: Neither color

I would pick a dark charcoal or gray instead. But if you have to choose between only pure black or brown, then I would go with black. Brown leathers are worn mostly by older men wearing more traditional fits from what I've observed. Nothing wrong with going down that path, but be sure that's the vibe your aiming for.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

you should get a brown and black leather jacket.. kill two birds with one stone.

[​IMG]

we just got andyliu'ed here so bad [​IMG]

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I hate brown and black (is that an mc rule?) but I do navy and black on the regular. I also despise the normal ubiquitous shade of brown you see everywhere, I'm more of a cognac, taupe, beige kind of guy and I have one pair of dark chocolatey brown boots that are amazingly rich. The only other brown that is acceptable is cigar shell.
    We're 95% on the same page here except I also like "cognac" and "wine". Basically browns that aren't flat and age by becoming more complex by integrating various hues. As to the OP well it depends on the stuff you'll wear it with, I'd generally say that if you're only going to have one leather jacket black is the best choice but then I only own black and white leather jackets.

12. BB1

BB1 Senior member

In the leather jacket thread someone just compared that awful RL leather to Batman's outfit. Seems like a surprisingly good comparison. It does have a certain super hero like quality.

13. jet

jet Senior member

We're 95% on the same page here except I also like "cognac" and "wine". Basically browns that aren't flat and age by becoming more complex by integrating various hues.

As to the OP well it depends on the stuff you'll wear it with, I'd generally say that if you're only going to have one leather jacket black is the best choice but then I only own black and white leather jackets.

I think we're 100% if you re-read my post pimpin. Was also going to recommend burgundy as a substitute for plain horrid brown.

14. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

15. robbz9206

robbz9206 Senior member

16. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I hate brown and black...

I love brown and black together. It is very YSL circa early 70s.

17. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

awesome kamen rider steez

[​IMG]

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm with Fuuma and jet. I don't really like the ubiquitous "off duty cop" brown, but prefer unusual browns like Port, Cognac, whiskey, etc... and also greys. I will wear black, but prefer it to look a little washed out and busted up, or be, again, an unusual shade like a blue-black.

FWIW, I sometimes allow these types of threads to stand if I think that they might stimulate conversation and discussions. I will delete threads that ask "Which of these 2 sneakers", especially when they are both ugly Steve Madden Aldo love children, or "Which slim jeans?"

19. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

awesome kamen rider steez

Did this guy have different vehicles that were also kind of insectile? I'm about 90% sure I remember some earlier iteration of this from my childhood.

20. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Did this guy have different vehicles that were also kind of insectile? I'm about 90% sure I remember some earlier iteration of this from my childhood.

Kamen Rider aired briefly on Fox Kids but it airs in Japan to this day, with different themes for each season. The one that aired on Fox Kids did have an insect theme.